Who /comfy paper/ here

who /comfy paper/ here

What is this paper called and why isn't it the standard?

that's some solid paper

They're called deckled edges.

This is how books actually look after they're bound, the smooth edges are obtained by cutting down the length of each signature to remove the unevenness. Ironic, since deckled edges are usually found on more expensive books, it's cheaper to produce than straight edges.

This might be wrong, I only have experience with hand-binding books, not doing it industrially.

My IJ is comfy too user, feels great to rub finger down.

like the other user said, deckled edges.

The reason why deckled edges aren't the standard is twofold: first, before anything else, deckled edges /greatly hamper, and consequently reduce the quality of the experience of actually using a book/. Deckled edges add a few, frustrating split-seconds to every time that you try to land on an exact page, whether to pick up where you left off, or to review a particular passage. These frustrated split-seconds make all the difference in the world. This is absolutely and irrefutably true, and if you disagree, then you reveal yourself as a person who has never actually used a book with deckled edges, thereby using the book for its intended purpose.

The second consideration is that deckled edges are /ugly/. Here there is room for subjectivity (there is no such room on the above point), but you ought to be made to understand how awful it is to have pages looking like that. It's hipster, artsy, even and especially in the case that certain book binders have a fetish for the form. They just want to do something different, an art-object as it were. But the resulting art object is the worst of both worlds, being neither functional nor aesthetic.

Yes yes, a thousand times yes, the odd paper cut is well worth the usual absence of the deckled edge from our daily lives. And I don't like paper cuts.

If it were really that good and desirable for

again with this.

if you can't fan yourself CLEANLY and FULLY with your paperback novel, by smoothly releasing one page to the next in rapid succession, like a big ol' flip book, you are not reading a true book, you are reading a stack of receipt paper with clever ways to get you to take their respective survey! I will have you know your opinions have been considered and thrown in the god damn trash.

Very interesting & thanks

I disagree with your points desu. I dont know if you are being ironic here tho

I guess my question to that is - ok the pages' edges are deckled but what I've also noticed is this type of paper that is used on these 'deckled edges' books. They are 'rougher' and more 'cardboard-y' than non-deckled edges which often feel very thin, cheap, or worst of all, smooth, or a combination of the three.

Is there anything epcific with the paper used for these deckled edged books?

very interesting. i prefer them even if they are a bitch to flick through

I own some books with deckled edges and I've never had an issue finding a the page I left off on, or flipping to a page I wanted to review. Try flipping with the bottom or top of the pages instead of the sides. Besides, idk why you seem to think that it's the end of the world that you don't get to your pages immediately, just have a little bit of patience. To your second point, deckled edged books feel nicer in the hand in my opinion; all homey, thick, and substantial, who cares if it feels "hipster" or some shit, it's hardly a recent fad: books have been doing this for centuries.

probably not.

scholarly texts typically use high quality paper in order to insure that the books will have long shelf lives for applications in libraries, study, etc.

ive never seen an academic text with deckled edges.

>desire to trim every page, one by one with a paper cutter intensifies

Notice how you advocate using a different edge of the paper in order to achieve a specific function. This demonstrates the objective inferiority of the deckeled edge, and I am happy that you agree.

You defend the deckledge edge, while at the same time stupidly side-stepping the central problem of its form that I had raised, by instead suggesting another edge which is functionally identical with the modern standard (straight got-damn edged paper). But even this is wrong, and we don't even need to raise this point, but we'll do so anyway to just hammer it home: one does not flip through a got-damn book by flipping through the /tops and bottoms/ of a got-damn page, unless one is grasping at straws to justify the deckled edge. Also important, most books have the tops and bottom edges of their pages being shorter than that of their sides, and generally closer to the spine, so that /thumbing through the tops and bottoms of a page is objectively a less-natural motion for a human being to take when manipulating a book.

Try harder.

dumb redditspacer

based

deckled edges certainly are not the most practical but people who vehemently hate them are annoying. it's just an aesthetic thing to make the books have a certain feel

It triggers my autismo desu senpai. I just want to make all the pages smooth like my other books.

>like the other user said, deckled edges.

literally everything else you said is just sad.

You must be related to F.W. Taylor?

i thought this was supposed to mimic the rough edges you used to get from cutting the book yourself - books would come with every 20 pages or so in a packet, which is still how they glue paperbacks

>this post

Was it autism?

My copy of The Public Burning just arrived and it has these pages, I love it.

That said, a huge chunk was taken out of the cover during shipping ;___;

My copy of War and Peace has these edges