Is it as good as LoTR?

Is it as good as LoTR?

The only thing these two book franchises have in common is the medieval warfare theme. I read a deal of Tolkien and I enjoyed his use of language more than I did Martin's. But Martin's plot-weaving shows great skill and is something that Tolkien had never thought of back in his time. If you haven't read LoTR, read that first. But, since it is implied that have, I think this series will amaze you. Enjoy!

implied that you have,*

Don't read it. First 3 are good, next two are garbage, final 2 will never happen. Unless you like being blueballed after having your cock pummeled..

Semi-related, is there a way to get comfy audiobooks of this without torrenting? It seemed nice to fall asleep to.

Why would I get blueballed if 4 and 5 are garbage?

>Is it as good as LoTR?
No. They aren't even alike.

And if you're considering purchasing or reading ASOIAF, tbhwyf pic related is one of my shelves. These are the books that are out. 1-3 were "okay." 4-5 are hot garbage. The public knows the books are shit. We know this now. We didn't know it before we started. Don't bother with this series. If I were you, I'd spend my time and money on something good.

7 in the series, author will likely never finish.

It's better

I hope no one actually thinks they're better than LotR

>One written by a WWI veteran/Oxford professor
>The other written by an obese man-baby who worked a little on the twilight zone
hmm

Martin is an absolute garbage-tier writer.

They're actually really great and Martin is an incredible storyteller. Best fantasy series imo

no, it's better

Far from it, but if you want something that is you should read The Chronicles Of Amber. Zelazny was Martin's mentor.

Better off just watching the show for the battles and the tits.

The books are fucking terrible, people just pretend they're good so they can say "Huh, I ACKSHULLY read the books first"

Nobody cares. The show is better, don't even bother wasting your time with the books.

I've never read Tolkein, but these books are absolute garbage. I tried to read them even before I was a resolute literary snob, and I couldn't make it past the second book.

Prose like garbage. Plot is bad. World-building is fairly uninteresting.

The show is better, and I'm not even a fan of that.

But if you're a fan of trashy, genre fantasy, or gritty genre fiction, you might like them.

Martin isn't as good a writer as Tolkien by a country mile. I feel like he tries to be like Tolkien by being very descriptive, he fails and the books drag because of endless descriptions of pointless shit, Tolkien could write descriptions that were interesting to read and always contributed to the picture of the world.

That being said, ASOIAF has pretty good plot and characters, it's a good read overall imho. It's more gritty, characters die a lot but mostly i feel like it's for shock value, more warfare, less magic. I liked the parts beyond the wall the most, i'm not that into politics and intrigue.

Zelazny is great. Can definitely recommend. If you like both sci-fi and fantasy then you HAVE to read Lord of Light, one of my favorite sci-fi and fantasy book of all time.

>The public knows the books are shit. We know this now. We didn't know it before we started. Don't bother with this series. If I were you, I'd spend my time and money on something good.
Virtuous posting.

Martin was a consciousnesses objector of Vietnam

>consciousnesses
LOL
is that supposed to be conscientious?

He's terrible at writing about battles and his sexual fantasies definitely come out in this book. Other than that they are pretty good. I'd wait till he finishes them. These books take a decent amount of time to read due to the mass amount of characters in the book and they are 1000 pages long.

>I'd wait until he finishes them
Come on, we all know that's never going to open. That tub of lard just spends all his time with the television series now. Winds of winter was supposed to release what, two years ago? I'd be surprised if it were even halfway done.

>open
Happen*

He isn't involved with tv show anymore, he's just stuck and has no motivation to write.

>He isn't involved with the tv show anymore
I see that you haven't heard the news of the multiple spinoff series being produced.

He has winds of winter pretty much wrapped up, right?

Money gave him writers block. Sad!

If you like a series that will never have an ending it might be

What are the tax policies like in westeros?

No. Martin is a good writter, especially by fantasy standards, but he desperately needs someone to tell him "no" or "make it 500 instead of 1000 pages" or "Don't have Arya escape Harronhall by throwing soup at the guards, that's retarded".