NPR's Top 100 Science Fiction & Fantasy Books:
>i.imgur.com/IJxTQBL.jpg

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=pICAha0nsb0
youtube.com/watch?v=bpxtuUQ28UM
youtube.com/watch?v=PHjFIwbvzo8
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

If you really want to read a bunch of words written by Kevin J. Anderson then go ahead, it will most likely get you your Epic Fantasy IN SPACE fix and you might have some new books to shill to us because I don't think anyone else here has actually read them. But you should probably just start reading books off of this chart and then tell us which ones you like.

first for books about
>dark souls

This is actually a damn good chart. Though I would have worked Embassytown in on the last row somewhere.

I see there are a lot of fresh users in these threads... So time to shill my chart

Started Perdido Street Station, enjoying it so far but does anyone else think China is a less cringe Terry Pratchett?

>It's another Steve OP episode

Any military sci-fi suggestions?

Now thats a minefield if I say so myself

How can I write something you people actually enjoy? I mean, you guys love to shit on Rothfuss, ignore the existence of Martin, and can't admit liking Sanderson without being self-deprecating about it. Seriously, I've read them all and they're nowhere near as bad as you guys make them out to be. I actually enjoyed them. Even Kingkiller. Sure, each author has his own flaws (Sanderson's dialogue, Rothfuss' inability to have an actual plot, Martin's excessive reliance on shock value, etc.), but they're all still entertaining storytellers. It's like you guys are asking perfection from these guys.

Shitting on things other people enjoy is how bitter lonely people feel good about themselves.

Those are just some current year meme authors. You have decades worth of good books to choose from...

What's that book series with lots of GRI written by a woman? Dark pearl or black rose or something? Maybe her name started with P?

Has anyone read the original Conan stories by Howard? I just ordered the 3 book anthology and not sure if i fugged up

Most of us enjoy all those things.
Veeky Forums is not some ultimate space for geniouses to discuss literature. The fags here are the same fags that go to reddit and youtube and everywhere else.

It's a loud autistic lonly bitter minority that makes memes to shit on everything in order to feel superior.
Other lonely fags start copying the memes to feel like part of the group and at some point after spouting memes for months they become the perceived "identity" of the board or the general.

Most people here enjoy a variety of books and genres. The way you can write something that some of us here enjoy is by writing for yourself.

Since you are one of "us" there is a very high chance that at least a great many people might like it.

Unless your writing is shit, but even then maybe some people will like your books for the ideas.

black jewels

Recommend me books based on these songs.
youtube.com/watch?v=pICAha0nsb0
youtube.com/watch?v=bpxtuUQ28UM
youtube.com/watch?v=PHjFIwbvzo8

Thanks.

TUC when

That's not a bad suggestion actually, I could use another Humans Interact With Aliens novel.

I consider transhumanism to be a defining concept of the "New Millennium" but there there are already 3 books with those themes on there (plus Fire Upon the Deep).

I'm also a little conflicted about Fountains of Paradise; I think it's better than e.g. Rama or 2001 but it's not as typical of Clarke's style.

Hey /sffg/, what are some good books with an element of cosmic horror? Lovecraft goes without saying, but surely there are others worth reading that have elements of cosmic horror.

There are similarities, but ultimately I think they are quite different authors. Mieville shares a taste for the whimsical, but it runs more towards the grotesque than Pratchett, for instance.

Also, you say "Pratchett without the cringe" like it's a bad thing.

Most people enjoy them. They have aged surprisingly well.

Don't feel compelled to read them all at once.

I'm a fan of The Night Land personally, but it's written in an absolutely atrocious prose style. Consider John C. Wright's Awake In The Night Land as a more readable look into that world.

Many of Cordwainer Smith's stories involve horror at the vast depths of space. Scanners Live In Vain is a classic. The Rediscovery of Man anthology is worth reading at any rate.

Thomas Ligotti is considered by many the living master of cosmic horror, although I'm not familiar enough to make good recommendations -- maybe start with Teatro Grottesco. He's known for being unrelentingly nihilistic.

tfw you spend half of a fantasy book trying to work out if the author's actually doing some far future gimmick or not

If you are for whatever reason suspecting that it's usually for a good reason and ends up being true, in my experience.

