Does Veeky Forums hate sushi?

Do you like raw fish wish some rice and some soy sauce?
I personally love sushi, I wouldn't make it at home but I do go out on occasion and spend $30 for that sashimi and nigiri meal.

No

I do like it, but over time I've come to not like Salmon sushi as much.

Butterfish and tuna are my go-to's

only eat sushi if it's comped

Eating sushi out is only an option with the extremely posh places. Anything less than that and you're better off making it yourself if you don't want to eat oversugary shite.

This is a cooking board. Cook.

Veeky Forums hates anything Japanese. Liking anything Japanese makes you a weeaboo.

i have tried raw fish many times. Honestly it has no fucking flavor. i really dont get it.

I love it cause im not a tacofag

SUSHI. NICE AND COMPED

Went to a higher end sushi buffet here in Chicago this Monday and it was phenomenal. I usually dont spend too much money on one meal but it was a special occasion since I finished the marathon that morning.

I really enjoyed the barbecue freshwater eel, salmon, calamari, and tuna. They also had fried calamari and crab ragoons. It was presented really elegantly and I'd bring a date there if she was something special.

It was $25 plus tip, and I have nothing to complain about.

Are you actually from wichita?

Oddly, cooked fish, with the exception of fresh stuff I literally caught twenty minutes prior, makes me feel ill. My wife, at the time we were dating, liked sushi, and took every opportunity to stuff it down my throat, and over time I've acclimated to it.

I actually quite like sushi, though it still makes me feel ill if I eat too much of it. I'd like to learn to make it myself, but I'm wary of buying fish that's not fresh enough, among other issues.

Had some really good sushi when I was in Japan. Fucking love it

>This is a cooking board. Cook.
you don't cook sushi

I worked at the best sushi restaurant in my town for five years. I fucking love it, but don't really get the people who make it out to be nectar of the gods.They are just as annoying as the coffee and bacon worshippers.

Went to Korea this past Summer and had tons,of raw fish. Not quite sushi, usually more like Sashimi, but still really tasty. Would recommend!

tasty nom nom nom

>you don't cook sushi
Lol.
Sushi, by definition, refers to the vinegared rice which is used to prepare it. That most certainly is cooked. Some of the toppings are raw, but many of those are cooked as well. Eel, octopus, egg, etc, are all cooked toppings.

t. brainlet

Sushi isn't that bad. But sushi people are pretentious faggots generally.

What was the name?
Am also a fellow Shitcagoan

Same here. Really interested

Sushi Taku, in Wicker Park.
The place is among the best I've had for the price.

You are backed into a corner and your dumbass brains can't even form a sentence. Get fucked.

I thought sushi directly translates to fish.

fish is sakana
>t. google translate
Sushi means the rice + other ingredient. Nigiri is specifically rice and raw fish

I hate fish, and by extension sushi. Also pretty much all Japanese food.

I love seafood, so I love sushi

I'll back Sushi Taku. Best AYCE sushi in Chicago that I've had.

Sushi is unironically my favorite food. It's so incredibly good.

yeah. new york roll is my favorite

If I am not mistaken sushi would literally translate to something like "vinegar arts". Which I suppose would refer to the way the rice is mixed with vinegar.

Whats the best vinegar and sugar to rice ratio for sushi rice? I feel like my rice is always too vinegar-y

By all of your logic, making sandwiches isn't cooking either.

>some soy sauce?
I don't go to garbage establishments so no

>mfw relatives don't like sushi because "hurr it's slimy"

$25 and tip seems like a bargain for higher-end sushi.

lel

You might be right. The vinegar probably acts as a mild disinfectant. Because that ball of rice is rolling around in all that yummy bacteria on the chef's hands, prep surface, etc. and into the customer's mouth.

>rolls on menu
Easiest way to tell that a sushi place isn't worth eating at

How do I make my own sushi

just buy some fish and don't cook it

>menu
Easiest way to tell that a sushi place isn't worth eating at

One of mygreat uncles , in his raspy Persian accent, once told his wife and the other ladies at their place "there's two foods we don't need you trying to make: sushi and pizza"

So yeah, don't make it. Go out and get it

it's complex and user is closest to right.
the pronunciation "sushi" is native Japanese, Yamato in the way that we have Anglo-Saxon "pig" and "cow" as opposed to "pork" and "beef", for dishes prepared with vinegared or lactobacillus-fermented rice and predates any recorded writing.
one way later adapted to write it is 寿司, which is a meaningless ateji only picking homonyms with a positive meaning. it would literally translate as something like "congratulations bureaucrat".
another way is 鮨, which is an old Chinese writing for a similar Chinese dish that works out as something like "fish, pronounced like zhi or qi, implication of 'tasty'".
a third way is 鮓, which originally was Chinese for "fish, pronounced like zha, implication of 'processed", but by the Shiming dictionary around 200 AD had simply come to mean "preserved rice". it's unsure whether this writing is a mistake for the previous one which was later readopted in Chinese, or whether it was a direct borrowing of that term.
etymologies which attempt to equate the su to 酢, often as a contracted sumeshi, are both unattested and not particularly plausible. the vinegared form didn't gain prominence until several hundred years after sushi became popular, and chefs draw a clear distinction between sumeshi the ingredient and sushi the dish.

that said, it's also accurate to say that average modern Japanese speakers don't think about any of this and just understand it as "vinegared rice dish." so "it's literally vinegared rice" is wrong in the same kind of way as "beef comes from cows" is.

This

i live in vancouver and i eat sushi about once a week. you get get very solid quality sushi for so incredibly low prices it's phenomenal.

what are you thoughts on california rolls Veeky Forums? i used to hate them, but they come in a lot of roll combos, and eating a lot of those, i've warmed to them in recent years. yes, im referring to the fake-crab ones, the real crab are actually pretty good.

damn you owned him

If the fish smells, don't buy it for sushi. Sushi fish should have no smell to it. Also buy fish from a local trusted butcher or store.