The English produced Shakespeare and Chaucer

>the English produced Shakespeare and Chaucer
>the Irish produced Joyce and Yeats
>the Americans produced Faulkner and Melville
>the Australians produced... ???

Why didn't Australia generate any noteworthy national literature, /int/? Were they too busy shitposting?

Colleen McCullough

/thread

Patrick White

Literally whom

It's unfair to compare a country that is barely 3 centuries old with a very small population, to much larger countries with long histories. Especially when this country initially was a prison colony with harsh living conditions and with a rough nature - Thus the already small population was mainly occupied by securing material welfare and survival, rather than cultural pursuits.

Chinua Achebe, I guess?

I just read this guy's bio and he seems cool. Thanks for the rec

>can only produce overrated memes like Spearshaker, Saucer, Joy, Yeast, Fuckner, and Meowville
>has to ask about others
Wew

Seems a plausible explanation, but even in modern history there should be at least one world renowned writer

>unfair to compare Ausfalia to the US
Australian poster pls go

>Joyce, Faulkner, and Meowville overrated
Wew lad

Robbery under arms
Ultima Thule

>Why didn't Australia generate any noteworthy national literature, /int/? Were they too busy shitposting?
Patrick White

Paul Hogan

i'll give you some national lit,

when it's time for some (you)'s, this spastic will post, shits on my island, because it's not his from birth, this faggot is jelly, because we are the best in the world. also an answer to your question op, we are a young country, younger than most, so please reconsider suicide, before you submit your next post.

love straya

Tim Winton
Patrick White
Joan Lindsay
Banjo Paterson

to name a few

The Plains
On the Beach

How come you guys don't let the abos use that excuse though?

I'm Belgian, not Australian. And it's unfair to compare the US with Australia because they have a lot more history and migrants (current population is many tenfolds that of Australia)

That's fair, but the United States also had many other factors which led to it's success. Innovation and adversity that came from more than being in the desert. It's a unique thing to be American, I think it feels different. Not better, not godly, but different. That's the mark of a culture, and it's very strong in American people.

40 thousand years is a long time

Also we destroyed most of their cultural works in deliberate acts of ongoing genocide.

Frank Hardie
Helen Palmer
The Lukacs children
Raewyn Connell

>Replacing that with bogan culture

Bogan culture is actually fairly well advanced in comparison to University or bourgeois high and low cultures in Australia. But yes, compared to the many complex Aboriginal cultures bogan culture does only have a 220 year connection to the land and work.

You should really castigate 7 9 10 ABC SBS and Fairfax for the crap quality of rich cunt culture in Australia. There's a good book on featuritis in Australian architecture whose author I've forgotten.

Also "The Odd Angry Shot" is a pretty good book from a self-boganising bourgeois.

Finally if you compare CPA gumleaf nationalist productions to the authentic works of Australian culture (Sunday too far away, Wake in Fright, Lantana), you'll see that there is an authentic anglo culture in Australia: the landscape and other anglos will kill and rape you.

Paul Jennings

Isn't there an Australian author Carey or something? Wrote a book about a older guy who had a heart attack, somewhat surrealist.
And also
>leaving out Beckett in Irish author list of any length
Just.

shit could be worse m8

>Isn't there an Australian author Carey or something?

You mean Peter Carey?

Yep

Me

patrick white
christina stead
randolph stow
peter carey
gerald murnane

all great novelists - can name many more who are very good.
australia does fine.

We have Catherine Mansfield and Frank Sargeson

>gerald murnane
Good taste.
>australia does fine.
We both know this is a lie.

we have a good tradition of the novel going back to joseph furphy. it's just, for whatever reason, minimised. white and stead especially some of the best post wwii writers in english (i would argue white is the best)

if anyone is interested in reading more about it, check out "the burning library" by geordie williamson

you're that one guy that pulls this card every thread aren't you.

bloody give it a rest already we stink.

it is worth pulling on

Of the writers you mentioned that I'm familiar with, I agree that they are goid. But they are not treat, not in the sense that the OP is talking about. They are talented and interesting, but they are only of national significance. They haven't made ripples in world literature like the members of the Canon that OP mentioned.

good* and great* jesus.

lol the only australian writer this board consistently knows of is a nobel laureate. get wrecked entry level scum.

