Is this true?

Is this true?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Hp1D5bWzIwo
youtu.be/wvwlt4FqmS0
twitter.com/AnonBabble

cant be sure

Depends on quality.

Is Bloodborne scarier than At the Mountain of Madness and It?

Fuck off retard

Bloodborne isn't a horror game

Neither a book nor a game has ever scared me like films can, even though I like books best

A film is an iceberg. A book is an iceberg. A game is an iceberg. A game is both a film and a book. A game is two icebergs.
Great image.

Fuck, disregard the file name, it isn't relevant.

>Bloodborne isn't a horror game

Except the creators never shut up about how their main inspiration is HP Lovecraft, one of the most, if not the most, famous horror authors in pop culture

for horror, yes, because you are directly interacting with the story

shock value decreases over time with each passing generation for cinema and literature requires an imagination

truth

I'd say it's more like "A Game" would be "A Film" with a bunch of monotonous filler inserted until it was the size of "A Book"

Kind of true. Video games are the current highest form of art. They combine: literature (storyline), film (cutscenes), art (the visuals of the game), architecture (structure of levels) and music all into one package while also providing interactivity and changeableness.

>video games are currently the highest art form
retarded bait homie try harder

Its horror-themed action, yes.

not an argument

It's true. They haven't achieved much of note as of yet, but literature is a subset of what's possible with video games. The best literature could be given as text in a video game.

>changeableness
topkek

You're not playing very good horror games then.

Assuming it's properly crafted, there's no reason a game shouldn't be scarier than a film, simply because of the fact you yourself are present and an active participant; rather than a viewer of events happening to someone else, you are simulated to have events happening to *you*.

>compares structure of levels with architecture

architects draw their buildings, so using a game as a 3d engine to visualize this image is relative to architecture however it is the architects job to know what materials are going to work in terms of structural stability with that image

such as my diary

>Combining art forms is good and not limiting

Newfag

Is the best literature just dialogue?

What game explores the human condition or attempts to be anything other than a set of entertaining tasks?

>Muh human condition

Newfag

The human condition is a set of unentertaining tasks.

All three of these mediums have the potential to reach true forms of beautiful, whole, and life changing art.

Videogames has never accomplished this is a real manner. Gamer's low standards have really held it back, but also there is a real dichotomy between different genres of videogames. You are either "art" or "entertainment" in the videogame medium. Nobody has come close to accomplishing true mastery of all elements of aesthetical craft in a single videogame. Videogames are either "story" games, or "art" games, or "gameplay" games. I think a true masterpiece in this medium is something that ties both gameplay, story, art, music, and everything else into a cohesive aesthetical theme, and does it well. The problem with this is it's extremely difficult, expensive, and time consuming.

Movies accomplish this occasionally but when it does it's pure heaven, purely moving. It can accomplish things through the visual medium that literature will never achieve.

Literature has accomplished this the most because it's existed the longest and it's cheap to put words on a paper.

the witness

What is "truth"?

>a film is the visible tip of the iceberg
>a book is the submerged mass of the iceberg
>a game is the iceberg

Is it madness?

>a book is written to tell a story
>a film is made to make money
>a game is made by people who want to tell a story in order to make money

You can't consider something as art if the main reason it was created was to make profits, because if that's the case it's always designed with mass appeal and can't be the genuine creation of an artist

Seeing as how most video games are made exclusively for a profit, you can't consider them as art. However there are exceptions.

t. 4k+ total gaming hours on steam

It is ideally true, in a world where a real genius of the caliber of Shakespeare can just sit down and make a game, without having to care for money and without having to take any compromise.

Since this won't probably happen in our lifetime, it is fair to disregard videogame as high art, while still giving it dignity for the entertainment that can still provide.

Holy.....i want more.....

I don't think the witness counts. It might have a deep meaning but it's hidden behind a lot of filler gameplay. From what I've read/watched on it, I guess the meaning is that the search for meaning is basically pointless? Seems like another one of these games that points you towards something to do and then at the end of the experience it says "Oh haha, that thing was actually worthless the whole time," sort of like undertale or spec ops: the line. I've always found this to be a pretty weak way to convey meaning, although gamers seem to love it.

Okami takes a good crack at satisfying your criteria I guess?

That's because it's the only (and most obvious) way to critique gaming. Ironically the smartest thing one can say about a video game, is that it was pointless.

>The best literature could be given as text in a video game
You could print out source code for the game and put it into the book. Checkmate.

Can you call Dwarf Fortress art?

It's a video game, so no

But why cant a video game be art?

I never said that

>It's a video game, so no
hmm

From the makers of the lighthearted fantasy 'Game of Thrones' comes a new, darker series: WELCOME TO FUCKING BOATMURDERED

You seem to have trouble differentiating reality from fiction. Jokes are largely based in hyperbole

I'm having a hard time trying to understand the meaning behind your words.
Yes I am autistic.

Cut the line in the Game in half, and it is correct.

You've been reading the wrong books.

He's joking. I understand you not understanding, it's a pretty failed joke.

>failed joke
>STREET FIGHTER 2 ULTIMATE EDITION IS DA BEST FIGHTING SIM EVER MADE
>VIDEO GAMES ARE MORE REAL THAN REAL LIFE
Video games are a fucking joke and only manchildren take them seriously, which is exactly why they are not art.
>B-but muh E-sports
>B-but muh profit margins
LO-fucking-L

if something involved a bare minimum of art form doesnt make itself '' highest form of art''. There are barely any games with high quallity writing, filmography. The best games usually lack any set artistic value and shine on technical value with its engine, gameplay mechanics and the general things what makes games stand out. interactive movies like the last of us or uncharted crumble in comparion compared to dwarf fortress.

