Tell me your family members' favourite books

Tell me your family members' favourite books.

I see my mom reading scarlet letter a lot

never seen my dad read

brother doesn't read

My family and the word "read" does not coalesce

my sister reads a lot of plebby shit and also dfw make of that what u will

My dad: Stephen Kings IT
My mom: Also some Stephen King but idk, shes dead now for almost 10 years
Half-Sister: Dont know. Dont have any contact.
1st Brother: Lord of the Rings
2nd Brother: Dont read.
3rd Brother: Dont read
Mine is Crime & Punishment.

Family doesn't read regularly, or at all, really.

Although my father said something about The Old Man and the Sea one time.

mum: probs a jane austen
dad: probs a dostoyevsky
brother: captain underpants idk he doesn't read
sister: doesn't read

Dad: reads one book a year on holiday while sunbathing, usually an autobiography of an athlete of comedian.
Mum: Maeve Binchy and Iris Murdoch
Brother:Tolkien and Terry Pratchett

Mom: The Holy Bible, Devotional Guide Books, Jesus Calling, Historical religious fictions (light bodice rippers for church women).
Dad: Pocket Edition New Testament he got in Vietnam from a chaplain and NOT ANOTHER BOOK IN HIS ENTIRE LIFE.
Brother: Lord of the Rings, Chronicles of Narnia, Other C.S. Lewis, General Seminarian Theological works from various time periods, studies of early, medieval, and reformation era churches.
Me: The Humanist Bible, Oxford Complete Shakespeare, otherwise Non-fiction exclusively.

I don't even know why I am here. I'm spooked to shit.

Mom: probably something by Fred Vargas
Dad: Les Misérables
Sister: Invisible Cities

My father's favorite book is probably Candide. He talks about it fairly frequently and is highly amused by it. My mother's favorite book is probably The Dolorous Passion, since she's a hardcore Catholic.

my mother reads erotica and no one else in my family reads, except my weebo sister, she reads crappy manga

Your two families would make a good episode of WifeSwap.

Hemingway doesn't get talked about all that much here, which I think is a shame because I love The Old Man and the Sea.

>The Humanist Bible
Is this the peak of being tsundere towards Christianity?

Mom likes Michael Connelly
Dad likes LeCarre but is also obsessed with Japanese history and reads a lot more non fiction than fiction
Brother is a New Jersey plastic Paddy so either Angela's Ashes or some Eugene O'Neill 'wah my whole family's drunk' play.

My parents have only read the bible, and my sisters don't read much.

i'm black

my diary desu

my mom's favorite is twilight

Mom: Platero y yo by Juan Ramón Jiménez

Dad: The constant gardener by John le Carré

Sister: Harry Potter

Bump

Sister: The Fault in Our Stars

I have never seen my parents reading a book.

The constant gardener is great but a bit bizarre for a favourite book. Does he like the espionage stuff - Smiley trilogy and the like - at all? TTSS could be my favourite. My sister has been re-reading Harry Potters for who knows how many years.

My dad doesn't read much, mainly just SAS stuff like Bravo Two Zero

My mum manly reads those books about child abuse and shit, I've noticed a lot of middle aged women do. I did however give her Spring Snow by Yukio Mishima and she has been reading it.

I don't really know but if I had to guess

Dad: some Kipling
Mom: some romance from the 90s
Brother: Siddhartha

My dad said he liked catcher in the rye as a kid and all I've ever seen him read is graham Greene lol

My brother is fucking obsessed with Meditations, I think he actually has autism, I've never seen his read another book for the last 3 years.

Tell me your family members' favourite spooks

Moderation, Love, Ecology, the Right, the Good, The Donald, Family, Capital. I think that's it. Pretty standard petite bourgeoisie stuff.

same

your family likes trump? my mom is seriously spooked by her dislike of trump. she spends about an hour every morning reading how bad he is, fuming, then takes until about 1pm to calm down and continue her day

so you dont have families? or your families just dont read?

