>what are you currently reading
>what do you say when normies ask what it's about

I do NOT talk to normies.

Moby Dick
>Bunch of Bros try to kill a big fuckin giant jizz whale

The Wasteland
> He do the police in different voices bro and all sorts of shit Bout the war

Pragmatism
>Nothing you believe means dick unless it's useful in some concrete way, dickhead.

i stopped reading in public so i wouldn't have to try to explain shit anymore, or if i'm really bored and there's no internet i'll read a programming book

>my twisted world
I say its the manifesto of a killer

>the plague
>a plague

woah..

William Carlos Williams poems, leviathan, and king Lear. Most people ask about my school work rather than my recreational stuff, and that's infinitely more hard to explain.

>City of God

>Oh, you know, why christianity was actually good for the Romans, some philosophy, some theologizing.

All of your human interaction takes place on Veeky Forums. That isn't something to celebrate.

Do people in public actually ask what you're reading?

It's only happened to me once, and I was in the fifth grade at a time.

The brief wondrous life of Oscar Wao. If I had anyone to talk about it, I would likely say that I don't like it very much because it's a loose bunch of vignettes that replace originality with pop culture references and although I get the appeal for some people, it must have won the Pulitzer for political reasons a lot more than artistic merit. It's important to note that I'm reading a translation and the book does seem better in English, but for (((reasons))) I prefer to read strictly in my own language at the moment.

Christianity was good for the Romans as a ploy to get free labor (i.e., charity). Wasn't good enough, though. Wasn't worth the cost of Europe's myriad spiritual traditions, Constantine!!!

>Moby Dick
>A fucking mad man after a stupid fat fish

>mason & dixon
>two guys doing things

>War and Peace
I did have someone ask me about it today, somehow never having heard of such a famous title before, and I just replied it was about Napoleon's invasion of Russia. It was that easy, though I sincerely believe me underrating the book's description made me look less lame than if I had gone in depth about it

I know I've asked someone else what they were reading once, believing it to be Thomas Hardy. That was the wrong decision.

>A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man
>The Irish

>Yukio Mishimas Sun and Steel
>A japanese man after world war two wants to be a hero, gets fit to accomplish this goal.

>Cannonball
>Uh it's a book about a swim club, the iraq war, and some lost scrolls about Jesus

And then I got asked why I'm reading it if I didn't seem sure what it was about and I just said I liked another book by I'd read by the same author.

Ultima Thule - The Rediscovered Sun of the Hyperboreans by Jean Mabire. I don't think there's an English translation. Normies don't ask, but if they did:
>We Wuz Aryans

haha this camus edit

great god

IF I have had my morning coffee, I MIGHT be able to present the book the I'm currently reading.
If I must explain it to them I'm gonna have to be on my second cup.

>Knausgard's struggle

>my diary desu

>brothers karamazov
>murder mystery revolving around some brothers and their murdered father

Ulysses.
As much as I like monologues and usage of latin and biblical quotes interspersed throughout, it so far seems unfair to call it a novel. It's more like a series or reflections with a thin story as the vehicle.

I needed a short break from that so I started reading The Idiot by based Dostoevsky.

Oh, and I forgot to mention, I don't talk to normies about the books I read because they don't read, so the subject never comes up.

did you even read the OP or are you this socially incompetent?

Did you read the following post? Chill out, buddy. It's not that serious.

>what is a timestamp

social incompetence it is

>if its a bro dood or I'm playing up for comedy
Oh just trashy sci fi about robots and space marines and what it means to means to fight for humanity as a genetically altered species that is no longer human. you know, stuff like "what right do we have to frag the bugs when we are more like them in the end?" kinda stuff. You learn a bit about the ethics of war and as a bonus, laser guns and space battles.

>cool girl or guy who actually knows something
Ehhhh you know I'm trying to read all the classic scifi stuff that built up so much of we all take advantage off for movies nowadays you know? I mean if I'm going to just read genre fiction, I might as well read the best there is and try to justify it with literary importance.

>actually holding a book
the tittle and a one sentence discretion and two word option about it. If they are interested, then I talk like a normal person. People don't really want a book report, but tend to ask just to be polite or actually think your being distracting with your public book learning and they are just board.

>The Idiot
>I tell them it's about them.

user, I'm glad to say that, not only you are a tremendous pleb, you are a normie yourself.

>Lolita
>I am NOT a pedophile

>Horus Heresy Novels

Last time at the pub it was; "It's ~30k years in the future, there's lot's of war, big strong men in futuristic armor and a fuck ton of brutal violence." Or, something to that extent.

If I qt asks me I say "Nothing interesting" and put it away to maintain my suave and debonair demeanor.

Camus' The Rebel
The ultimate redpill about any revolutionary moviment.

Barren cove
A roboter looking for his answer as why he should stay alive

>Berlin Blues (Herr Lehmann)
>about a young man in Berlin who drinks a lot and doesn't know how to handle life properly

been reading mostly philosophy. when people ask me, i say the last non-philosophy book ive read, which was a patrick leigh fermor travel thing and then i ask them if they have any trips planned and weve moved on

The Man without Qualities
I wouldn't know what to tell them

Illiad/Bible
Say it's the backbone of western civilization and they say I am weird

It Can't Happen Here by Sinclair Lewis
>I say it's a hypothetical story about fascism in America in the 1930s

>Gravity's Rainbow
>I'm rereading it and trying to find out so ask later

Mishima- Forbidden Colours

>Ahahaha, some fuckin misogynist scumbag what a tosser

>JR
>It's a satire on capitalism that is like 80% dialogue. Think of a really hard play

>Lord of the Flies.

>Have you seen that episode of the simpsons?

