What does Veeky Forums think of Herzog and Saul Bellow

What does Veeky Forums think of Herzog and Saul Bellow

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Z-YjSRsOSu0
youtube.com/watch?v=P3KgEqQWCZM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

We don't read him he my man. Check out reddit.

Loved it. Humboldt's Gift was great too. Augie March took me 3 or 4 times of restarting cause its really fucking boring at first, but ultimately became an american classic. Don't know why he not discussed much here. The odd thread about him usually dies out before 10 replies and those usually point out that he's a kike or something.

>saul bellow

Easily one of the better authors who are never mentioned on Veeky Forums. He's generally gone out of fashion a bit.....and obviously he's Jewish which infuriates some chantards.

Augie march is by far his best book, although herzog is pretty good and underrated

Saul bellow is one of those authors who unremittingly produce sentence after sentence that is so barnstormingly good that it makes you want to give up writing. you will simply never be that good and cannot fathom what it would take to become a writer of his calibre.

here's christopher hitchens talking about him youtube.com/watch?v=Z-YjSRsOSu0

I've only read Herzog, which struck me as a more maudlin and less funny Philip Roth story.

>and obviously he's Jewish which infuriates some chantards
just fucking leave you inbred retard, this isn't /pol/.

Herzog is a comedy in the Classical sense. In the novel Herzog begins in a state of abysmal despair and then progresses into content acceptance of his own circumstances, abilities, and flaws.

>Saul bellow is one of those authors who unremittingly produce sentence after sentence that is so barnstormingly good that it makes you want to give up writing.
I wish this were true.

>being this new

rofl

fail

Lmaonaise

Excellent book and all the hapless doormats on Veeky Forums would find it instructive

Seriously, what is this shit?
Lately in every thread I go to, there are newfriends just spamming "YOU A NEWFAG", "YOU NEW" at each other.

In every single fucking thread.
Is this some new divide&shill tactic concocted in reddit or something?

newshitters think they're safe if they call others new when they get called out.
it's a mechanism as old as time

>Ramona
Bloom is right to call Bellow's women third-rate pipe dreams: she has no reality at all. However, the point is sort of that Herzog idealizes and objectifies women, though lovingly.

>the letters
Beautiful—witty and dense, crackling with ideas, I return to some of them often.

>Gersbach drama
Thrilling, full of pathos and psychological insight

Great book overall, a favorite

>Herzog
Fully realized. Your sense of his consciousness rivals even what you get with the high modernists. And perversely he is an everyman.

cancer

GOAT
O
A
T

Better than DFW, that's for sure

This smart guy (Herzog) goes through some bad shit (cuckholdry, intellectual crisis) and comes out on the other side. A role model, you might say

Read it a few years ago... was decent but didn't leave a significant impression on me. I remember it explored the neurotic Jewish man midlife crisis cuckold shtick. I like the part when he was prepared to blast everyone at his house. Made me want to buy a place in upstate New England too.

Mr. Sammler's Planet is the true patrician choice

>old Jew reckons with the holocaust
vs.
>middle-aged jew goes insane and nearly figures out everything
wrong

Same thing with Philip Roth.

I bought this book on impulse just because I thought Herzog reminded me of something. When I came home I remembered about Werner Herzog and totally forgot this book.
Should I read it?

youtube.com/watch?v=P3KgEqQWCZM

I enjoyed his essays a lot and loved Ravelstein. Hated Augie March though. He was the most passive character I've ever read.

Haven't read herzog. I loved Homboldt's gift and seize the day though. Any other books that are must reads from him?

Yes -- read. It's not bad and sorta in the Stoner vein.

Augie March is Canadian...?

what?! he was from chicago

It's not really like Stoner at all. Stoner documents a mediocre life with a fittingly limpid, detached style. Herzog is a remarkable individual, a near-genius and an anomaly, who is driven to the brink of insanity. The book is an examination of his consciousness.

Yeah you're right (first line is literally "I am an American, Chicago born.."

It's more like a Jewish version of the movie Fallen Down.

Gersbach did nothing wrong.