Yes, he's a negative spook in my family also. So is Capital ("money is the root of all evil and makes the world go round").

money is a positive spook in 95% of people's relationships with it. for the other 5%, it is a lot easier to just say "i hate money" than to interact with it as property. in general, material consumerism is pathetic on both side

Dad: I think he said once that it was Animal Farm.
Mum: Maybe some proletarian novel. She reads a lot of crime fiction but I don't think she'd rate of one those as a favourite.
Sister: Probably not her favourite but I know she really likes The Trial.
Brother: Probably some commie non-ficion lol.

My gran likes Kahlil Gibran

Dad: Beyond Good and Evil, probably something by Hemmingway too
Mom: The Bible
Aunt: Anything by virgina woolf
Grandmother: Anything by Baumam
Step-Dad: Some self help or economy book

cousin brad: moby dick
cousin jay: the leopard
my sister: the yaqui way
my dad: tolstoy
my mom: camille paglia

My mother's favorite book, if I recall correctly, was To Kill a Mockingbird. She got it when she was in high school, stole it from the library, still has it over her mantle. My father most likely has some Gordon Ramsey book as his personal favorite, seeing as he's a Cuban immigrant and just recently bought a massive new 2-story with a home theater system out where new rich people live. It's all I've ever seen around. My older brother said Batman : Court of Owls, so, partial credit. My younger brother detests reading books, so he couldn't really come up with anything.

Diverse folks.

>Mother
To Kill a Mockingbird
>Father
Death of a Salesman
>Me
The History of the Peloponnesian War

Lol do you support him? If not, u should pretend to do so lmao

Wait. Are they lefties and hate for trump is their spook or is the other way around?

Yes, they hate him to the point that they have fixed the idea. They have a tortured relationship with money, which they view as a "necessary evil." Like I said, pretty much the definition of modern petite bourgeoisie.

Ahah tell me that you are conservative lmao

Not even close. Nice try, though.

What the fuck does that even mean lmao (hope you can see the layer of what I meant here)

My father has recently been listening to Russian-language audiobooks on his hourlong commute - his favorites have been Solzhenitsyn and Garcia-Marquez.

My mother only reads her Synodal Bible daily.

My teenage sister is into pulp fiction, mainly Chandler, Hammett, etc. and older sci fi and fantasy including Tolkien, Bradbury, and Lovecraft.

I, myself, am autistic and prefer American postmodernism.

Mom:
Any Dostoevsky
The Idiot especially maybe.
Day In The Life Of Ivan Denosovich
The Oak And The Calf
The Chosen

Sister:
Just about everything, but she converted to liberalism and she's started reading all sorts of YA and contemporary drivel where she used to read Middle-English fluently. Also she's demonstrably stupider than she was as a teen.

My father's favorite is The Name of the Wind.

I am unsure of my mother, who reads a great deal of popular fiction/non-fiction.

My sister doesn't read.

my parents don't read

Literally nothing. Not even entry level pleb tier.

>Invisible Cities
Your sister has great taste

i hate yur step-dad

Smack your dad with some real literature

My bro's fav book is Atlas Shrugged, which is probably understandable because he's 19 acting like ubermensch and shit. (I'm yet to read it, basing my opinion on reviews)

My mother reads true crime books, I think

I've never seen my dad read a book, my brother is much the same

my mom reads Hamish Macbeth mystery novels almost exclusively, but recommended me One Hundred Years of Solitude

my dad reads buddhist texts but also really trashy science fiction novels bordering on ya

my sisters have all graduated college and read exclusively ya trash and vampire romance

Liberalism is a disease

>Liberalism is a disease

Maybe if you're in the top 1%

>Dad
Was once able to quote Don Quixote and William Shakespeare on impulse. The most he's read the past maybe 7 to 9 years are the introductions to Bill O'Reilly nonfictions and Tom Clancy airport novels.

In an effort to make him seem interesting, I'll say his favorite novel is Don Quixote.

