Why does nobody realize that Tom Buchanon did nothing wrong?

Why does nobody realize that Tom Buchanon did nothing wrong?

inb4 normie tier book

The book's good. And Tom Buchanon was a dick. But so was everyone else.

> Tom Buchanon was a dick
He was right about the imminent European race war, though.

that was pretty funny, I have to agree. It read like a post on /pol/. Fitzgerald was shitposting since the mid-20's.

I dont know how you Veeky Forums people have so little perspective on this issue.
It's not a new thing at all. /pol/ did not invent racism.

Tell that to CNN.

Tom was the best dickhead. Almost every line from him was gold.

Nick wasn't

Sure he did. He hit people. He snitched on the location of Gatsby's house to the guy who was hunting for him. Etc.

>Nick wasn't
He was. He didn't tell his own cousin that Tom (a man he didn't even like) was cheating on her. He dumped Jordan in a fairly callous way. And he seems to ignore (and hide from the reader) Gatsby's shady, potentially murderous identity.

What do people here think of Daisy? I've always thought her to be a bit of a ditz, but I've heard people make the argument that she's brilliant and intelligent. I never got the sense that she deserved Gatsby's devotion, that his version of her was more of a distant ideal than a flesh and blood woman and that the real Daisy could never measure up to this.

>Fitzgerald was shitposting since the mid-20's.
>implying Fitzgerald isn't trying to get us to reflect thoughtfully on Tom's opinions in order to show us the rift in American culture following the close of the frontier

>le contrarian Veeky Forums poster

Only the second one makes some sense

>Seinfeld: The Series Finale

>implying # isn't trying to get us to reflect thoughtfully on /pol/'s opinions in order to show us the rift in American culture following Donald Trump' s candidacy and subsequent presidency.

>I never got the sense that she deserved Gatsby's devotion, that his version of her was more of a distant ideal than a flesh and blood woman and that the real Daisy could never measure up to this.

Yes. Obviously. Gatsby had built her up in his mind because he was a poor hick, but he didn't really know her in any way that wasn't superficial. That's why she ended back up with Tom, because they suited each other. She's as vapid and superficial as the rest of them, and she certainly isn't intelligent. She takes Tom's dull social observations to be truths.

>Only the second one makes some sense

How don't they make sense? Nick didn't tell Daisy. And he was an unreliable narrator who admitted to having a rose tinted view of Gatsby, just like everyone else. He tells us in the novel that he's the only honest person he knows, but note the prevalence of "I thinks" and "I suppose" and "I remember" etc in the novel. Not to mention that he gets along with Jordan, who is a noted liar, after allusions to the meme "it takes on to know one". There are plenty of other suggestions that Nick purposefully tries to ignore Gatsby's shady business and raise him up sentimentally.

>She's as vapid and superficial as the rest of them, and she certainly isn't intelligent. She takes Tom's dull social observations to be truths.

It seems pretty obvious to me too, but I've heard people make the argument that she's just being sarcastic when she affirms Tom's social theories. This seems to be a case of progressive feminists projecting their own sensibilities onto the character and giving her a level self-awareness that goes beyond what I think the novel allows for. I've heard several people make roughly the same argument (grad students and professors alike), so it seems to be relatively popular.

>but I've heard people make the argument that she's just being sarcastic when she affirms Tom's social theories

I see where they're coming from, because of course she does seem to resent Tom, and there might be an element of sarcasm, though I don't think it absolves her, because either way she's just reacting to his dullness, and fails to have an actual stand or position herself.

Nobody did anything wrong in TGG. Nobody did anything. The book is a whole lot of flowery nothing and then a woman gets runover and the nothing continues. And it's not even a commentary kind of nothing, because the characters and the world are formed of and possessed of nothing, leaving only nothing to contrast the nothing. TGG is a very delicately arranged sheet of stationary with fucking nothing written on it by a man who had experienced nothing and had a whole lot of nothing to say about it, with orchids printed around the margins.

It's
Shit

Daisy definitely knew Tom was cheating on her from the beginning.

>Daisy definitely knew Tom was cheating on her from the beginning.

Yes that's true. It has been a while since I read it.

Hmm... on second thought, you make some good points there.