E-readers

Gonna buy e-reader tomorrow from a local shop.

These are the ones available: Amazon Kindle PaperWhite 2015, Kobo Aura 2nd Ed, Kobo Aura H20, Kobo Aura One, Amazon Kindle PaperWhite,

I was thinking of picking the largest, Aura One, but does Veeky Forums have any recommendations out of these?

Avoid Kindle like the plague. The size doesn't matter, unless you plan on reading something like manga with it, in which case definitely get the biggest one you can find. Otherwise it's just preference.

I saw my friend using Kindle and it looked v. small but I guess I will see in the shop tomorrow.

I just enjoy having lots of text in one page when I read. Weird preference, but makes it easier to read the text since you can scroll back and forth without turning pages..

>Avoid Kindle like the plague.
Why?

but mummy i like my kindle 5 touch i have been reading in the shed for 4-6 hours every day

Got a kindle to read all my pirated books but I sit in front of a screen all day at work so after a couple months I went back to buying dead tree books. So I would say consider your eyes and lifestyle as well as the size and price.

you didn't have an e ink kindle then lol idiot

A kindle isn't any more harmful to your eyes than regular books.

I got a kindle paper white 2015 about 2 months ago. I do not know if its placebo or not, but I definitely feel that ive read more. And if i havent read more i have definitely read more of what i really want.

I find the kindle's feature of being able to email a file to it very convenient. You might need calibre to convert from .epub to .mobi but that does not seem like such a waste of time considering youre saving 10 bucks every book you convert.

All in all i do not regret buying it.

I took the kindle paperwhite. Much better than the first priced one that I also have. I read a lot with them. Since I'm gonna move a lot, I giving or throwing all my ordinary books. So yeah. Pick the paperwhite.

I have an aura one. The firmware upgrades have really improved the initial experience and I now prefer it to my paperwhite. The one thing I hate about it is the dictionary, the one in the kindle is far superior.

Get the largest possible. It makes reading pdf's a possibility. Anything kindle size is too small for them.

this was what I figured too, having never tested any of them (yet).

good to hear

I have the original H2O. It's great. The Aura One looks too big - the H2O is already bigger than any Kindle. I've also owned a Voyage.

Basically, the Amazon store, UI and customer service is better, but on the other hand Kobo has a couple of waterproof models which was the main selling point to me. If you pirate or just don't like Amazon, it makes more sense to go for the Kobo. If you still pay for books, the Kindle store is easier to navigate, often has better prices and makes it easy to get refunds.

Also worth noting that Amazon will probably introduce a new or updated Kindle very soon, whereas Kobo just finished releasing their full new range. There's not much left to do with the hardware, so I'm guessing Amazon is going to introduce a waterproof model too. If you're getting one tomorrow, a Kobo is more futureproof.

Maybe they add colors to the screen.

>If you pirate or just don't like Amazon, it makes more sense to go for the Kobo
but you can sideload books to either one?

I have a paperwhite that I keep at work and an aura one for home. If you get the aura one, because of the headers and footers, you only get about as much screen real estate as a kindle, but you can edit a file on the device to remove them. I'd suggest installing koreader on it instead of using the kobo software.

>comic sans font
jesus christ user

How big of a pain in the butt is it to install new fonts

On the kobo you put the fonts in a folder called fonts in the root directory and it just werks.

Noice,ty.

I'm pretty sure you need properly named regular and italic fonts, or program will just skew regular font for italic formatting. Normally you only need to do that for serifs, sans tend to look the same ether way.

Yes, you can sideload to both, but Kobo accepts more formats out of the box. But more to the point, if you take the store out of the equation, there's no real advantage to the Kindle. Kobo devices are cheaper and the higher end models are waterproof.

I think what you're talking about is for the advanced font options. It's not necessary but it is kinda nice. I tend to stick to Bookerly since I'm so used to it.

>cheaper
b-but what about my poorfag refurbished kindle 5 touch for £59.99, don't tell me I could've gotten a second hand kobo for less

>but Kobo accepts more formats out of the box

You should be using Calibre to manage your books, then this stuff becomes a complete non issue.

Converting formats is only a minor issue, I agree. I'm just saying if you aren't actually buying books, there's no advantage to a Kindle over its Kobo equivalent, whereas user could choose a Kobo if saving money, being waterproof or having a bigger screen is of interest.

>original H2O. It's great.
This, I love mine. I thought it'd be too small for manga on the rare occasion I read one, but it's just fine.

Definitely don't get the newer one. OP, unless you like charging things every couple days.

Get one with back lit, very necessary indeed. I know the Kindle PaperWhite 2015 has it (i own one, and i love it). It´s very small tho, but that´s never been an problem

Are there readers that can comfortably read .PDF files? I suppose I just to get one with a big screen since the words are always too small on a 6 inch screen. I can zoom in with my Kindle but it becomes a pain in the ass to navigate.

mess around with k2pdfopt

There's a program called briss that you'd probably like. It semi-automatically crops pdfs. I have the aura one and installed koreader and it's fucking amazing but even in the kindle briss makes a lot of books much easier to read.

