So, she's translated Flaubert and Proust...

So, she's translated Flaubert and Proust, she has a huge collected stories publication that one numerous international prizes, she is considered one of the foremost prose stylists of our time.

How the FUCK does she get away with writing stories that are literally sometimes one or two sentences?

Brevity is the soul of wit.

Here is one of her stories:

Judgement

Into how small a space the word judgement can be compressed: it must fit inside the brain of a ladybug as she, before my eyes, makes a decision.

>literally sometimes one or two sentences
For sale: baby shoes, never worn.

>if you're going to be lazy at least be honest about it.

>translated In Search of Lost Time
>lazy

You really fucked yourself with this one.

Or, as I say, "Brevity..."

>So, she's translated Flaubert and Proust, she has a huge collected stories publication that one numerous international prizes, she is considered one of the foremost prose stylists of our time.

But can she see why kids love the taste of Cinnamon Toast Crunch?

That colon is ON FUCKING POINT though. I'd buy a copy just to hang it above my computer.

Kinda japanese

Do you think women go around thinking about ladybugs and judgment? What woman have you ever met who does that? They go shopping, buy lipsticks, talk about how much they love cake.

She is still just a woman playing pretend. Women do not have those kind of literary thoughts but because they're trained to be such militant feminists with chips on their shoulder, they are sometimes good at pretending to be men.

If those one or two sentences are really good, what's the problem? You're not particularly up to date when it comes to writing, it seems.

>she

>you get offended and redirect every triggering post that you see

protip: you're worse than he is

Her stories are great.

>ladybug

Fuck off.

>"protip"
>leddit spacing

kek

Is this just saying that anything can judge and be judged?

Did you just assume the gender of that insect? Just because it's pretty and might take a long time to make up its tiny mind?

she's also a really humble/nice person irl

If you've read her longer stories you know she can do the work, so the flash shit isn't so annoying cause she clearly isn't a dumb college student who thinks she invented a new an exciting form of laziness.

Trite

Postmodernism was a mistake

This is good

That was Hemingway's only story of such short length and was, iirc, written on a bet

Incorrect, ladybugs don't think in language.

I can't stand it when humanities majors try to pretend that nature is profound.

epic.............

>what is personification

Shit. Personification is shit.

>It's just a joke
>It's o-ok if it's just a joke

If it's so easy to do this, why can't you?

oh thanks professor

>one sentence that's better than everything everyone on Veeky Forums ever wrote
Pretty based.

I didn't say it was easy FOR ME, I said it was easy for Hemingway, whose specialty par excellence was minimalism. My point was that he only had to do it once to get the point across.

Also, it now occurs to me that that passage about a ladybug isn't even a short story. It has no narrative. It's some kind of anemic philosophical dissertation, at best.

The story isn't from Hemingway though.

false, she separates the subject from the verb so she is super plebs

the CORRECT way is
it must fit inside the brain of a ladybug as she makes, before my eyes, a decision.

I was about to disagree with you, granting her the artistic license to make that grammatical error, but I actually prefer your sentence.

You're welcome.

i dont get it

what does this mean?

It means you need to go back to school

why?

It called a "joke". I can see how you miss the point of the example story with such a dim bulb going in your skull.

>It called a "joke". I can see how you miss the point of the example story with such a dim bulb going in your skull.

For all us dim bulbs. What does it mean?

What does what mean?

>Into how small a space the word judgement can be compressed: it must fit inside the brain of a ladybug as she, before my eyes, makes a decision.

What about it are you having trouble with?

it's about how the ladybug is judging her while she's judging the ladybug
it's not terribly clever but still managed to confuse you I guess

The word "judgment" is not being compressed though. It's the idea of judgment which is a very different thing. She seems like a hack if she mixed this up. The word is not being compressed because the ladybug thinks not in English nor any other human language.

>it's about how the ladybug is judging her while she's judging the ladybug

What, exactly, indicates that the ladybug is judging the narrator?

>as she, before my eyes, makes a decision

>decision
>a conclusion or resolution reached after consideration.

That just indicates that the ladybug is making a judgement, not that the ladybug is judging the narrator?

It seems to indicate to me that the narrator is simply observing the ladybug make a judgement

Yeah I'm with .

it is a pun, sort of

What's the pun?

Judgement as in making a decision and weighing a life.