Do you have a degree in literature? Why? Why not?

I don't have one because I didn't enroll for one, but I dropped out of university anyways

No.

I did not enjoy literature when I was a student. I was a STEM turbo autist.

I don't need one to write.

What were you studying before you dropped out?

Yes. I majored in English (Rhetoric & Composition) and minored in Philosophy.

I wasn't studying anything, I just dropped out.

No, I don't want to be poor.

No, because I don´t thik it´s necessary for being a good writer/reader; I had an English teacher who made us read divergent, ugh

No, college is a scam.

Stop watching Stefan videos, it´s not good for your health

Yes. And in early European history. German minor. Grad in English too but balked on thesis. Lost interest, rather. Had and still have a good (non-teaching) job.

You can teach if you want to, right?

I'm an English major in my final year. In my family it's expected that you have at least an undergraduate education, in whatever you choose.

In my experience the quality of the education varies considerably depending on the professor.

Philosophy, took some Lit courses too
Once I learned that going into teaching/academia wasn't for me, my enthusiasm and motivation vanished, and quickly

Majoring in lit is gay.

My BA is in Applied Linguistics, minor in English lit.

I did it for fun, becuase I'm rich.

I never watched that particular one.

No, because I don't need to spend thousands going to uni to reak a few books

This. Don't fall for the stem meme, kids.

No. I studied History.

I'm two years at most from getting mine. Feel indifferent, but I've learned a lot.

I have a Bachelor of Arts in Great Books. Currently getting an MA in English Lit. Probably going to teach when I'm done, but what I really want to do is make a living as a writer. I've had a few short stories published already.

Went to med school instead but I'm still open to that idea.

No. I didn't read much fiction as a teen so I ended up studying philosophy. I'm currently looking at taking an MA in Cultural Studies or something.

No, it's a waste of money. If you must get a degree, get something practical like STEM. There is nothing preventing you from studying literature in your own time. Only retards need to be spoonfed books.

This, I think it's worth reading literature whilst you're at uni if your course and lifestyle isn't too demanding to make room for it.

Do either of you know the amount of time and dedication it takes to major in stem?

Only retards need to be spoonfed Math.

No, I chose my degree for 'pragmatic' reasons. If I had my time again I'd do Eng Lit and try to make a career as an academic.

I majored in 'Applied Literature' at my community college because the 'applied' made it sound like I could actually get a job from it. I dropped out after the first semester because my professor (whom I discovered only had a bachelor's degree in Literature from the same community college) revealed that not one alumnus of the course had found a job (it was a fairly new course), and actually mocked us, telling us that we'd end up working for Subway.

I'll presume you're young/have little to know experience so I'll be kind. Think of this, if the arts and humanities are easy and you can just take a book home and get the same experience you would at University, why is there no important work being done by amateurs? Because its hard.

What is applied literature? Reading various technical manuals?

>arts and humanities
>important work

wew lad

No I joined the Marines straight out of high school

now I do Orwell-tier jobs while writing short stories

>People cant be interested in different stuff
You ideological shithead. What's a fascist like you even doing on a literature board?

Currently getting.

STEM is for autists, it's boring as shit, and nobody wants to fuck a desk jockey engineer.

Got a degree in English and Philosophy. Originally planned on getting a PhD in English. Currently in a PhD program for Philosophy.

Is majoring in a psychology related subject a good idea?

Yes, but wanted to avoid it. Never felt the call..

do you like it?

In the US? Are you doing analytic work, continental, other...?

>important
>anything

oh my

What about writers that never studied English at the college level?

The implication wasn't that people can't be interested in different things, but that some of those things aren't important. I like literature. But it isn't important. Besides, many famous authors had day jobs.

How you inferred some political ideology from this is a mystery to me.

You cant contribute to literature or its study without studying it intensely, regardless of the building you studied it in.

Yes. I'm interested in everything from psychoanalytic thought to actual scientific studies in psychology. I just don't know if I will find employment.

yes, in the US
both and neither, I guess
the department is definitely analytic, but my advisor is a Heidegger scholar
I largely avoid contemporary analytic philosophy at this point, and my stuff tends to combine the thinking of folks like Heidegger, Wittgenstein, and Quine (the general theme being anti-transcendental philosophy)
they give us a lot of latitude

I believe it's fine IF you obtain at least a masters or the equivalent.

That said don't take advice from a pre-Columbian effigy mound posting site.

and most English majors have never studied it intensely

Sounds pretty comfy. Are guys like rorty respected in the academy?

I don't have one and I decided against it. Everybody with a degree in literature, I could consider educated was in their late 60th or above. I don't think, that a modern day curriculum in philosophy or literature is something, which enables its students to actualy get a deeper understanding of those cultural artifacts and treasuries we have or let alone give them a small hint how to produce them. Maybe ten or fiftheen high end phd programms are somewhat accetable, but the rest is of little to no value.

I'd say yeah
he's obviously a giant in the discipline and any defense of transcendental philosophy has to take his criticisms into account
of course almost everyone working in philosophy disagrees with him, so he doesn't get too much play nowadays

>the department is definitely analytic, but my advisor is a Heidegger scholar

why do all anglos insist on lying and saying that their departments are analytic when everyone just studies kant, hegel and the existentialists? Does all the funding get cut if you admit your department is for all practical purposes continental?

Currently writing my bachelors, so soon.

Mark Twain.

like 95% of the department falls squarely within the analytic tradition in their concerns and methodology, even the history of philosophy people
this one Heidegger guy is an exception
nobody teaches Hegel and we just lost the only historically minded Kant scholar we had

most anglo philosophy people say their departments are analytic because most of them are overwhelmingly analytic

> I just don't know if I will find employment.

Unemployment sucks ass for everyone. Going to stem would give you a 3% extra chance at employment at the most.

Also, I mean...people are always gonna be fucked up. The well of psychology will never run dry, my friend. Robots will be doing most of our jobs within the century anyways so w/e.