Discuss

Discuss.

Disgusting how women, blacks, and gays wanted rights all of a sudden.

>first half of that timeline probably represents 500 times less books than the second half
Wonderful sample

>doesn't know the difference between less and fewer

how about you explain what the fuck the this chart means first.

It means capitalism and liberal democracy is a cancer

The appearance of words in all the books cataloged in Google by year. Since 1950 books talk increasingly more about rights of man and increasingly less about duties of man.

Interesting but ultimately meaningless when the context of each use cannot be known.

>Doesn't use punctuation, doesn't start a sentence with a capital letter.

>comma splice run-on sentence

Stylistic rather than grammatical correction, try again.

I hope your parents tried again.

Well, in my case they at least tried.

hell yea dude I read Starship Troopers too lmao

Whoa, it's almost as if something very important happened in the early 1900s, to make people question these ideas. What might that be?

whose rod dreher here

Entitlement is the future, man grows ever more abstracted from god and nature.

I've heard that in the States, welfare is referred to as an "entitlement program."

Dunno, its almost as if the very foundation of pre-20th century society destroyed itself through war or something

Fascinating.

Is duty's decline a product of nihilistic thought brought through the rise of existentialism and the bleak reality of the World Wars?

There seems a correlation in time.

Did the decline of the Christian view to suffering give rise to the demand for things which are ours by "right?"

I suspect the answer is 'yes,' on both counts, but I am not a historian.

I also suspect the increasingly transient nature of societal modes of living engendered an uptake in self-oriented worldviews - as the self is an immutable architectural feature of an otherwise ephemeral world.

Similarly, the increasingly globalist nature of society and theology is an erosive force against human social barriers like nations, religion, and capital. As familiarity with the "other" increases, the desire to make the unknown known likewise increases.

I suspect this trend jeopardizes the prominence of duty to all things; the further removed from the subject, the more jeopardized the abstraction.

However, "self" remains an, as yet, immutable social barrier. Still, even the desire for its dissolution became more evident along this timeline. Whitman's "Leaves of Grass," appears shortly after the cresting of duty's prominence takes place.

Fascinating - and now we are on the cusp of stabilization or destabilization.

What fresh wind catches the sails?

It's funny, we have a tendency to focus on the middle of the 20th century as the most important time in all history, when objectively--as shown in this chart-- the 19th century was far more interesting.

Yes, I'd have to agree that it was very interesting.

It seems man largely thought in even terms on his duties or rights for most of the 19th century.

In one chart we have the adolescent struggles of the West as it wavers between Individualism and Nationalism (or any other group-oriented 'ism.').

I say adolescence, but I do not mean it in the sense of a singular event. Rather, Man is cyclically born and reborn in a variety of ways, and is eternally adolescent.

This illustrates one adolescence in particular.

One which is still underway, I surmise.