Rum

Last rum thread was tragically short-lived, and I like to talk about rum. My personal favorite is Gosling's Bermuda Black, but they didn't have it where I went, so I'm going to try pic related for the first time. Did I fuck up?

Other urls found in this thread:

caskers.com/rhum-clement-vsop-vieux-agricole/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

You went from a great rum to shit in a fancypants bottle that is beloved by milennials thanks to strong advertising to that market segment.

Yeah, you fucked up.

>spiced rum
unironically kill yourself

Damn, I was afraid that I may have fucked up. Guess I got memed. Fuck that store for not having Gosling's though.

Just tried the first shot of it. I'm going to be an optimist and just say "at least it's not Capt. Morgans".

Speaking of which, I've never tried the black variety of that. Is that on par with this shit? Better? Worse?

To be fair, that is a pretty cool looking bottle.

No, that's good stuff. Ignore the haters of anything popular.

But it isn't good. It's not bad either. It's just that you can get much better rum. Their marketing team should get a raise though.

Just look at this thread. Nothing about hating why it's bad just allusions to it being popular so it must be normies falling for marketing. It's the same pretentious shit as always, hipsters saying X is better because it's obscure to them.

>Nothing about hating why it's bad

It seems pretty clear to me. First guy said it tasted like shit but had a fancy bottle. 2nd guy said it sucked because it was spiced rum. Guy who bought it didn't exactly give a glowing review of its taste. Where is the ambiguity?

It truly is, hella fun to hold

Taking the second shot from it, it really isn't bad. I'm just used to Gosling's so maybe my standards are out-of-whack

Probably, the name is brilliant

> First guy said it tasted like shit but had a fancy bottle.
No he said it was shit in a fancy bottle, nothing about taste, just generic hate and bitching about popularity.
> 2nd guy said it sucked because it was spiced rum.
Oh, I thought were were ignoring that contrarian hipster.
>Guy who bought it didn't exactly give a glowing review of its taste.
He didn't give any review until It's perfectly fine, and better than most other brands in it's category.

>nothing about taste
First guy was me. I thought it was obvious that calling it "shit" meant that it tasted bad. What else could that possibly mean?

I've been shilled this
Not a big fan of caramel like Morgans Dark but is this any good?

I've never had it, but I'm wary. The label implies it has "added flavors". That's nearly always a sign of a crappy spirit.

Since you quoted me, I'll respond. Sadly, I have no opinion to give as I've never tried it. Best rum is Gosling's, and that's all that I know.

Mix it with a few spoonfuls of kratom and you got yourself a party my dude

Johannsen Rum is my favorite. Took a tour of their facilities and that's when I got hooked, there's just so much history and craftsmanship there. Fantastic stuff.

Kraken is Tasty. I finished a bottle last week. Good with Coke too.

The color off-puts me tbqh, I'm pretty much a rum racist [or a rum realist]. Dark is always better in my book. Will have to try.

It's really not bad, but I can't stop thinking about Gosling's.

There was one liquor store I went to where the guy didn't even know what Kraken was. The guy next to me in line answered for me when the cashier asked where the bottle was

goat

caskers.com/rhum-clement-vsop-vieux-agricole/

hey fuck you I like kraken. It has a great flavour for a rum with that high of an alcohol content.

Strayan here.
Pic related is fantastic, I don't know if you can get it easily overseas though.

Recently started trying some Havana Club and it is okay I guess.

kraken is alright. i'm not much for rum in general but it seems common at social gatherings in my friendgroup so i end up drinking it sometimes. mixes well with dr. pepper

my personal choice, hard to find where I'm at theses days though

I mainly stick to beer and whiskey. What's the deal with spiced rum? What makes it pleb-tier?

Have you ever had the misfortune of visiting Beenleigh? It's stuck in 1970. Mullets and Holden Kingswoods everywhere.

It's mostly retards thinking all spiced rum is artificially flavoured and syrupy like Nelson's.

