Tfw have good ideas and my writing is alright, but it's too bland and boring

>tfw have good ideas and my writing is alright, but it's too bland and boring

How do I write with a more carefree style? I want my sentences to all be different and interesting, while maintaining a level of rhythm within my prose. A good example of what I want to achieve is Nabokov. I don't care if you like him or not, but he had a certain "flowery" style that came across as effortless on his part. I've had some short stories published, but they're fucking boring and stale. It's the same sentence structure throughout. I want something more fun. Please, I want to write in a more stylish way. How can I do this, Veeky Forums?

smoke heroin

Please, this is serious.

reviewbrah lookin good here

>how do i train like nabokov
you might want to try someone who didn't learn languages with dictionary and literary novels. if you don't, get some dictionaries and his recommendation list in the original languages.

Read more. Write more. Nothing else works.

It can't be all that dictionary reading that led to his smooth, joyful prose. It had to be something else.

russian assonance if you trust him

When did he write about this?

This is correct

rewrite your shit. This time try to be more carefree.

Oh, I'm definitely rewriting it, but how do I become carefree when I can't stop thinking about making the writing as good as possible?

notes on prosody is all about it. nabokov writing about nabokov is a trip

>I want to be as good as Nabokov.

Yeah dude we all do.

It's mix of practice, reading, and clarity of vision. Practicing and reading provides you with the tools and skills to write well and your vision provides you confidence and a line you can follow along. Improv writing or writing with a vague idea of where you're going is going to drag you into a lot of brick walls and you'll find yourself scrambling for words and over-thinking it. Having confidence in what you're writing and really feeling it will help you write "effortlessly" (I put that in quotation marks because I don't quite think it counts as effortless). Some of the best stuff I've written has been when I've gotten into "the Zone" and everything just flows out. The reason I can do that is because I've been writing since I was a kid, I've spent time reading books to help expand my vocabulary and understanding of the medium, and because I have a clear vision of what I'm writing. This is not to say I'm some great writer or anything, the point I'm making is that I can write at my personal best due to these things, even if my best might not be that great. If you are more talented, with a more astute mind, this advice should hopefully bring that out in your writing.

just write what you want to say and then rewrite to how you want to say it. repeat til happy.

> I said, ‘A line will take us hours maybe;
> Yet if it does not seem a moment’s thought,
> Our stitching and unstitching has been naught.

Read and write poetry.

Practice. That faggot had been writing tons even before flying to America.

>"flowery" style that came across as effortless
>Nabakov
>Not Laurie Lee
Read Cider with Rosie user

>tfw you have quite good ideas and a good writing style but no work ethic

Honestly, the modern world has way too many distractions for people like me, those who aren't very industrious.
I reckon, in a previous time, I could've had writing as my main hobby and done a lot better.
Alas, computers.

Just keep writing over and over, more and more. You'll eventually get a feel for it, and you also should read more.

Keep telling yourself that.

What are you insinuating?

He's insinuating that you aren't very industrious in writing because you don't care enough to get good, so you shouldn't blame technology for your shortcomings. If anything, technology generally has made it easier to indulge in your hobbies, but you're more concerned with whatever distractions and timesinks make up your day.

I already am quite good at writing, I said so, I just don't write enough because I am not industrious.
Never did I blame technology for my shortcomings.
Technology has introduced new hobbies which I now enjoy more than writing, in the past these hobbies didn't exist.

You need to improve your reading comprehension mate.

Admittedly, mine was a hasty reply, but your post still reads like every other post lamenting their short attention spans or how they would be better if things were different, so I regret nothing.

It's literally me saying that modern technology exacerbates my faults to the point where I can't finish a book.
What is your problem?

Not sure, I think I'm missing something.

Well tell me if you find it.