>Mom
Supposedly she named me after Nathaniel Hawthorne because she liked the House of Seven Gables. She once had a rich collection of modern and classic books. I learned how to flick my tongue underneath the clitoris at an early age thanks to her Earth Children novels. Just like my father, her reading streak ended abruptly in her 30s. All she "reads" now is the Bible or random self-help books. "Seven Ways to Cope With Living With Highly Screwed Up People" and "Raising a Child with Aspergers" (despite appearances this applies more to my little brother than me) are among the titles.

So I'll say House of Seven Gables to make her seem more interesting.

>Older brother
He only reads whatever I or his second-hand interpretation of Reddit friends tell him to read. The last book he was excited about was The Alchemist by Pablo Coelho, which seemed like new age sentimental trash to me. He's always buying books and never reading them. His sensibility seems to have hardly ever have evolved or changed. He's not stupid per se, just sort of shallow.

>Younger brother
I know Philip K. Dick is his favorite novellist. I'm not sure which novel is his favorite. He's sort of dumb and only latches onto the conceits and gimmicks Dick uses, not necessarily the grander themes or ideas. He's diagnosed with aspergers and schizophrenia.

>Me
I get very excited by books and perpetually feel that such and such is my new favorite. The Trial, Lolita, Moby Dick, Crime and Punishment and The Stranger are the ones that stuck with me the most.

>Mom
Christian self-help devotionals
>sister
Doesn't read, I think the last time I remember her reading was The Hunger Games when it was popular
>Dad
The Lord of the Rings, Dune, Arthur C. Clarke, Asimov, pretty based desu

I don't know what his favorite is but my dad almost exclusively reads biographies of rock stars he likes.

Based

Dad: no idea, half of the books he reads are in foreign languages and alphabets
Mom: She read a lot of russian literature to get her useless slavic languages degree but dunno what she's reading nowadays. Usually YA so she can deal with book assignments from her students better
Sister: lol
me: I mostly read non fiction, a lot of history and political bollocks. can't pick a favorite thing
Pretty much said nothing here.
However what is it with moms itt being so christian? Is this an american thing?

>mom
she would probably say something like harry potter. at least she isnt pretentious. she read a lot of king back when she was younger. gave me her slaughterhouse 5 when i was getting into literature as a kid

>dad
claims he likes hemmingway and fitzgerald, but i dont think he read anything by them all the way through. he would probably say the great gatsby. fun fact, he claims his professor stole his short story and sold it to a screenwriter that made it into the deer hunter. really though, the short story is just a man from war that cant hunt anymore.

>brother
some book on debating and shit. he doesnt really read

>other brother
i dont think he reads at all

>he claims his professor stole his short story and sold it to a screenwriter that made it into the deer hunter. really though, the short story is just a man from war that cant hunt anymore
Veeky Forums af

Graham Greene is pretty good.

I checked with Dad. His favorite novel is Shogun. I should have guessed. Tinker Tailor was his favorite Le Carre.

I told him 'some friends' and I were discussing our parents favorite books. I was too embarrassed to explain Veeky Forums I him.

Why so embarrassed? w-what did we do wrong?

what fucking age are you?

Dad only reads pop science
Mom would probably say Anna Karenina but I doubt she's ever read it.
Sister just keeps on re-reading Harry Potters

>Dad
Probably Dhalgren
>Mom
I think The Crucible or Death of a Salesman (if those count as books)
>Little sister
Walden

>including yourself
>ishygddt

mother: some krimi, probably from Ingrid Noll
father: doesn't read (much), but probably some biography of a historical figure
sister: doesn't read (much), loved twilight in her teens, hates it now; but i don't know if she likes anything else
>brother: Krabatt from Ottfried Preußler

>Dad
Mostly reads thrillers, shit like Joe Nesbo
>Mum
Mostly likes historical novels
>Brother
Has a degree in English literature. Doesn't read

>Dad: I think he said once that it was Animal Farm.
>Brother: Probably some commie non-ficion lol.

do they argue a lot?

its not you, user it's me. I'm too much of a shut in and too lacking in social skills (or social inclinations for that matter). Dads a little more of a normie (though some mild eccentricities) and I don't want him to worry

Not that much. Dad's on the lefter end of social democrats so they can still hate liberals/conservatives together.