They have literally never had real spiced rum.

What should I be looking for? I actually came to this thread just for this question.

All I've had in Captain Morgan's and Bacardi Oakheart spiced rum. I enjoy it. Apparently it's pleb-tier though, I don't know what actual experienced drinkers look for in spiced rum.

I've had the caramel and coconut and it's pretty good tbf

Newcomer to rum here, I bought a bottle of Zacapa 23 and love it.

The real benefit of kraken is that it makes it go from rum and coke to rum and vanilla coke without actually having to buy vanilla coke.

Posted in the other thread by accident, I'm drinking on this. Was a gift and I'm really liking it.

Kraken mixes pretty well with most any soda, and it's $20 cheaper than Johnny Walker Red. There's something to say for its marketing because the bottle looks great on your counter.

I love you.

One of the best rums I've had. It smells like a light sugar water. Initially tastes like sugar (not caramel), then smokey/spices, and ends with a very long oak note that just lasts. The alcohol is drowned out by the spice notes too.

Looks fancy user

It really isn't half bad. No Gosling's, but not half bad. It certainly did its job of getting me drunk.

Looks legit.

What do you guys think of Pyrat? I've always liked it okay and noticed that it's now only $16, where a few years ago it was going for $25. What happened?

This was the only decent spiced rum I've had, way better than trash like Sailor Jerry or Kraken. Gotta say I haven't seen it in a while either.

I just bought this and haven't drunk it yet, but I did sniff it. It doesn't have the characteristic vanilla smell that I'm accustomed to with amber rums. Did I make a mistake dropping 40 bucks on this?

My family loves this stuff, and so do I. As for price I dunno maybe supply went way up or they got purchased by a larger vendor? Either way it has an orange cream soda flavor to it

Been some time since I've had it but Zacapa 23 is good stuff.

What exactly does a darker color mean for rum?

That's a good question. I'm not entirely sure myself, but it certainly makes a different type of rum than lighter colored rums. Won't google and pretend like I know the difference, but dark rum is better than lighter rum every single time that I've tried either.

Still curious to know the quality of capt Morgans dark rum if anyone can tell me.

More molasses in some cases, aged longer in others. Pic related is my favorite rum.

this is a personal favorite of mine, i really only ever use it with sodas, but my dad has it with apple cider, thats pretty good too.

STEP ASIDE FOOLS, MAKE SPACE FOR THE KING OF RUMS

Joking aside for the money Diplomatico is fucking excellent. While I am working towards becoming a raging alcoholic which means sticking to cheaper rums (I really want to like the cheaper angostura but it never sits well with me) Diplomatico is my go-to rum for sipping and those special occasions. My go-to el cheapo rum is Old Monk - cheap enough and has quite a good taste.

One thing that I am gutted about is as a britbong I missed out on getting my hands on some genuine royal navy rum when the whiskey exchange got their hands on a consignment of the stuff to celebrate black tot day.

The orange didn't go down well with me but I do like the cool little Hoti tag I got with mine.

literally shit in a bottle

This one is without a doubt the best sipping rum you can buy. About $35 USD where I am located.

From where I acquire the stuff it is generally around 45-50 bongs which is well within reasonable for a sipping rum but far too much if you just want to get annihilated. One rum I want to try is Ron Millonario XO Reserva Especial Rum but that is rather expensive and such a price point is difficult to justify for anything more than sipping a single glass in the evening.

Those sorts of premium rums strike me as the sort of rums you sip while in a classic english drawing room while a thunderstorm rages outside and you are kept warm by an open fire and smoking jacket while reading. Naturally such a thing is top comfy and basically fiction but one can always dream eh?

BTW Veeky Forums, please post autism hats while discussing rum. I would normally think this is off-topic but since clearly off-topic /pol/ threads are apparently allowed here, why not?

Diplomatic is pretty nice but it was hard to get in my state. (Not much call for it?). I found Kirk and Sweeney and it is very good

Dammit.