>infinite jest
We refer to it as infinite tennis

>Karate-Do. Ginchin Funakoshi's Autobiography
>It's about the origins of modern day Shotokan Karate.

Kekd

>Democracy in America
It's about Democracy in America and what a Democratic society will look like. It was written a while ago.

>Huckleberry Finn
A hick child floats down a river with an escaped slave

>Ride the Tiger
Fuck if I know

Is it because there isn't much tennis involved?

>Against the Day

>it's uh..uhm..steampunk I guess

>hypothetical

Dune
Normies don't ask me what I read.

>Myth of Sisyphus
Glorified self-help book. You should read it.

>Introduction to Medical Imaging
Already reading it will give you brain cancer.

>The Demons
Even during the best times Russia had it was pretty shit desu.

>Dune
you're one

man, I read Dune expecting something incredible and it did not deliver.

Fear and Trembling
Fear and Trembling

The only two times I've ever lied about what I'm reading is My Twisted World and Mein Kampf

The Night Manager by John Le Carré

It's about spies and shit.

>The Book of Disquiet
It's just this bloke talking about how good or how bad the sky is, the times he loves and hates his boring job, and how he loves being like, a bit special. He says he's the same sweepings as the rest of us, like, we're all going in the same bin, but he's just slightly *glitzier* in quite a pointless sense, like he's the paper band around a cigar compared to our dust, because he has literature in his life.

>Kokoro
It was written in 1914 and it's about this student that befriends this old man, and the old man has kind of a dark cloud over him. You find out what's up with him at the end...
At the same time the main character, who's unnamed, his dad's dying.

It's dead easy to read on the bus or something because the chapters are about two, three pages.

I also mention it's set in Japan, like

Plato's Republic
>nigga laying down the foundation of government and shit

>Blood Meridian
Spitting and pretty descriptions of nature

it's undoubtedly the most annoying thing to ever happen to me. I hate when people come and ask what I'm reading I don't even want to read anymore i just want to kill them, and this happens everytime I CAN'T STAND THEM ANYMORE

>What We Talk About When We Talk About Love

>It's about love.

>120 days of sodom
>I couldn't pretend it was a romance novel because my mother read it too

wow. you must be so unique an interesting.

>The Will to Power

>Liberty/Equality/Diversity/Egalitarianism/Utilitarianism/Romanticism/Scientism/Idealism and pretty much any non-Machiavellian ideologies (which you almost certainly subscribe to) get eternally BTFO

Pic related is mfw someone interrupts my reading to ask what I'm reading.

petersburg by Andrei Bely

no normie will ask me what i'm reading before i've finished it so this part is irrelevant. i have a longterm bad illness and do nothing but read 10-14 hours per day, my social life is twitter and Veeky Forums. all of my old friends live in another cities and my indisposition prevents me from going out much

if someone in my family asked, i would say the revolution of 1905

100% autism

uhm, excuse me, but who the fuck do you think you, are telling me what I can and can't celebrate?

oh great another postmodernist. what a useful addition to society. god you wouldn't even be useful in a communist society.

>Gravity's Rainbow
>uhm... there's a scat scene

>communist society.
that implies a communist society could even function in the first place

sparta was a communistic society

The Fall of Hyperion
>It's unique

Michael Shea's The Autopsy and Other Tales. No one ever asks me what I'm reading.

>the origins of totalitarianism
>it's about WWII and stuff my man
Anyone got anything better?

Huey Long did nothing wrong

>this guy fucks women and then they explode

might get some ppl to read it and then laugh when they have no idea whats going on

Alunaes

The Bible
>it is time to retake the holy land, DEUS VULT

>tender is the night
>it's about some guy named Dick diver
>dick diver

At least his name isn't mutt diver desu

Martian Chronicles
>Colonization: Electric boogaloo

>Waiting for Nothing

>It is warm in here. It is cold outside.

>Nostromo
>I think it's about a guy called Nostromo

Rwala Bedouin Today by William Lancaster. I tell them it's an ethnography about nomadic Arabs.

>normies
I give them a brief summary of whatever I'm reading because I'm not a pretentious twat.

That girl churns my butter tho

I dunno, I'm at the beginning but so far I see some fascinating parallels to middle eastern conflict, the rise and fall of feminism, and an almost Metropolis style push for being of two worlds as key to advancement of society.
It's also just a joy compared to books I've had to slog through like GoT.

The Iliad

Nobody's asked because I don't read in public, but if they did it'd either be "The Trojan War" if they have an excuse to not know what The Iliad is, or I'd stare at them like they were retarded if they didn't.

Somebody once asked me what Infinite Jest was about when I was reading it at the park. I was about 300 pages in and couldn't think of what to tell them so I just said "tennis".

Great Expectations
>This guy named Pip moves to da city in a broke down car.

The Book of Numbers
>This weird book of the Bible that is very repetitive.

>Gravitys rainbow
>it's supposed to be one of the best modern books, but it's pretty hard to read actually. I think I like it though, but I'm not sure what it's about yet.

If fiction, just say It's about
>insert basic plot here with no themes because plebs can't understand in one sentence

If nonfiction book, just say it's about
>insert name of field here

If philosophical work, just say it's about the work of
>insert the name of the philosopher and a brief description of said philosopher without going into the philosophy whatsoever

Finnegans Wake

>the farced epistol to the highbruws

Is it about a rainbow? sounds fun desu:)

Lila

Mid-West Protestants Families Suffering in excellent prose

>Everything
>Nothing

>it's about this guy who addle liddle phifie Annie ugged the little craythur

Valid criticism. The constant use of comic book/anime/manga references to get a point across could have been a clever disertation, so instead of saying "yadda yadda like in neotokyo" he should`ve used his talents, so to speak. If thats what you are saying...

I read the book in english, far more enjoyable that way imo.