What does Veeky Forums think of this man?

And if you approve of his writing, what are your most favorite novels and why?

Bump

I like him, bust most of his novels have shade of soap opera.

>most of his novels have shade of soap opera
Please, explain yourself.

For example, Great Expectations
>Wow! Pip become rich!
>Wow! Pip's money from prisoner whom he saved when was kid!
>Wow! Pip become poor!
>Wow! Prisoner is father of Estelle, Pip's love of life!
>Wow! Estelle's mother is maid in lawyer's house!
>Wow! Anotheer cliffhanger!
etc
It's fucking Brazillian tv show.

He's ok. I wish his characters had more depth.

In which case, so is any other fictional piece of literature, but, granted, you're just shitposting so my replying to your post is mere waste of time.

A Christmas Carol is one of my fav books

He's not wrong, Dickens' style is archetypically sentimental and melodramatic. Granted, he's the greatest writer of melodrama who ever lived, but it's melodrama nonetheless.

Dickens is the kind of writer who, when first getting into literature, you think is plebeian because he wrote for the commoners of his time and he is taught in high school. However, after become more learned you later realize that he is actually nuanced and patrician.

What would you suggest reading to me that is not melodramatic?

I've seen this copypaste somewhere already.

Was Dickens an antisemite?

Bump

I have nothing against Dickens. He just wrote pulpy stuff for his time. I abhor these pseuds claiming I have to read him or else I'm dumb

You ARE dumb!

You gotta be kidding me, no one is interested in Dickens on this board, it seems.

>It's fucking Brazillian tv show.
>I'm Brazillian
>We say melodramatic things are like Mexican Soap Operas here

Very comfy, worth getting past the barrier of his prose styling and verbosity
His earlier work tends to be more humorous; the funniest is Pickwick Papers. A Christmas Carol is among the top; the other Christmas stories are good too, although they drop off progressively. The best-known novels are worthwhile, along with his travel writings (American Notes, Pictures from Italy) and Nicholas Nickelby. I didn't care for Martin Chuzzlewit or Barnaby Rudge.
He goy cynical later in life, which shows in his writing. Tale of Two Cities is basically devoid of humorous characters or settings.
The perfect balance between the light and the dark, and the pinnacle of his writing, is Bleak House

Christmas carol's

earlier in his career, yeah

Maybe the best melodramatist in English prose. One of the best, anyway.

I hate you alll aaaaaaaaaa

Suck my son's dick goyz

bump

Long and boring. Of course he was paid by the word, but that doesn't excuse being boring.

If he's boring to you then you are evidently retarded. And let me remind you that he printed his novels in his own literary magazine he had founded.

Paid by the word, really? I suggest you get your facts straight before spewig out your rubbish on here. By extension, you don't have a taste for good literatre.

He's curiously ignored by lit in favor of the Russians. Dickens is superior to Dostoevsky and Tolstoy, however, kiddies.

Bleak House is great, but I think D. Copperfield had some of the strongest individual chapters of his career, and the way he combined the narrator with his own auto-biography is genius.

The Switzerland Ch. in Copperfield is the greatest chapter he ever wrote.

The reason Dickens is not read today, is that his novels are almost lethally long, and his sentimental theatrics + occasional longueurs is just too much for the cynical modern reader whom thinks a dick being cut off is the height of drama (along with the usual drugs and mindless sex)

A huge meme, anyone outside of the anglosphere who still tries to give him or Twain a try are so entrenched in ideology they can't even see their penises anymore.

He advocated tobacco as a remedy for suicide. Seems wonked to me.

I think you meant to say that people within the anglosphere are >whatever you said