What type do you want?

Space battles? Honor Harrington up until about book 9 or so. The Lost Fleet series. The Thrawn books.

Land combat? David Drake's Hammer's Slammers is probably the best IMO. A Small Colonial War by Robert Frezza. Gaunt's Ghosts.

A political theme? Starship Troopers and The Forever War are the traditional recommendations.

Bug hunts? Lazarus War series, The IX.

Hooah space marines? Old Man's War, Ian Douglas, the StarFist series, Linda Nagata's The Red.

Comedy? Mechanical Failure by Joe Zieja. Phule's Company by Robert Asprin. Ciaphas Cain.

More of a adventure/space opera with a military theme? Ninefox Gambit, the Spiral Wars series by Joel Shepherd, the first Ancillary Justice book. I think maybe some of Niel Asher's stuff falls here but I've never read him.

In a lot of recent books it's largely irrelevant though

Just a setting change and little else

Oh, forgot for space battles: Vatta's War, and the Dread Empire's Fall.

What books are the same sci fi genre as cowboy bepop

It has a little bit of everything. All being books I read and vouch for. Making charts takes hours, and I don't have the patience, ocd, or autism to put in all that time.

Pic related is what I was aiming at, this is also incomplete.

I still remember the day when you faggots tricked me into reading the prince of thorns. God i fucking hate this board. Kill yourself user

Huh. Thanks user, I legit needed to read this. I'm was stumped writing the climax of my book and I just finished a chapter. I worked myself up to an anxious state of mind and it paralyzed me without me noticing it.

Is Drew Karpshyn good

Mark Lawrence is the worst for this

He starts off subtle and then just flat out goes "yeah that's a nuke" or "yeah that's a giant magnifying glass satellite " in each of his settings

Where?

Chart autist's okay once you realise that he likes hyper edgy stuff and just ignore anything that fts that description

Is that cargo cult Wolfe or is there some other reason

>British sf is dea-

>up boat me plz
>i afk f
man

>He starts off subtle

>Literally a fucking AI machine in the first book
Also which of his books had a nuke?

The first one

the prince of thorns didn't have a nuke

>Sanderson's dialogue
I love his dialogue though desu... Though I guess I don't write myself and seem to love everything with some momentum to it with plot holes I don't notice as long as it is fantasy. The way Sazed always talks, to me at least, is amazing.

anyone here read & like jackson writes stuff off of reddit? casual reader here, just woundering what you guys think?

oh fuck me i'm retarded, i just remembered

By subtle I mean that it starts off just sounding like weird fantasy, with hook briar sounding a bit like a fantasy plant until you realise it's barbed wire

Then after about 50 pages any ambiguity goes flying out of the window.

>with hook briar sounding a bit like a fantasy plant until you realise it's barbed wire

Holy shit I never realized that

Yes it did lil nigga

Yeah, but why the fuck would they think barbed wire was a plant? You could just pick it up

Ya. The long ass roads is what gave it away for me. When he started talking about pourable stone. Man i hated that book

>tfw to low iq to notice things like that

Mark lawrence is a fucking tard

Hold on

>Dangerous Visions on the low end

...have you never seen big abandoned spools of barbed wire in industrial areas?

It's very similar to nettle bushes

>everyone who shits on The Name of the Wind is a miserable loser
Patrick finish your third book or die of poz already.

Awake in the Night Land

I've personally never read any Sanderson, though one of his influences is Robert Jordan and I know I don't like his writing. I love Martin, probably my favorite writer, though he has his flaws. Rothfuss I despise in every way. Rothfuss doesn't understand characters, doesn't know how to write a good plot, and utterly fails at prose. I know people say it's poetic, but its not really. IMO prose should either be beautifully crafted or else so-called windowpane prose. Beautifully crafted prose is much harder to do right than windowpane prose, and with Rothfuss it's clear that he is an amateur trying to be poetic and failing.

Anyway, this site, or at least the boards I frequent, tend towards the negative. It's easier for me to see what I don't like in Rothfuss than it is to pinpoint why I love Abercrombie or The Black Company. There are boards /mlp/ on here where anons pretend to hate what they really love, just for the (you)s. In short, don't ask weird contrarian assholes for real opinions. I might think Rothfuss is a hack who should have never made it past an editor, or landed an agent, or a publishing deal, but the man made millions, so what the fuck do I know?