Gotta stop drinking so much

Kraken rum is a has the an alcohol of 47 ish percent with the price of an 35 percent with a cool bottle. It makes for a very fun and cheap mixer but is never meant to be drank straight.

I make depth charges which is a red bull with 3 shots of it. Goes well in parties

this shit has no right being so good so cheap

anybody try it?

>$8
>craving rum
Fuck my face.

is trading one taste of alcohol for another taste of alcohol that important

is trading one taste of caffiene for another taste of caffiene that important

My corner liquor store, which has a tiny selection, actually carries this. I'll try it next.

You got it in the end lol. That's a chunky-ass bottle, how is that stuff?

This thread is dangerous. Got the 896 to try out and the Pyrat since it's cheap now and it's been so long. Only had a small sip of the 896 but it seems nice, has a little bit of a toasted sesame note going on. The Pyrat is exactly as I remember, tastes very orange-y and very easy-drinking.

the same as the difference between whiskey and vodka. Which means light rum is basically useless for anything except mixing

if you're expecting more out of a 12 dollar bottle, you're a dumbass

everyone needs an introduction to each type of liquor. For dark rum, it's going to be Myer's.

>not buying the 5th of bottom shelf vodka for $4.99

Literally manchildren

am i a pleb

Judging exclusively on looks, it looks somewhat decent. I would say you're not a pleb, but this is coming from a pleb.

I hear that. I buy bottom shelf everything. My vodka is in an oversized plastic bottle it looks like Fred Flintstone would drink.

how pleb am I?

I thought this was delicious

Usual status for me. But will go to the mid-level shelves when I have money. There's simply no substitute for Sambuca, and Gosling's is tasty af

Once again, never tried it, but judging based on looks alone it looks like a mildly improved Captain Morgans. Not very pleb at all desu

Probably pleb but this is the best rum I've had.

I have been meaning to try that - could you describe what it tastes like?

I don't have a great palate but there's definitely orange and vanilla.

THis is the best rum I've had. No idea how pleb it was I just wanted to have it since the bottle was GOAT

Damn, that's a great bottle. Never seen it before and would have definitely bought it if I did. Reminds me of Mrs Buttersworth.

Hehe alcohol LOL

>mfw kraken here is 2 times more expensive then red label

West Canadian here, Goslings has a special place but it's rough on the aftertaste. Old Monk is really really nice but I can't get it cheap very often. Coruba is nice too and I can get it around $23.99 and so most times it wins.

I bought a bottle of cruzan black strap the other day. it tastes like christmas cookies dissolved in gasoline. what am I supposed to drink if I want something like this or goslings but not as harsh? it seems like the more expensive dark rums aren't really as dark looking.

Where the hell are you finding this for $12
I have never ever seen it for less than $18

diplomatico is so tasty

America.
It's alright for mixing grog or making aftershave.

I can't get into rum. Tried Morgans and Appleton's and both taste like like crap. Appleton's tastes like liquid wood. Switched to brandy.

Never heard of Appleton's before, but were either of the types you tried dark rum? Dark rum is an entirely different being than lighter rums.

Due North rum is delicious. Made by a whisky stillhouse in Red Hook. A but expensive but worth it.

100% agree. This is about $20 where I am at. The version one step below this is about $15, and frankly an absolute steal.

I've purchased in the past Ron Zacapa Sistema Solera ($50-55 USD) and Plantation XO 20th ($50 usd). Compared to those, and for the price, Plantation 5 yr is a monster value.

What do non-Australians think of Bundaberg rum?

Honestly, try Plantation if you are on a budget. I can't say any white rum will taste good stand alone, but their darker rums are splendid. The Bacardis and Captain Morgans are all priced higher, yet do not compare. Don't fall for marketing traps like that.

Speaking as a non-australian, I have never heard of it.

This raises an interesting question in my mind, what are the most marketing trap-tier overpriced rums?