Putting together a compilation of western literature and philosophy (e-book collection look @ /t/ in a month or two)...

Putting together a compilation of western literature and philosophy (e-book collection look @ /t/ in a month or two), and I'm having a hard time determining the root folder structure.

Broadly speaking what are the major periods in the west and what specifically marks their beginning and end? For instance most people will agree the medieval/middle ages started with the fall of the Rome in 476 and ended with the fall of Constantinople in 1453.

I'd like to use as little beginning branches from the root as possible, but I don't really want to bundle 1453-1914 as "early modern" for instance.

Other urls found in this thread:

sonic.net/~rteeter/grtbloom.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

sonic.net/~rteeter/grtbloom.html

A. The Theocratic Age: 2000 BCE-1321 CE
B. The Aristocratic Age: 1321-1832
C. The Democratic Age: 1832-1900
D. The Chaotic Age: 20th Century

I'm not saying this is the end-all answer of course, but it might be of help.

The French Revolution should begin the Late Modern Period, so with Hegel, and end around WW2, with Heidegger.

Add a period between Jesus and the Apostolic Age to the Fall of Rome. Perhaps denote it as Early Christianity as it is very different from the time of the Greeks and Romans.

Everything else seems correct imho.

I'd say lump thinkers into their respective by the date of the publication of their major work(s).

Thanks for this link

Why use political events to base your cultural periodization on? I would rather use cultural developments such as the Renaissance and the Enlightenment as markers, rather than arbitrary political events - with the exception of the second world war because of its cultural influence.

I'm not really set on anything, just exploring my options for now.

Kinda autistic that i'm spending this long on folder structure but I really want this to turn out good and organization of all these books is going to be key.

but you cant separate the two y'know. hegel was tremedously inspired by the french revolution, heidegger was involved with the nazis in ww2, augustine discusses the fall of rome and explains why it isnt the christians fault, the fall of constantinople brings in byzantine scholars who possessed the manuscripts of plato to florence which eventually triggers the italian renaissance, and so on. to say this is to imply that there is no relationship between theory and practice.

The world isn't black and white user - I never claimed that political events have no cultural impact. I just stated that basing a cultural periodization on political events doesn't make sense.

well then provide some examples of major political events that did not have a profound effect on the larger culture as im still very skeptical of your claim

>'I never claimed that political events have no cultural impact.'
>'well then provide some examples of major political events that did not have a profound effect'

Are you illiterate?

>Why use political events to base your cultural periodization on? I would rather use cultural developments such as the Renaissance and the Enlightenment as markers, rather than arbitrary political events
>rather than arbitrary political events
>arbitrary political events
do recall what you said, user

helo friend are you on Bib? I'm looking forward to your /t/ torrent, I'll seed with a commercial line if I can remember to snatch it in a month.

nys

Maybe it might help if i post the original folder structure I came up with.

I - Greek and Roman (776 BC - 476)
II - Medieval Period (476 - 1453)
III - Renaissance (1453 - 1715)
IV - Age of Enlightenment (1715 - 1789)

So here is where I got really fucked up and you can see the balkanization Bloom talks about. Have no idea how to deal with this time period between french revolution and WW1.

Modern (1914 - 1945)
Contemporary (1945 - Present)

I'd like to keep the root structure to no more than 10 periods. Just looking for ideas for dates, periods what started/ended them and what would best be used for an entire history of western canon, focusing on written works.

Also remember this is the root, there are plenty of possibilities within them to put things in their appropriate category. I'm just being autistic about this part for some reason and want it to be as good as possible.

?

why is there 4 threads with a Dante OP pic, what did I miss?

we all aspire to be him

>bundling Greek and Rome
>(((Renaissance)))
>1945 is contemporary

1. Pre-Socratic
2. Classical
3. Hellenistic
4.Roman
5. Medieval
6. Renaissance
7. Age of Reason
8. Age of Enlightenment
9. Modern
10. Contemporary

Your welcome, anyone saying otherwise is retarded.

The renaissance started a bit before the fall of Constantinople, but it's a good enough marker.

But the renaissance ended not even 100 years later thanks to the protestant revolution. I have no idea why people cite the renaissance being anywhere near 1700 let alone inside of it.

Ancients
Roman
1500-1800
1800-1900
1900-2000

Or this

The renaissance only died in Italy where it started because catholic church lost power and trade routes moved westward due Indian trade route opening up and the discovery of the new world.

King Louis 14th death is as good a marker as you are gonna get for the end of the renaissance for Europe as a whole.

How the fuck did a French Kings death end the renaissance?

Uh the french revolution? Are you perhaps retarded?

this is lazy

1. Greek (776 BC - 146 BC)
2. Roman (146 BC - 476)
3. Medieval (476 - 1453)
4. Renaissance (1453 - 1517)
5. Reformation (1517 - 1687)
6. Enlightenment (1687 - 1789)
7. Revolution (1789 - 1914)
8. Interwar (1914 - 1945 )
9. Modern (1945 - 1991)
10. Contemporary (1991 - Present)

OP here, this is what I have now. Any thoughts?

i dig this op