I give it to him, he managed to do it subtly this time, and it's in the OP's picture

british sf is dying painfully but that was a damn good book

Ligotti will literally ruin your life

>I Want the Ideas, Fuck the Characters and the Plot
Yeeais

Sanderson is a good but highly affected by his Mormonism. GRRM is fine, I don't like it but it is fine.

Rothfuss.. don't put him in the same category as Sanderson who is middling (as far as professionals go)

>lots of mediocre authors & meme series
>no robin hobb

Shit chart.

For todays Fafhrd and Gray Mouser story I read The Howling Tower from 1941. The story begins with the pair encamped in front of a dying fire a far-flung location, when they hear a peculiar howling sound like wolves. Their fearful guide informs them that the howling is rumored to be from an old tower across the grasslands. He disappears the next morning.

There is a touch of Weird Tales and the gothic about this story like early HP Lovecraft. It's a tale of rescue, a long journey of foreboding through a barren plain, and an encounter with a grisly family history.

Long time no see user.
Were you also the same user that recommended Buried Giant around these parts?

>off of reddit
Where do you think you are?

>read most of them years before sffg became a thing
>told in 2010 when I joined lit to stay away from hobb
>private tracker forum told me to stay away from hobb
Go neck yourself faggit

Whoever told you to stay away from Hobb is a retard.
>listening to what neckbeards tell you
Neck yourself first faggot.

Reading these again. Only just realised that H in Redemption Ark is Sky Hausmann from Chasm City.

>womeme
>defending
Reddite needs to be purged from these hallowed halls

>most of the chart is pleb tier
>reads shit like brent weeks gayman sapkowski grrm anne bishop etc
>thinks he has the high ground

Robin Hobb is better than/equal to all of them.
Only autistic virgin spastics don't like her.

>Only autistic virgin spastics don't like her.
Or anyone who read her books outside of fitz and liveship

Because those are objectively shit

Who cares about her books outside of Fitz & the Liveships?

>tfw based Peter Watts will never post here but does QAs on reddit.

Chasm city was easily the best

Pete's got nothing to say here. We're just another group of fans.

>How can I write something you people actually enjoy?

Start with the Greeks.

>that middle image

>Sazed
One of the worst characters I've ever read. Cringed especially hard at his emo monologues.

Question: After having some fantasy under your belt, what do you expect in terms of new developments?

Is the rage all about taking the tired and proven not-medieval-europe and spinning something new out of it?
Is it deconstructing the whole "dude what if magic was real lmao" but with low-level magic so it doesn't utterly break everything (or advance things to the atomic age in like two weeks)?
Maybe focus on the peripherals in both terms of culture and philosophy (notvikings, notarabs, notturks, etc)
Or is all of these just a vehicle and the meat will always be character interactions and political intrigue?

>her

>Womameme author
>Ever good

Le Guin & Robin Hobb are both good.

I expect the wave of GRRM imitators to continue until the show ends, then some TV network or another to adapt Way of Kings, causing a bunch of Sanderson imitators to spring into existence, and the entire genre to devolve to the point it becomes indistinguishable from the Japanese Light Novel market.

Hey recognize that space station, it is from Privateer

Karsa. MOTHERFUCKING. ORLONG

Has there ever been a more based character?

I am not If you haven't noticed I read a lot of female authors.

I like your room cosmere-kun :3

Hey "Roman economy was not dependant on the slave trade, unless you consider plebs to be slaves."-user.
I now know anyone who autisticly defends Hobb is you. Just outed yourself.

Is there such a thing as nautical scifi?

Only example I can think of is Katya's war

whipped this one up fresh

Rifters trilogy, by Peter Watts. First one is the only real nautical one though.

And by this i mean it would be an insult to sanderson. Rothfuss is fucking awful and ive read the books. Holy shit his characters make zero fucking sense and there is no coherent plot or story.

>reading about an author's bio before reading the work
>letting the fucking author's life influence how you approach their work
I see you backward hobby has caught up to you.

Ehhh... there's a fair bit of sailing in Consider Phlebas.
I thought of Mieville's The Scar too but that's not really sci fi I guess.