I think I'm going with the kindle paper white, e ink is just too big of a deal

Kobo uses E ink too.

you can type Convert in the subject of the email and it will send a converted azw3 file

What about the ppi difference? Kindle is at 300 vs 212 ppi for the Kobo
Is there a source on the new kindle?

What the fuck is wrong with you

I honestly don't see what's so bad about CS. Yeah it's not my preferred font, but there are much worse out there.

No substitute for real books. Kindles hurt my eyes too.

bbbbut user how will you decorate your bookshelf to let people know you are Veeky Forums ?

Throw your reader on one of these bad boys. Preferably placed on you mantle or similarly visible location.

And make sure the screen saver is my diary desu

>not using e ink

Why even go kindle?

Nah, even Wingdings is better

the Aure one has worse battery than H20?

With the stock software it's kinda fucky. The cover doesn't always put it to sleep and it seems to drain fast anyway. With koreader I probably charge it once every two weeks after several hours of daily use.

Mate I'm getting an e-reader so I don't have to read from my phoen that I have to download, I am not exaggareting, every 4-5th hour, lel.

>have to download
how the fuck did I substitute download for charging...

I have the Paperwhite, quite like it too, Don't know about the others but:
>PDFs look kinda like ass (but if they're just text, converting them to kindle format looks fine)
>doesn't support all formats, but you can use calibre to convert literally everything to work on it so that's fine.
>If you're a mangafag that works too, but you have to fiddle a bit with "kindle comic converter" or some such to make it work. If the Manga has crazy small text you will hardly be able to read it but I've only run into that particular problem once I think.
Other than that, the text on the paperwhite is very crisp and I don't really have any complaints about it at all. If you can try to get maybe a leather cover for the thing, gives it a very nice feel but I had trouble finding one made from real leather.

How does manga work on Kobo? Is it just okay to put images (named sequentically) in there or does it actually read .cbr or .cbz

Wonder when will they make one with colors for comics?

This might be the first time I might get to read Berserk if reading manga isnt too much of a hassle with it, lol

Don't know, as I said I've only have experience with the original kindle and the Paperwhite. Original kindle struggled, Paperwhite works quite well with it but it does drain the battery a lot faster than normal books, (you still get trough a lot, but it is noticeably shorter).
I _heard_ the kobo has a somewhat lower ppi which I'd image takes from the experience a bit.

Is there a way to change the original storage in the readers? Flash mem/SD card whatever they use.. got a 64gb SD card lying without use

I love my Kindle, backlight is awesome, dictionary is awesome, notes and vocabulary builder are awesome.

I like that it fits in my back pocket when I go to get lunch on break from work, don't have to carry it around.

I don't have any experience with other e readers as this is my first but it's been a game changer for ease of reading, especially large books.

I'll be missing out on collecting books, but I'm going be living abroad for the followings years.. one thing I like about books are their own unique typefaces and how the pages overall look unique from book to book.

Will be missing out that a lot.

Where do you pirate your books from, user? I'm looking to get into reading, mostly books regarding faith, Christianity, etc.

Piracy is fucking crime stop it you fag

And there's nothing you can do about it, faggot.

>does it actually read .cbr or .cbz
yes

brb off to shop get aura one hope I don't get swindled

>mostly books regarding faith, Christianity, etc.
>pirating
oh the irony

wut

Damn, sounds useful as hell. Thanks user.

I recently bought a refurbished Kindle 5 for 50 dollars. I am pretty happy with it. It has duokan software in it which I think is better than kindle software.
AMA

What does koreader do that the standard software doesn't? I'm intrigued.

it's generally faster and has a built-in crop function

w2c that screensaber

Use bookzz.org
Kindle uses mobi format

Oooh, very nice, thanks.

Implying Christianity is morally immaculate

E-ink doesn't emit light. They're no different to reading a normal book.

Aura One has 300ppi. They dropped the prices on current Kindle models which they usually do before a new release.

dunno about 212, but the 260 or whatever is on t he h2o is just fine. can't even really tell a difference next to a kindle.

Been playing it for a few hours. It will do, but they seriously need to amp up PPI/resolution

That would defeat the point of having a kindle

botnet

I have the Aura One. Order it off Chapters.ca and due to exchange rates, you'll get it shipped to the US for like $215 total.

The screen is nice, but the built-in software is weak. It by default puts page numbers overlapping the text, so you have to remove that in the settings. The search feature is awkward and the PDF feature is weak since if you zoom and reposition the page, it doesn't keep that positioning when you switch pages. I also don't see any bookmarks feature.

Still, the screen is large enough to read most PDFs comfortably with just leaving the pages as they are. Large technical books are still difficult but I haven't tried KOReader yet, so that may fix these.

>pdfs
>on ereaders
Fucking idiot

How fucked are the PDF to EPUB/MOBI conversions? I have a few PDFs but the Aura One really doesn't like them.

of course I will test this on my own tomorrow but if anyone has any tips and tricks to make sure the conversion doesn't fuck up anythin I'd appreciate it.

Koreader makes pdfs a lot better. Definitely with the little bit of fucking around with and learning.

It's far from ideal, but I spend most of the day staring at a computer screen and it's nice to have another option without printing a million pages.