Post some great aphorisms and wisdom that you've come across

Post some great aphorisms and wisdom that you've come across.

Here's two from Marcus Aurelius:

>"Choose not to be harmed — and you won't feel harmed. Don't feel harmed — and you haven't been."

>“Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”

Ask not for lighter burdens, but broader shoulders

>If you marry, you will regret it; if you do not marry, you will also regret it; if you marry or do not marry, you will regret both; Laugh at the world’s follies, you will regret it, weep over them, you will also regret that; laugh at the world’s follies or weep over them, you will regret both; whether you laugh at the world’s follies or weep over them, you will regret both. Believe a woman, you will regret it, believe her not, you will also regret that; believe a woman or believe her not, you will regret both; whether you believe a woman or believe her not, you will regret both. Hang yourself, you will regret it; do not hang yourself, and you will also regret that; hang yourself or do not hang yourself, you will regret both; whether you hang yourself or do not hang yourself, you will regret both. This, gentlemen, is the sum and substance of all philosophy

From the Philokalia (Evagrios the Solitary):
>A monk should always act as if he was going to die tomorrow; yet he should treat his body as if it was going to live for many years.

At dawn, when you have trouble getting out of bed, tell yourself: 'I have to go to work — as a human being. What do I have to complain of, if I'm going to do what I was born for — the things I was brought into the world to do? Or is this what I was created for? To huddle under the blankets and stay warm?'

more aurelius

That's a good one.

All the Meditations fucking rocks.

you ugly, case-carrying, cold-handed bag carrier!’ (a thíagánaig étig aitig úarlámaig!)

was this the Persian philosopher Zyzz?

>stab Marcus Aurelius
>he chooses not to feel harmed
>dies anyways

?

I believe it's some jewish proverb, but I don't know for sure

I once was young and traveled alone.
I met another and thought myself rich.
Man is the joy of man.

>on greed
The thirst of the sufferer never ceases and is never allayed by the administration of liquids from without, unless we cure the morbid condition of the body itself, so it is impossible to satiate the greed for gain, unless we correct by reasoning the vice inherent in the soul.

>fortune
As the vulgar proverb says, it is possible for a human being to be fortunate, but impossible for him to be constantly so… They are blessed to whom Fortune was kind for the greater part of their lives, and who, when she deserted them, only met with moderate misfortunes.

It is chiefly at those moments when we ourselves or our country are most successful that we should reflect on the opposite extremity of fortune; for only thus, and then with difficulty, shall we prove moderate in the season of prosperity

“What do you think the Alps are? Are they anything worse than high mountains? Say, if you will, that they are higher than the Pyrenees, but what of it? No part of earth reaches the sky; no height is insuperable to men.”

When every man must die, all that mattered was whether he died fighting in the line, where the common chances of war often raised the vanquished and crushed the victor, or whether later on amidst the smouldering ruins of the town, dishonoured by chains and tortured with the lash, he breathed his last before the eyes of wife and children, prisoners in the enemy’s hands.

Solon was curious to see the place where Myson spent his days, and found him at the threshing-floor fitting a handle to a plough. To make trial of the man Solon said, “Now is not the season for the plough, Myson.” “Not to use it,” he replied, “but to make it ready.”

Croesus, after he had displayed to the men the felicity of his kingdom and the multitude of the peoples subject to him, asked Anacharsis, who was older than the other men of wisdom, “Whom do you consider to be the bravest of living beings?” He replied, “the wildest animals; for they alone willingly die in order to maintain their freedom.”

It is an excellent thing for later generations to bear in mind, that whatever is the manner of life a man chooses to live while on this earth, such is the remembrance which he will be thought worthy of after his death; this principle should be followed, in order that later generations may not set their hearts upon the erection of memorials in stone which are limited to a single spot and subject to quick decay, but upon reason and the virtues in general which range everywhere upon the lips of fame.

The gods take no pleasure in either the sacrifices or costly gifts of the wicked but in the just and honourable practices of good men.

He who maintains his savagery unalterable amid human misfortunes also fails to take proper account of the common weakness of mankind. For no man is so wise that his strength can prevail over Fortune, which of its nature finds delight in the sufferings of men and works swift changes in prosperity.

>“Nothing exists; all is a dream. God—man—the world—the sun, the moon, the wilderness of stars—a dream, all a dream; they have no existence. Nothing exists save empty space—and you!”

>Shoulda did SS

Mark Rippetoe

thanks kierkegaard

Error: You must wait 1 second before posting a reply.

Not exactly sure if shitposting, but this is such a prevalent interpretation that I'll bite.

Of course you will have a wound if you get stabbed. Of course you can't just decide to not get lung cancer from smoking. He is not talking about that though. The stoic sage could sit inside the Brazen Bull and still be content with his position. Of course this is absolutely impossible and the stoics admit this. It's simply an ideal to strife for, because the road to it holds merit in itself. Almost all "sage-based" ideologies have this sentiment in one form or another. You won't be like Jesus, won't be a Buddha, won't become the ubermensch, won't be a stoic sage, but hell, you won't end up worse off if you try.

The aforementioned sentiment does not necessarily reflect the user's philosophical opinion or standpoint.

1.Never let no one know How much,dough you hold.
2.Never let em know your next move.
3.Never trust nobody.
4.Never get high, on your own supply.
5.Never sell no crack where you rest at.
6.That God damn credit, dead it.
7.Keep your family and business completely seperated.
8.Never keep no weight on you.
9.If you ain’t gettin bags stay the fuck from police.
10.A strong word called consignment,If you ain’t got the clientele say hell no

>>“Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”

Marcus Aurelius did not say this for the record.

>You won't be like Jesus, won't be a Buddha, won't become the ubermensch, won't be a stoic sage
says you

I believe he's talking about things that only hurt you because you have decided they have and nothing else. He means a mental hurt and not a physical one.