The only "art" video game is Metal Gear Solid 3, you tremendous faggot
youtube.com/watch?v=Hp1D5bWzIwo

Barely.

Also good vid on what makes ''good'' games unique wich is freedom.
youtu.be/wvwlt4FqmS0

Cringe. Even adressing this is pathetic.

It's an action game with horror themes you knob.

>You are either "art" or "entertainment" in the videogame medium.

What are competitive games? Newfag

> Nobody has come close to accomplishing true mastery of all elements of aesthetical craft in a single videogame

"Craft", fucking newfag

Ironic

>You can't consider something as art if the main reason it was created was to make profits

That's just the nature of production these days. In the Renaissance making art was as much a business as making video games today. Newfag

>genuine creation of an artist

Hahahah newfag there is no such thing as genuine creation

What the fuck is with these newfag formalists. Hurr de-durr I'm new to art and I like medium specificity for no reason

>Can only act in accordance with what developers intended
>Freedom

Hurr I press the buttons and get the prize

>making art was as much a business as making video games
>there is no such thing as genuine creation

>newfag
>newfag
it's time to stop posting

Oh please. Go ahead and start your underage rant about how Undertale changed the possibilities of indie gaming.

What do you find scarier about a film than a game?

I remember the first time I heard about this meme, maybe 15 years ago. I laughed in the kid's face and assumed he was an outlier. Yet here we are.

@9513747
the fact you made a post like that in response to someone denying video games being art means you don't deserve a (You)

The fact that I can't stream it without getting arrested.

I guess you were wrong.

I assumed games were something people "grew out of." After dropping games they'd adopt more patrician interests and wouldn't push this meme, so my thought process went. I was wrong.

see, 15+ years ago, when you were laughing about the idea of adults playing games, a room full of corporate execs was watching footage of grown men voluntarily dressing up in costumes to see phantom menace. when the footage was over there was a long silence before somebody finally asked "how do we turn the entire world into this?"

It's true, google it newfag. Compagno was a business partnership newfag, they have tax records. Google workshop system newfag, google what a modello is newfag, it was presented to patrons (the people paying money for the art creation) for approval. Google literally any rudimentary art history newfag before commenting on art ever again

Lmao so true

Theoretically yes. But as it stands we are never likely to see full realization of the potential of videogames. Especially when considering how expensive it is to create modern high production value video games and looking at the direction triple-A games have taken over the years.

"Get me Zack Snyder on the phone".

>Anime / Senran Kagura

No. Tell me about the plot in soccer.

This thread reeks of underage /v/ posters

Wheres anime on that picture?

It's in there. It's just so insignificant you can't see it with the naked eye. It's like wanting to discuss Barney & Friends on the board of the Hugo Awards. People would just look at you weirdly as you masturbate to an 8yo girl astronaut demoness.

Really funny. Even if a video game served a higher purpose it wouldn't address it as well as a film or for sure a book.

Video games are shallow commercial products that exist to ingratiate children. Only recently has the medium evolved so to speak, but its foundational principles exist in service of "fun".and novelty. The pretension of anything more than that is when the medium is made ineffectual, IE walking simulators, long cutscenes, data entries etc.

I am not anti-videogames, some I think have literary value even. But they are extremely limited in the types of stories they can tell and even contradict themselves.

>tfw you will never again be fifteen and overvalue the worth of video games

thank god

>Video games are shallow commercial products that exist to ingratiate children. Only recently has the medium evolved so to speak, but its foundational principles exist in service of "fun".and novelty. The pretension of anything more than that is when the medium is made ineffectual, IE walking simulators, long cutscenes, data entries etc.

This. I like games but very few are challenging on an intellectual level; even less are challenging in an intellectual way that's stimulating by having great art and design too (i.e. not RPGMaker games).

I was playing Nier: Automata recently and really struggled to get past the fact 99% of it is pure extreme action designed for no other purpose than to titillate the player. I expect to take something more from the game but ended up giving up on it because the gameplay is purely infantile button-mashing.

I actually admire the simplicity of those who don't even comprehend that fact and might instead be able to ignore it when critiquing its plot/story/world-building. I certainly couldn't.

where's the element in which video game as an art is considered its own form?

>i have no argument

true but the Renaissance days are over and human beings have gone far beyond that, back then they didn't have a true definition of 'Art', even the term 'aesthetics' didn't exist yet.
Art is no business no more user

There are two arguments in the post newfag.

And now we have a definition of art that includes video games. Art excluding the commercial is not a true definition of art because it would contradict nearly all artistic practice. And yes art now is a business. Artists sell works to buyers.

most of the times. there are many shallow books and some deep films though.

not an argument newfag

>i have never 'argued' with anyone outside /v/

pathetic

Good contribution newfag.

not an argument newfag

I've said more about the topic at hand in this thread than you newfag,

i'm contributing shit to this shitty thread just as much as you do

>I've said more about the topic at hand in this (shitty) thread than you newfag

Good contribution newfag.

All that you have "said" was jejune fellating parochialism concerning your booboo games.

>thinking I was the person you replied to
newfag

just fucking read a book man