>Dad: One hundred years of solitude, or really anything by García Márquez
>Mom: either The Book Thief or something, also, by García Márquez
>My youngest brother just reads kids books and ya (he's like 11, so--).
>Me: either Naked Lunch or Lolita. White Noise, maybe. Idk.

what in the fuck happened here

You just know who your family voted for

My dad reads a lot, mostly historical fiction set in either the Middle Ages or ancient Egypt
My mom doesn't really read except for biographies and recently a book about freemasonry

mother: wuthering heights
father: the stars my destination
sister: some pleb shit i guess, i have no idea. i think she only reads those endless crime books that seem to exist
grandpa: 1066 and all that

Same

Dad reads religious stuff, generally pop-Christian stuff, as well as books on leadership and the like because he's a pastor.
Mom reads magazines.
I've been to my sister's apartment once and I remember seeing books but the only thing I remember about them is that she had shit taste.
Mine is Mrs. Dalloway or C&P. Maybe Franny and Zooey.

Brother: Doesn't read.

Father: Doesn't read anymore really, but probably did when he was younger. I've never asked him.

Mom: Reads a lot, but its mostly pleb tier mystery fiction and flavour of the month stuff recommended in the paper.

>Mom reads Opera's bookclub stuff
>Dad reads the occasional mafia book
>Sister doesn't read but she loves reality TV
>Grandmother is a readaholic but it is all normie stuff like Dan Brown

>Mom

Oprah's Book Club has some good stuff (Franzen, Steinbeck, Marquez, McCullers, Faulkner, McCarthy, etc.)

>Dad

Puzo and Sciascia are alright, I guess.

>Sister

I'm guessing your sister works, and reality tv is an okay way to get some light entertainment and let your brain rest a bit.

Your Grandmother is senile.

>Mom
I know that she read a lot back when she was young, stuff like Scarlet Letter, and I think she read Garcia Marquez in Spanish in college. Can't say what her favorite is though, and I haven't seen her read in years.

>Dad
Seemingly well-read, can quote Nietzsche and Shakespeare even if he looks like your typical suburban dad most of the time. He's a lawyer so he mostly reads non-fiction, and I haven't seen him read much. I'd say he really liked Beyond Good and Evil when he read it in college for a philosophy class.

>Sister
Mostly YA stuff, though I've been trying to get her to read some entry-level lit. She likes murder mysteries and courtroom dramas so I've been getting her to read Crime and Punishment, she likes it so far, she just complains about the pages-long paragraphs.

Your little sister seems to have good taste, would it be okay with you if I married her?

she was born without a vaginal canal

Serious?

yep

Yep. I guess zuckenberg, gates, all Silicon Valley, Hollywood and buffet are the true defendors of the working class.

Also I said liberalism, not Marxism,

I'd like to know how Marx would feel about the LGBTQA+ issues

> Father

Mein Kampf

> Mother

Whatever female gossip magazine that is nearest.

>Older Brother

Probably Siddhartha or the Foundation series.

>implying Faulkner and Marquez are good

Probably both desu

I always thought my dad only read scifi. He would read scifi books and then recommend me the ones that were good in high school. But now that I'm older and I've been looking at his bookshelfs, I realize that he has a lot of classics too. He has some Dostoevsky, and other stuff. And once he told me that Tolstoy was an amazing writer.

But he also has a ton of Christian books and devotionals. And I'm not talking about stuff like Augustine and Aquinas. It's more like cheesey stuff like The Purpose Driven Life. He has had a copy of City of God for at least a decade and he hasn't even read it yet.

I don't know what to think of his taste.

My mom loves Agatha Christie.

Could be worse I guess. Thinking it twice I'm not so sure. I wish she would be into Woolf instead.

Grandmother M: Bible. The only book she ever read.
Grandmother F: Never read a book.
Father: Never read a whole book.
Mother: Da Vinci Code.