Lol dude listen to me being miserable for 700 pages

>lol dude listen to me being miserable for 700 pages

out of curiosity, why does everyone have this book? i randomly picked it up recently, but apparently im not alone since its on everyone here's bookshelf. does the title just appeal to our demographic?

(i put it down because i cant stand another moaning frenchman novel, read enough Sartre for that.)

Because many people think it is a good book

because being a cynical manchild who whines about sex and society is the ultimate goal of all the basement dwellers populating Veeky Forums.

lol dude imagine being traumatized what a crybaby lmao xDDDD

>reading books

Seriously who does this

>cynical manchild who whines about sex and society
he fought i wwi, cut him some slack

A mostly forgettable plot happening in interesting scenarios. There's some beautiful passages and sparks of brilliance. Sometimes he reminds me of a watered down Bolaño.

IDK apparently there's a lot of untranslatable slang so maybe it suffers in translation. Still, I read it in Spanish so it should be more faithful to the original than English translations.

Less Reddit Catch 22

Anyone who uses reddit as an adjective is a redditor trying to distance themselves from the site

Celine threads are just good at proving how untranslatable he is. Simply comparing him to Bolano is insulting Celine.

Don't you ever compare Céline with a piece of shit like Sartre again! You ignorant little fuck.

Nausea is a better version of this book.

Confirmed for not reading french.

Yikes!

>y-you have to read it in the original french, y-you baka merde!!

Céline is untranslatable. Just get that through your head... let it sink...

He's not untranslatable... I've read him in french and in english. Both are good....

In a way his misery is necessary but I can understand people being fed up with him and thinking he's a hack with relatively nothing to say... He sort of thinks everyone is entitled to hear his complaints...

I'm not convinced his anti-semitic pamphlets aren't an elaborate prank... They're just so over the top it seems caricatural... I dunno.... And he made fun of his father in Mort a credit for thinking there's a conspiracy of freemasons and Jews out to get him... and that was just one year before he started writing his pamphlets...

That said, he's no Bloy...

There's nothing wrong with reading translations, but before you criticize a foreign book you have to remember that you didn't read the original. It's like listening to a band live and then saying their studio work sucks.

antilogocentrism is a spook

Not that guy, is Nord worth reading? It's guys like Henri Guillemin that make me reconsider Celine. He reads him well. I probably wouldn't have read him otherwise.

I still find it hilarious that the Nazis didn't use him for propaganda because they found the stuff he was coming out with too extreme.

That's what I mean...Although I've only read snippets of his pamphlets...if he was truly anti-semitic... I think he was also mocking himself...

So...is Nord good?...Why the fuck does he call it that when he's clearly going east...

Also...what's with his meme...that all his troubles came from Journey and not his pamphlets?...that's a fucking joke, right?...what a weirdo...

>you need to relate with a character in order to like a book

Do you even read?

Go and be pleb and Reddit somewhere else. Like preferably Reddit.

Holy... I want more...

He said that people never forgave him...for Journey...and it wasn't really the pamphlets that were the problem...he told this to his fucking lawyer even...

He said he would burn all of his works if he could...they brought him nothing but problems...I guess he was right...he shouldn't have been born...the nerve of this shitass...

I... don't... understand... your... accent...

It's a gimmick...what...he said so himself...

Celine never wiped his ass properly...

I read this a month ago and I already completely forgot everything about it.

Forgettable, dull, I didn't even find it depressing to the least and I don't understand how anybody can find it so. I'm almost tempted to say Nausea was better, at least there is one single noteworthy passage there.

I mostly don't understand how it can be on so many lists on Veeky Forums, if you want to read 400 pages of beautifully written passages that are somewhat melancholic read the book of disquiet.

>Obviously Alcide was perfectly at ease, at home so to speak, in the higher regions, on terms of familiarity with the angels. You wouldn't have known it to look at him. With hardly a thought of what he was doing, he had consented to years of torture, to the crushing of his life in this torrid monotony for the sake of a little girl to whom he was vaguely related. Motivated by nothing but his good heart, he had set no conditions and asked nothing in return. To that little girl far away he was giving enough tenderness to make this whole world over, and he never showed it.
>Suddenly he fell asleep in the candlelight. After awhile I got up to look at his face. He slept like everybody else. He looked quite ordinary. There ought to be some mark by which to distinguish good people from bad.

But yeah, you guys are right, it's actually just nothing but miserable bitching about sex. "Hurr why didn't it even depress me???"

yeah...when Celine 'clicked' for me...I realized how much he cared...

what does the greentext says ?

........................................Stop...............................................Typing......................................................Like.........................................................................This you fucking faggot

At least learn how to use ellipses correctly.
It's space, period-period-period, space.

Évidemment Alcide évoluait dans le sublime à son aise et pour ainsi dire familièrement, il tutoyait les anges, ce garçon, et il n’avait l’air de rien. Il avait offert sans presque s’en douter à une petite fille vaguement parente des années de torture, l’annihilement de sa pauvre vie dans cette monotonie torride, sans conditions, sans marchandage, sans intérêt que celui de son bon coeur.

Il offrait à cette petite fille lointaine assez de tendresse pour refaire un monde entier et cela ne se voyait pas.

Il s’endormit d’un coup, à la lueur de la bougie. Je finis par me relever pour bien regarder ses traits à la lumière. Il dormait comme tout le monde. Il avait l’air bien ordinaire.

Ça serait pourtant pas si bête s’il y avait quelque chose pour distinguer les bons des méchants.

What do you mean? They're writing normally!... Are you incapable of reading... What's wrong with what they've said?

... cuck ... desu-nee senpai...