Looking for some recommendations regarding Borges? What should I buy, Labyrinths or the Penguin Collected Fictions...

Looking for some recommendations regarding Borges? What should I buy, Labyrinths or the Penguin Collected Fictions? And how are the translations?

Labyrinths misses a lot of stories from Aleph

collected fictions m8 cept all the translations are by the one guy

What would you recommend?

Buy the collected fictions.

Everyman's Library Ficciones

Just read them online. You're either going to read all of Borges, or drop him quickly, so there's not much reason to buy a bunch of overlapping collections.

Buy Fictions
If you like it buy the Aleph
If you like it buy The Book of Sand
If you like it buy A universal history of iniquity
If you like it buy Brodie's report
If you still want more buy his non-fiction

Is the penguin modern classics ok?

Yeah, they're fine. Borges himself was very pro-translation. If you're really into him you can try different translations, but his main selling point isn't his prose. It's the ideas that he expresses, and they come across fine in those translations.

Cheers man I appreciate it

Bros, is it true that Borges was racist? Very disappointing.

Di Giovanni translations are the ones he worked with himself

Yes, and you would have been a much worse racist in his place you judgemental ass

Yeah, I know. I'm not particularly of fan of Di Giovanni's translations though. Maybe that still comes from the translations of Borges' poetry Di Giovanni did, which I didn't like at all. It could be that his prose translations are better.

"In Praise of Darkness". The Prose is beyond description. Heraclitus and Rubaiyat are my favorites.

I bought the penguin classics version of The Book of Sand & Shakespeare's Memory and some of the pages where smudged and hard to read. Be careful where you buy it user.

i literally learned spanish just to read borges

translation is for chuds

Ficciones

Go for the Pierre Mernard translation. It's by far the closest to the original.

Obey this guy!

Ge was an upper class argentinian, raised in Buenos Aires in the 20's, 30's. Of course he had a lot of prejudices regarded race, culture and social position. You can say the same about british, american o french people of their time.

Not particularly. You stupid fucks call everything racist.

He was what you can call "conservative" in our country. He may not believe in many things that we can call racist today, but he supported them anyway because of his determined opposition to peronism. Don't get me started talking peronism because we can be talking about this shit all night lol.

I have "The Book of Imaginary Beings" both in spanish (I`m argentinian) and in english. It's pretty well translated. If you can follow the counsel of a man who have bought only one book from Penguin in his life, then do it.

It surpasses the original in every single way.

OP, Menard or nothing. It's not even a question.