Chart Thread

since nobody uses the wiki, i made the poetry wiki page into a chart for easier availability.

no sense in having a thread just for one chart, so post all your charts. chart thread

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ars_Poetica_(Horace)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On_the_Sublime
en.wikisource.org/wiki/Vida's_Art_of_Poetry
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peri_Bathous,_Or_the_Art_of_Sinking_in_Poetry
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/An_Essay_on_Criticism
imgur.com/a/59Zh3
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Thanks for making this chart, but you should put the names of everyone in the bottom left corner. Personally, I recognize only Pound and Shakespeare.

theyre not there as suggestions amigo, they're there just to fill space. the idea of that section is "find poets you like reading", not "read these poets in particular"

Thanks for the chart OP.

I'll post the few I have.

Bump

>translated poetry
AHAHAHAHA

I saw awhile back that there was a grid showing examples of different ideas such as AI and nano-technology and on the Y-axis there was positive view, neutral, and negative. Does anyone have the chart I'm thinking of?

unless i overlooked some books in OP which already cover it, there should be a dedicated category for aesthetic works with relatively big historical impact like
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ars_Poetica_(Horace)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On_the_Sublime
en.wikisource.org/wiki/Vida's_Art_of_Poetry
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peri_Bathous,_Or_the_Art_of_Sinking_in_Poetry
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/An_Essay_on_Criticism

also an overview of rhetoric should be included like pic related

Fucking hell, LOTR is a Christian book, I had no idea. That's brilliant. I can't belive the spawning point of the fantasy genre is Christianity.

>mind blown

only chart worth following desu, changed my life

>gardiner's bach book
isnt that only about cantatas?
so about the least interesting bach works?
why.jpg

don't reply to me again

>butthurt that somebody caught you recommending a profound looking book, which you havent read.

I'm not in the business of educating lazy idiots

>The Shack

nice meme

go listen to your cantatas, pseud

Is that book by Bob *rips bong* Black worth reading? I figure the answer is no.

what are you on about, you monkey? read the wiki page, i have an entire section dedicated to discussing translation in poetry

it's rare that a piece of work outside of poetry dramatically influenced poetry as a whole, i'd put most of these essays under "extra", considering they're not necessary to beginning to study the history of the English tradition, which is what the wiki page/chart are there to help an user do. obviously for example were one to read The Wastleland in particular rather than the history of it and the poems around it, you'd read an essay or two of Eliot's, and even Pound's and anyone else you'd consider a major influence on his work, but I'd say that's one step above beginner level.

Where do i start in literature

I feel some fictions are missing.

The anti-work argument is stupid. At best it's semantics.

Shakespeare, Crane (?)
Donne, Whitman, Spenser
?????, Pope
Keats, Pound

Why is the Greek selection so bad?

OP are you trying to bait me?

I like the cantatas

Should Cicero's Cataline orations be on this?

shutup retard don't ever reply to me or my chart ever again

Kek

What is the theme here....

>Ginsburg
I could discern no talent while reading him

The jews really tricked you faggots bad, atleast you aren't gender dysphoric.... right?

>Ginsburg
If you're gonna say you think someone is lacking, you should probably spell their name correctly lmao

but impossible to like them more than his concertos or keyboard

Bob Black - Books about Working

I'm a shut-in in college that's recently taken an interest in poetry, and coincidentally I find this thread the first time I decide to visit Veeky Forums. I'm not much of a reader or a history buff, but I can appreciate the classics. If you had to cut down the start to be better crafted for a more novice reader that doesn't have a dedicated interest in literature, what would you say would be the key one or two books to read in each category of the image? Are any of them available for free online?

Requesting a Dostoevsky/general Russian literature chart.

Read one of the first row of books, then read The Iliad and Odyssey (Fitzgerald is a good translator) and Ovid's Metamorphoses (Mandelbaum is good), then an anthology (Bloom's is good)

Thanks. Took note of this and might take a trip to the library tomorrow.

this really sucks

How so?

Not him, but I mean, c'mon.
>3 Pynchon novels (more than Joyce, Faulkner, Woolf)
>corncob tortilla appears as many times as herman melville
>too many contemporary novels in general
>1984

>Kalidasa
>Dream of the Red Chamber
>Tu Fu
>Canto General
If some random user gets interested in one of these puppies on account of the image, it's a 10/10 chart. Sure there's too much Kafka but it's fine.

>I don't like a writer, therefore it's bad

dumping

Saved this from a thread earlier this month but I am a new fag and can't tell if it's valid or not because of the comic sans and shit formatting.

There's a lot that should be there which isn't and vice versa. Whoever made this included too much American and Japanese literature and not enough from the rest of the world. There are also too many sets of books by the same author. West, Kawabata, Rushdie and Pessoa making the cut really offends me, and at the very least Sir Gawain, The Great Gatsby, Brecht and Von Kleist should be on here. It would also be better if this thing went in chronological order from movement to movement

Why read Gallic War rather than Civil War? It's way more boring, and they have the same merit.

i'm op. this guy is actually pretty accurate. i wouldn't expect anyone to read every single book i suggest on the wikipage/chart, those are just suggestions there to guide a person in the right direction.

It's a good chart but I don't understand what it's going for or what the title means

I agree for the most part, but you take back that filth about Pessoa this instant or else you're gonna get it buddy

I AM THE MAN OF A MILLION CHARTS
imgur.com/a/59Zh3

I read LoTR when I was a teen. Can someone explain to me where the Catholic influence comes from?

From retard shitposters

Probably from Tolkien's being a Catholic. The influences of the life of an author influence the stories he writes.

>imgur.com/a/59Zh3

Based.

why is Storm of Steel under fiction?

t. Wageslave who has read not a single anti work book

Several of those are on my distant "to read" list.

take a guess cunt