>mfw Judges

Other urls found in this thread:

biblehub.com/ezekiel/16-49.htm
twitter.com/AnonBabble

It's actually satire, but everyone took it seriously

*tips fedora*

Your face becomes the bible?

What the fuck?

I feel you OP, I wouldnt call it "silly" but I'm on 2 Chronicles myself, quite a slog. Still interesting, I think its simply driving the point home, that we keep losing faith and fucking ourselves by it.

It's the main stream meteor

>Reading Deuteronomy
>It's just repeating the rest of the Pentateuch
This book is a load of bullshit

I just mean that its absurd. Saul wants to make a coat out of philistine foreskins? Samson relents and tells Delilah his weakness after she betrays him several times based on his lies? He tells a riddle based on a personal event nobody could have known of? God tells him to kill 30 philistines to pay off his gambling debts? The new testament is mint but so much of the old testament either makes God look petty or its just a silly non sequitur or its brutal as heck. Makes me want to toss the whole thing and take up the occult and start getting some real answers.

The Old Testament comes out of a very old oral tradition. Look up Orality and Literacy by Ong and you will begin to understand that the Old Testament God makes a lot of sense from the perspective of an illiterate culture and their ways of thought. The switch between Old Testament and New Testament is a switch between illiterate and barely literate cultures to a culture wherein writing is fully naturalized and abstract thought can fully develop.
>The new testament is mint
Are you forgetting the parts where the apostles instantly go against the teachings of Christ and Peter kills two people because they would give the church all their money? Or the fact that Paul, a Pharisee, is considered the greatest authority on Christ because only he saw him in a desert after Christ's ascension?

I just can't get past Leviticus, shit sucks

>Abraham gives his sister (wife) to the Pharaoh.
>Gets cattle and servants in exchange.
>Misfortune falls over the egyptian lord.
>"Fuck you, Abe. Just take the bitch and go".
And the lucky motherfucker gets away with that.

Should I read KJV for the literary value/impact or one of the more modern translations?

>tfw God will never send an angel to be your wingman

>2012+5
>mfw people still don't know what >mfw means

KJV
any other opinion is contrarianism desu

>flee Sodom which is being overthrown by God's angels for the deviant sexuality of its people, which god hates

>shortly thereafter engage in deviant sexuality with your own daughters

does the Bible ever explicitly state why Sodom and Gomorrah were on the chopping block?

God has a hard on for the homeless.

biblehub.com/ezekiel/16-49.htm

those cads!

>he's never heard of mfw I have no face

They all came around Lot's lot with the intention of "welcoming" the angels god sent. They probably wanted to gangrape them. Lot is such a wise and virtuous man that he offers his daughters to the crowd instead.

>tfw started reading the Bible in order to understand literary references
>aside from boring books such as Leviticus and Chronicles, the books are among the best I have ever read
Really amazing stuff, actually. After finishing the Old Testament I felt inclined to reread Job, Ecclesiastes, Psalms, and Jonah.

If you get KJ get apocrypha included as it cuts some important books

faith = the belief in something without evidence.

Have fun with that

>new testament is mint

To be fair it was mostly the Saducees who were starting shit.

And he does it twice!

>abandon the covenant
>your world crumbles around you

>not all the evidence we need

Just as you can't use unfalsifiable concepts to predict falsifiable results, you can't expect our methods of dealing with falsifiable concepts to work on unfalsifiable ones

Both fields of study are important but can't mingle all that much.

Is/ought, friend

shitty dead sea scroll fanfic

everyone knows gnostics were the OGs, catholicism was a mistake

Seeing this picture always makes me lose whatever respect I've built up for Hitchens since the last time I saw it. He's trying to look just like Camus, but of course he can't. Didn't he realize this was going to be the most tryhard, pseud thing he could possibly do? It just makes you realize what a total pseud Hitchens was for his entire career.

He didn't even know what he was doing. Just look at him. That's the look of a man with no recollection of any of it the next day.

I read it like an epic. Like the Shahnammeh.

The Laws are pretty boring but it's a nice Origin Epic.

That is the Old testament I'm talking about.