Is getting a degree in philosophy a waste of time?

is getting a degree in philosophy a waste of time?
only subject i'm passionate about besides music.

Other urls found in this thread:

ocw.mit.edu/index.htm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Posting on Veeky Forums is a waste of time.

if you want to be a professor, no. if you just want to learn philosophy, maybe - depends on what kind of learner you are.

Degrees are a waste of time. Self taught is the way to go.

Shit, did you knew the MIT has all it's courses for free on pdf?

>Shit, did you knew the MIT has all it's courses for free on pdf?
yeah but will my employer's look at me with that as my resume?

No

Sage

what do you mean? does this actually work?

>Shit, did you knew the MIT has all it's courses for free on pdf?

Where?

Philosophy is great for anything related to the humanities. Get an undergrad and then go for masters in whatever field as long as it isn't science related. We need more non marxist philosophy type thinkers out there

ocw.mit.edu/index.htm

then youze aint interested in learning, you're more interested in the degree name

You can get a degree in anything else and then become a philosopher of that particular direction. Literally.

I hear that you can go into law with a bachelor's in philosophy.

sure. get a high gpa and do some business classes and you can be a consultant or project manager. i assume that's what you're worried about

Yes

>only subject i'm passionate about
Then no, it is not a waste of time. You've answered your own question.

Name either 5 great self-taught philosophers or 5 great self-taught composers (assuming that that user wanted to take an academic route in music too).

pro-tip: you can't, none of them were stupid enough to value a self-taugh path over an academic one (but you probably still don't get the reason behind such a choice: you're either not intelligent enough to understand it, or simply you have never experienced a academic context).

Define passionate. In most cases it's a waste of time. If you can read all day long philosophy for weeks, then you're good to go: this is what passionate means. If you just like philosophy and read it somewhat consistently, but not full-time, then don't even bother.

Thales. Me. Damn 5 is a big number.

To some extent, however, even within philosophy, all the prevalent bloggers are phds, and to be taken seriously in any forum or dialogue, one expects you to have sufficient knowledge of not only philosophical antiquity, but also all the contemporary theories being passed around, which requires a level of institutional verification that self-teaching does not supply.

damn, this gave me an authentic nerd moment

There are simply too few informations about Thales to make such a statement. Regardless, we already know that his family was extremely which, so it is fair to assume that he got the best education available by private mentors in his youth and teenagehood at the very least.

Self-education is a meme if you want to be anything more than an amateur shitposter on Veeky Forums. In every other case, the academic route is the most efficient and complete one.
If you're a burger and you can't afford it, move to central and northern Europe for a few years, it is easier than you might expect, and it will save you hundreds of thousands of dollars.

>Define passionate. In most cases it's a waste of time. If you can read all day long philosophy for weeks, then you're good to go: this is what passionate means. If you just like philosophy and read it somewhat consistently, but not full-time, then don't even bother.
damn good advice m8.

>his family was extremely which
>typing with a speech impediment

>he got BTFO'd so hard that he has to resort to random typos in order to defend himself

Just give up.

You fuck, I'm not him.

Not if you can afford law school

>law degree

As financially useless as a philosophy degree if you're parents are not already well connected.

>Degrees are a waste of time. Self taught is the way to go.

Not if you're doing a degree that leads to a professional job.

>tfw guaranteed to earn a good wage after graduating
>feels good man

depends entirely on you.

I entered university as a Political Science major but quickly grew disillusioned by the quantitative nature of the study. After taking courses in the humanities and loving them, I changed my major to History and surprised myself with how enthusiastic I became about my studies. Just graduated, no plans yet, not worried at all. It was the most rewarding experience of my life, but of course, I was lucky to attend a university with great faculty.

>amateur shitposter
Wew

just study computer science and learn philosophy on the side desu

shut up kemp

That's not even close to true. Biglaw starts at $180k plus bonus

Given the option to learn a bunch of shit and getting payed for my efforts and learning to same shit and working at McDonalds when I'm done I'm gonna go with option A.

I do enjoy learning for the sake of knowledge but why say no to the job opportunities that having a degree provides?

I think he's trying to peddle the self-education meme

nobody is going to hire you over a philosophy degree

>doesn't understand networking
>doesn't understand alumni network
You're a fucking idiot

>Name either 5 great self-taught philosophers or 5 great self-taught composers
List 666 times where someone didn't immediately move the goalposts when a stupid & facetious request like this was fulfilled. Weak argument, asshole

>MIT PDF's
>alumni network
Kek

You've misunderstood what a degree entails. While yes, most go in for lectures and grind out degrees like a factory, if you want to make waves in any sort of field you need to do seminiars, lectures, labs etc. Applied knowledge trumps reading a .pdf any day.

>I get to work 40+ hours a week earning money for Mr Goldstein!
>lucky me!