"lovecraftian" works

I finished Bloodborne a while ago and recently found myself reading the lore (mostly out of boredom) with which I was greatly interested and intrigued by.

I read on the wiki that it has a lot of lovecraftian influence. So after more wikipedia, I've become interested in the genre. But rather than start in the back with H P Lovecraft's stuff, the house on the borderland, or under the early 1900s recommendations on the Veeky Forums lit (I suppose would be under weird fiction), I want to work my way backwards.

Thing is, I have no idea where to start. so if you have any more modern lovecraftian horror stories, please share.

Bump since I'm interested too

Nick Land, Ligotti, True Detective, Houellebecq

>I've heard a lot about this person's particular influences
>I'd like to not read them, and instead purposefully ignore them and read other works similar (albeit much worse) until I finally lose interest and forget why I began reading in the first place
Go back to /v/

This guy's an asshole, but he has a point. You sound like a stereotypically lazy millennial asking to be spoonfed.

I'll recommend Mieville's Kraken, which is the most lengthy and elaborate tribute to Lovecraft in recent years, but I'll warn you that it only has the depth of a typical TV series, even though at times, it flirts with benthic levels of profundity. A shame really, considering the potential for it to have said significant things. Mieville apparently wrote it while recharging from one of his more famous writing projects.

Lovecraftian literature is middling, and while Lovecraft was a literary landmark himself, he has not inspired one worthy disciple, especially not King or Ligotti. And it's been a century.

why on earth would you want to read backwards?
go to the bookstore get a lovecraft collected fiction book and start reading it.
there's books that have ALL his fiction in a collected volume and that should keep you busy for the next year.
then we can talk about modern books influenced by lovecraft.

Backwards read to want you wouldn't why?

providence by alan moore. reading it now. had never read a graphic novel before but am from providence so i picked it up. its pretty dope

Clark Ashton Smith corresponded with Lovecraft and worked in much the same genre. He is probably your best bet. Why not read Lovecraft though? Lovecraft really had tons of work.

i'm assuming this is a shitpost but i'm just trying to imagine someone new to literature and interested in Lovecraftian horror picking up Fanged Noumena. the guy would never read again.

read The Courtyard and Neonomicon too.

word thx, do those take place in RI?

lovecraft isn't that great anyway

lovecraft is unique

you can read arthur machen and algernon blackwood to understand his influences

you can read his successors for something more akin to fantasy horror genre fiction

nah, they take place in brooklyn and salem, but they precede Providence in terms of narrative.

Eternal Darkness [NGC]
Anchorhead [PC]
Oh wait, you mean books?

Just read Lovecraft.

I went to sleep so I didn't get to respond. I looked up the dates of most of Lovecraft's works and they date to early 1900s. I read a lot of philosophy and poetry and I find that the rhetoric on a lot of the earlier works is a little difficult to read. For instance, John Searle's philosophy is really easy to read and which is what got me into philosophy in the first place but something like Spinoza's ethics would have been really hard to get into despite, now, Spinoza being my favorite philosopher.

Spinoza and Searle are very intro to phil tier.

As much as I value Spinoza's Ethics and his political philosophy, while brilliant, I'd have to rate his overall corpus a 3/5.

>I went to sleep

typical lazy milennial

Listen to what most people here say and just go straight to Lovecraft, none of his so called disciples really understood his comic horror philosophy and the worst of them straight up trivialized it into run of the mill horror.

What most people call Lovecraftian these days is more often than not just in the aesthetic department for example if it has weird aliens, cults, undescribable beasts, fake tomes of evil lore, etc. It lacks the substance and philosophy towards the cosmos, humanity and knowledge that was the driving force and unifying theme behind HPL's work.

A similar but not really Lovecraftian author is Ligotti but his point of view is more of an existential individual horror than really cosmic in span.

>start playing bloodborne
>read a couple of cthulhu stories in between
>actually see where the plot is going to
fucking nips

>comic horror philosophy
I know what you meant, but Lovecraft was actually this and the other. What an immature high school baby.

I'm sorry but I don't understand you.

Some people in the weird literature sphere have claimed Laird Barron to be HPL's succesor. I've read a few stories and wasn't really impressed but you might want to give it a try.

Barron is mildly interesting but he certainly doesn't carry the flame. He's better than Ligotti, King, and R Campbell though.