>Were they too busy shitposting?
yes t b h
I could literally be writing the great australian novel right now but I'm too busy shitposting and also wasted my arts degree getting my dick sucked by art hoes
now I'm living on centrelink payments but its all good

I'd also like to chime in that Tim Winton is pretty good but middlebrow. Murnane is good as some have said

not nearly as good as any of the authors in the OP

she is the best that anyone's posted, so good show I guess

>it is worth pulling on

not with the threadbare argument you're putting forward it isn't.

patrick white was immensely talented but if a british expat is our crowning novelist then what the fuck. we have some great writers but our literary landscape at this level is sparse at best. why do you refuse to accept this? you post like you're a government-appointed spokesperson.

>no Mark Brandon Reid

Fucking cunts

Actually the best post I have read on Veeky Forums, and I am a 2007fag. You sound like a good bloke, please keep posting.

Australia produces the world's greatest hoaxes. From Angry Penguins to Hanging Rock, there're ample reasons why nobody believed that dingo ate her baby.

Hey Australia might suck but at least they aren't Canada.

And AC/DC rocks!

Rock on Bogans!

>Canada produced...?

Hahahaha I used to live down the road from her on Norfolk Island and one day we went around the island in a WWII jeep with some others. She was sweet as heck but people remember her as really grumpy. Perhaps she just liked kids.

that ungrateful nog is an "Australian" now is he?

We've had some unbelievable movies, a lot of our good writers are working there. Nick Cave, Joe Hillcoat, Jane Campion etc

>American
>culture

heh

quality, not quantity, you dumb mayonnaise-on-chips eating Belgian.
the Irish, for example, have a tiny population compared to the US (or Britain, for that matter) and have produced way more writers of note than the Australians or Kiwis. And they've only been writing English generally speaking for less than 200 years...

Beckett was for all intents and purposes a frog, though the Paddies like to claim him as their own. (he wrote mostly in french, user)

I guess he was a mutant third-culture-cunt at the end of the day.

>(he wrote mostly in french, user)

Yeah but a lot of his characters and settings were Irish. "Molloy" isn't exactly a French name, is it?

>(he wrote mostly in french, user)
that's as flimsy as when the brits try to claim joyce.

Right.
And Beckett, Molyneux, Guerin, and Fitz-whatever are all Irish in origin?

Your point being?
Of course his Irish heritage played a large role, but he chose France, and belongs in that tradition as I see it, though with a concentrated squirt of mickness running subtly through his work (though he consciously attempted o exorcise those joycean demons as we know)

never really knew the Brits would claim Joyce anymore than they would some random Indian author who writes in English. We're talking about the author's identity and writings. In this case, self-imposed exile, writing in another language, in a style mostly influenced by foreign authors.

also see my last sentence, user.

fwiw, paddy here,. though one with no parochial pride in these matters.

Because its hard to come to the game this late. Australians only really even gained an Australian identity rather than over seas Britons in WWI, and even so there's almost no cultural memory among Australians nobody knows anything about history from the colonial period or even folk ballads.

Nor do people even care about high culture, the only people who consider themselves part of the arts community here are the most cringeworthy and self gratifying, bourgeois trash going.
I almost go over the edge any time I see an ad for the mix on the ABC

And even if there is were any fully formed Australian masterpieces already in existence its not like anybody would read them to check

>the only people who consider themselves part of the arts community here are the most cringeworthy and self gratifying, bourgeois trash going.

THIS. Fuck every one of those idiot lemmings.

AC/DC is garbage.

>that's as flimsy as when the brits try to claim joyce.

Except Joyce never even claimed the fucking Irish.

He refused Irish citizenship and remained British unto death. Just because his most famous works dealt with Dublin/etc doesn't make him Irish.

You could call him Anglo-Irish, being generous.

>english
>irish

do scotland and wales have anything going for them?

Patrick White.

Say what you want, but they have godly banter.

We fucked their shit, now they're all addicts. Also we're 2%neanderthal, theyre 5%.
Fuck full blooded abos, you dont know how bad they are until you have been around them, you really dont.

Could you bait any harder?
-
I think a large issue with australian writers is they try to inject the outback, early australian culture or fucking abos in everything, rather than pursuing a great story.

Also as mentioned earlier,
Chopper you bloody grumbys!

>Australia's most cherished writer is named "Banjo"
can't make this shit up

Ireland was literally an occupied country for the majority of its existence, with its native language banned, the majority population practitioners of Catholicism forbidden from education or from living near the city, 1/3rd of its population literally starved to death and it somehow still excelled in literature and produced James Joyce, a man whose grasp of literature and language was so deep no one can actually even make sense of it.