'Jesus wept.'

Name a more beautiful/thought-provoking sentence in the history of literature/philosophy that is as full of brevity as this one.

Other urls found in this thread:

ang.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hēafodtramet
newadvent.org/cathen/15047a.htm
stephenliddell.co.uk/2013/08/28/102-great-words-that-arent-in-english-but-should-be/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

For sale: cum-covered baby shoes

moist

>Jesus began to weep.
The NRSV is starting to really get on my nerves desu.

want to buy: used baby shoes

CRASH!

fairly misused

Cocks in the childs anus covered in shit!

HOWEL! - Ginsburg

Wrong number, said a familiar voice

Jesus swept.

>Jesus wailetheth.
The KJV is too archaic for me, I can't read old English.

>Jesús started bawling
On the other hand, these modern versions might be a bit grating.

>Jesus be cry.
DFW was a HACK

I DON'T GET IT. WHY IS THIS SO PROFOUND?

Why is he crying?

because he's brown

Jesus is God. He is also a man. He is crying. What would make this particular being cry? What could god possibly see to make him cry?

oh, this thread is back
'great'

"user wept about a thread he could have ignored."

>Jesus is God
[citation needed]

>I am God.
>t. Jesus

Stupid troll Catholic thread again. Also that pic is not Jesus, but John

Does Jesus actually say he is God in one of the Four Gospels? He only refers to himself as the Son as being distinct from the Father, and even explicitly states that the Father is superior to him.

Et in unum Dóminum Iesum Christum,
Fílium Dei Unigénitum,
Et ex Patre natum ante ómnia sǽcula.
Deum de Deo, lumen de lúmine, Deum verum de Deo vero,
Génitum, non factum, consubstantiálem Patri:
Per quem ómnia facta sunt.
Qui propter nos hómines et propter nostram salútem
Descéndit de cælis.
Et incarnátus est de Spíritu Sancto
Ex María Vírgine, et homo factus est.

man is born free but everywhere he is in chains

-Rousseau

This

also

I think, therefore I am
~Descartes

The King James version of the Bible was not written in Old English. If you want to see what old English looks like, check out ang.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hēafodtramet

The King James Bible, just like Shakespeare, was written in Early MODERN English.

And don't you dare try to tell me otherwise, you stupid apes.

Whippersnapper's sandals

>"Call me Ishmael"

im fucking dying over here thanks user

Are we just fleshy blips in a meaningless stew of cosmic oblivion? Or is it vice-reversa.

>what is John

the line from OP is in John too, before you even start to argue

If things were meaningless, this wouldn't be a question. If things are meaningless, being wrong is irrelevant as there is nothing relevant in the world.

The nihilistic notions of reality are only in existence because some people reduced their understanding of the world in false hopes.

Just because it's not Old English doesn't mean it's not old English.

>[citation needed]
newadvent.org/cathen/15047a.htm

Old English is just a meme made up by anglos so that they could claim certain works were written in "English" because they were jealous of the French for actually having works written in Old French which actually is an old version of French. "Old English" on the other hand, is NOT an old version of English, it has NOTHING to do with English.

Only the sleaziest fucking anglo faggots would try to make up a linguistic category just to claim works.

What has meaning got to do with relevance? Whether something makes sense doesn't imply that it's applicable to any given circumstance.

>"Old English" on the other hand, is NOT an old version of English, it has NOTHING to do with English.

well you're retarded for sure

>Hƿæt! ƿē Gār-Dena in ġeār-dagum,
>þēod-cyninga, þrym ġefrūnon,
>hū ðā æþelingas ellen fremedon.
>Oft Scyld Scēfing sceaþena þrēatum,
>monegum mǣġþum, meodosetla oftēah,
> egsode eorlas.
Yes, yes, good goy... this is English ... we anglos have written Beowulf, yes ...

Why should things make sense? The notion that they should, is it background noise from your evolutionary path (aka, bullshit that keeps your monkey machine operating) or is it something real?

op is a fag

babby shoes

Never said it should. Meaning is a concept made by humans, reality is much bigger than humans. We'd think it absurd for reality to confirm to the cognitive framework of a snail.

Fuck off with your Cartesian Cuntnuggetry

uhm, surely if 'Jesus wept' is of such significance, its cultural consequence and present reality 'Jesus rekt' is just as significant.

>Meaning is a concept made by humans, reality is much bigger than humans.
Now that's some bullshit you've told yourself. Everything you've ever encountered is internal.

The only good bug is a dead bug

lacrimae rerum

Muhammad wept

>John 8:56-58

I KNOW YOU'RE TIRED

BANE?

I once picked up a pencil and put it back down and the futile nature of the action sent me into a spiraling Abyss of depression and existentialism.

Memento mori

So you're a solipsist? Fuck, then quit insulting yourself you fucking faggot shithead.

Et in Arcadia ego.

>full of brevity
Frankly disgusting turn of phrase there, OP.

"You suffer."

- Napalm Death

i am an abocado ;^)

i have no dick but i must pee
:^)
.t a librarian

god bless

I.

wow what a pussy

pls /mu/

Damn I really like this one a lot.

Frodo Lives

you faggot it's jesus

Lazarus if i recall correctly

It encapsulates the "human-ness" of Jesus. This passage is famous because of all of the passages that convey this (or any) message, this is the shortest. In essence it is attempting to catalyze a revelation of the highest order, and it does it in 2 words.

It's only beautiful because it's surrounded by 400,000 pages of lies

For sale: worn baby, no shoes

"In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phoney God's blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence."

Eh?

wow this is really good who said this btw

An account on Reddit. His username was aalewis, but he deleted the post and his account after people insulted him. He posted it on that Atheism board.

Richard Dawkins

>iacta alea est
>fallor ergo sum
>ochi
>aika

It's not solipsism per se, it's merely the notion that nothing is in your understanding or perception unless you've encountered it, and it has to go through internal filters.

Reality doesn't exist, it's an ideological construct.

>born free

>X doesn't exist
>X is...
Kek.

But SOMETHING exists OUT THERE, right user?

stephenliddell.co.uk/2013/08/28/102-great-words-that-arent-in-english-but-should-be/

I kind of agree although the sentimentality is off the charts