What's the point of becomming a writer if you can't compete with the western cannon and most people today watch TV...

What's the point of becomming a writer if you can't compete with the western cannon and most people today watch TV, films or play games rather than read?

Anyone else feel the same, knowing that you were born too late?

Wow, you said cannon. That's really funny. Another great and hysterical frog thread

You may have been born too late, but if you were born over a hundred years ago chances are you'd just be an illiterate farmer or some shit who would never write anything.

Don't think about audience, think about writing something good that could be published, and go from there.

Totally right dude. Because there's no working writers anymore. None whatsoever.

>if you cannot compete with the canon

This is the first step, user. Now you find the fault through a creative misreading and then transcend it
>inb4 bloomface

>What's the point of becomming a writer if you can't compete with the western cannon and most people today watch TV, films or play games rather than read?

An overwhelming majority of influential thinkers/artists/authors/inventors were barely acknowledged in their lifetime.

I dunno if that helps of hinders, but know that one day your toil may be recognised.

How to be successful writer:

Live as a complete degenerate and have offspring with business smarts who find your old books and market them after you've died.

the point of becoming writers is seeing if we can compete with the canon.

great writers don't give a shit if they're included in the canon or not, they just write the stories they want to tell

you
are
not
a
writer... give up

I literally don't know either
I've been always a really emotionally troubeled person, recently diagnosed as bipolar, and I've always been interested in art
I get that the point of art is to express emotions among other things, but I don't really see the necesity, I don't think there can ever be true communication, I don't understand how writing a story would help me or others in any way, there are already a lot of really good books
I don't get what you mean by "compete" tho, is not like this is some kind of sport
The only thing similar to "artistic expression" in which I engage is sitting for half an hour or so playing guitar, making up chord progessions or playing stuff by others
Why would someone write a book is beyond my understanding, maybe that means I'm a simpleton or something like that, but regardless, I'm happy that talented people have writen books because I really enjoy reading them

No, weak brainlet pussy.

Everything smelled and people had horrible hygiene back then, though.

to lay the foundations for the future

>if you can't compete with the western cannon

Just watch me.

What is then point to create idea if you are the only one to observe? Think. Individuals appear to feel the requirement of extra-gratification: you do not feel fulfilled in that you have created, seeking an external source of gratification to undergo satisfaction in wholly.

Why?

And, to continue: why must an individual create art? Is the art created as a means to extraneously provide a source of (superficial) income to survive off?
Artistic merit: an endeavour towards profit [self-preservation] or towards emotional gratification?

You'll have made a (minuscule) personal contribution to culture and it'll be part of the corpus of civilization. Some people find that profound, satisfying, or empowering.

i like lit because it's the only board that actively derides frogposters. soon they'll be what smug anime girls are now

bump

Why even give a shit OP?

Making money.

do your duty, don't chase the booty.

>i enjoy reading books
>but why would anyone write them
nigga you serious

>that could be published
how am I gonna make genre fiction or a romance novel good?