Why is popsci so obsessed with black holes?

Why is popsci so obsessed with black holes?
They aren't that interesting.

Because PHYSICS!
Everything you think you know about black holes you probably learned from popsci.
Try reading Thorne's "Black Holes & Time Warps". No math, but definitely not popsci.
If that doesn't convince you understanding them is interesting and important, you can go back to watching American Idol and the Kardashians.

I'll concede a great deal of popsci on the subject IS crap. The Sun isn't going to abruptly collapse and the supermassive hole at the center of our galaxy is no threat to us.

Black holes are pretty interesting, what are you on about? Anyway, popsci is shit why bother with it, there's absolutely no way the overly simplistic explanations and analogies will allow you to make a non-shit mental picture of black holes. Read MTW instead for an interesting introduction.

MTW?

Metro Tokyo Worshipped
Good anime

>Possibility of leading to new dimensions.

>not interesting

"Metro Tokyo Worshipped" just brings up results on the subway system and the doomsday cult. Adding
"anime" doesn't help.

Charles W. Misner, Kip S. Thorne, John A. Wheeler, Gravitation. THE GR book.

then how the fuck do you solve entalpy or entrophy problems retard?
The light goes away and never comes back except if we have a black hole

they are interesting for their pure mathematical properties
who cares about them being really somewhere in space where you cant even go and fucking touch em

Such as ?

Take a look at The Princeton Companion to Mathematics, chapter IV.13 General Relativity and the Einstein Equations

OK, I own a copy.
I thought Thorne's book would be less intimidating for someone new to the subject though.

As for "Metro Tokyo Worshipped", that was equally likely given only the initials. I expect weirdness on Veeky Forums

It only seems intimidating because it's huge. It's perfectly readable in undergrad and it's well worth having as a reference.
I thought MTW was obvious, given the context.

Implying you have the brain matter to get to that black hole.

this image implies that a black hole is a lack of brain matter. It's literally so much brain matter it collapsed in on itself. This is not a brainlet picture,

black holes are the greatest mystery in the universe

because human civilization has always been decidedly interested in what goes into and comes out of black holes

This, they are literally just a lot of mass

you are literally the type of people you pretend to despise i.e. a fucking redditor

also suck on these

For the first time in the history of Veeky Forums, quints have spoken truth.