Why is STEM bashed so much here on Veeky Forums?

Why is STEM bashed so much here on Veeky Forums?

Great writer's such as Borges were heavily influenced by mathematics and science.

I don't understand.

Other urls found in this thread:

goodcall.com/news/law-school-graduates-find-tough-cash-new-degrees-07901
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Why are STEM fags so obsessed with status?

Because it isn't lit.

Patrician tier is Law. All other fields are a tier below.

List some canon authors who were attorneys.

Even medicine is above law.

Kafka

goodcall.com/news/law-school-graduates-find-tough-cash-new-degrees-07901

>Law
>being this spooked

>writer's
STEMfag spotted

in all honesty, STEM is fairly respected here on Veeky Forums. literature is not confined to fiction, nor non-fiction. for example, a stemfag invented the printing presses we used to learn how to read and communicate massive amounts of information.

perhaps we have a little regret that Art has now been eclipsed in importance, but I imagine that is an enormous pendulum that must swing its rightful way. there will be another renaissance.

Marcus Tullius Cicero

>A stemfag invented the printing press that would later destroy handwriting and the prestige of printing in the first place.

you wouldn't have easy access to literature, you dolt. you wouldn't have anything to read, you'd be too poor to afford a handwritten novel, maybe one, just enough to learn how to read in the first place. yes, people learned to read. just not freely. the printing press was one of the most important human inventions in history, bar none.

Goethe

(pure) Mathematics is the most patrician field of study.

It was a fucking joke you stemfag

Oddly enough, it only ever seems to be bashed by STEM students. I find more beauty in mathematics than in any work of art.

well you're just not funny.

No need to be upset. I said it was a joke

but i need you to know that you're not funny, so you can address this problem. you might cause harm to yourself if you joke like this in public, people often aren't as kind as i.

i mean really, mocking the printing press, i ought to sock you in the god damn face and make sure you stay plastered.

Pure mathematics is for autists.
You guys don't even know what patrician is anymore.

Pioneering mathematicians and scientists are respected
People who make a living applying formulas and equations prescribed to them, are not.

Because several scientists have bashed philosophy and sometimes other humanities disciplines.

>Patrician tier is Law.

lol no

t. English major
pure maths is basically the glass bead game

Law is the true fruition of philosophy. It's pretty patrician.

>People who make a living applying formulas and equations prescribed to them, are not.

Which fields does he mean by this?

Babby engineers only

First computer science lecture
>if you don't study, you'll flunk this course and you'll either:
>drop out and become a bum or
>switch to a philosophy major and then become a bum

The whole class laughed and applauded.

JUST

You are all children

So civil engineers? Electrical, etc are hard as fuck.

I can probably find an article like this for every single profession or field of study.

what a goofy haircut.

I guess that's what they're called in English. Yes, those. They don't learn any advanced mathematics, they just learn how to crunch numbers in various ways because someone has to do that as well

Literally the only reason to study law is Decrepit imbeciles who are only interested in money and status. Worse than studying medicine or economics even. It's the same kind of people who buy classics in order to put them on their shelf, sometimes they even read them just to say that they have (obviously without understanding jack).

It's called a wig.

>wear a wig
>can have literally any design imaginable
>pick that goofy ass haircut
even sillier.

It's called fashion

>Worse than studying medicine

Medicine is far more patrician than law or economics

Yes, my point. A lot of medicine students, though far from all of them, are actually interested in the subjects.

>fashion
nonsense, it's goofy.
i don't see you wearing such a wig.

Well if it were 1684 you would

daily reminder philosophy is the only Veeky Forums major that can compete with stem

most patrician engineering branch is control engineering

oh, so you're defending their barbaric headclothes? next thing one knows, you'll be defending tolstoy's rapes since it was "a different time". You sir, are defending rape in the guise of goofy headgear, do what thou wilt shall not be the whole of the law if i have anything to do with it. no sir.

>tfw math and physics double major
>tfw at a mid tier school and not a top 10 so im still a brainlet

Oh yes you bet I am. The law and the style is such as it is defined at the time - or would you risk being persecuted for your present utterances by a future government much less kindly towards such shameful ridicule directed towards the inventor of the calculus?

if i am operating under moral systems that are inherently evil as established by those with access to a greater moral than myself, then i should hope to be punished accordingly, and preferably taught reason. if you would not make this sacrifice for true justice, you are without merit. besides, so much for calculus, that guy didn't even realize how fucking goofy he looked.

Ah, this inherent evil you speak of, tell me more about it. I am quite curious - how could one define something as absolutely or inherently evil? How would one know that we in this time are in the right, and not those of an earlier time, who might well consider us equally evil for widely rejecting certain moral imperatives of *theirs*? Were they simply simpleminded, those predecessors of ours, or is it that we have iteratively made our way to a higher level of enlightenment in this time of ours? You speak of those with access to a greater moral than yourself - but who are they, and why precisely is it greater?
Could it not be possible, hypothetically, that a civilisation be established this very year, in which the central values are those of magnificent wigs of the same style as that worn by Baron von Leibniz, and the calculus developed by the same? This society would, by making reference to their monadology, come to the very reasonable conclusion that theirs moral system is quite superior to any other moral systems - would it not then be correct for them to subject you, my friend, to punitive measures for your heretical words on this board at this time, ex post facto, by your very own standards?

it would not, as an absolute moral system would afford them a resistance to the susceptibility of wearing fucking goofy wigs.

check. mate.

I admit myself defeated, good sir, and shall henceforth refrain from defending goofy headwear.

a wise choice, one might appear silly to the said future punitive judicial systems, and then where would you be? regretful. luckily, being ultimately good, any acts they would commit would have nothing but benefit for your moral status. thankfully this is an inevitability, so sit tight and wait for the moral representatives to arrive with their pamphlets.

STEM gives people a very limited view on the world. It's a result of contemporary culture and politics influencing what people are taught. Industrialization of knowledge and learning.
>I want a nation of workers, not thinkers
In essence, we disagree with mr. Rockefeller. I have absolutely nothing but respect for the fields of study, however.

if you pursue a master's and get accepted to a top 10 all is forgiven
Are control systems not under electrical engineering?

>Are control systems not under electrical engineering?
it is, mostly due to the wide scope of electrical engineering, but also because it is just in newer times it has been singled out as a particular branch. fact is that control engineering could also be included under chemical or material engineering due to its applications.

it's also, in my opinion, the most math heavy engineering specializations, thus it's patrician status, not given merely because I choose to study it.

Quite reddit if I do say so myself

Your judgement is unwarranted. I do so hope you can understand how little of a shit I give.

STEM is bashed because it's assumed by some to come with an exclusive embracement of materialist/naturalist metaphysics and empiricism/positivism as epistemologies while refusing to engage with any other type of philosophy.

Now this is not true for all STEM fags interested in philosophy, but even if it were, those who sperg out at the thought of it could still have interesting discussions within those parameters, but always refuse to engage those branches of philosophy themselves.

It's the equivalent of someone sperging out at you for not liking the same candy bar as them. I would ignore such petifaggotry on both sides.

>STEM
servants of technological status quo

Why is philosophy and humanities bashed so much on Veeky Forums?
Both want to feel better about themselves, and since intelligence is a subject rather touchy for most people, an easy way to feel better about themselves without obvious self-deception (if the self-deception is obvious to the subject it would lose very much all its effect) is bashing people who don't do what they do.

This is bound to happen on all levels, but I would say that on an academic level humanities are slightly more respectul with sciences than sciences with humanities. Being respectful does not mean they lack of criticism - philosophy in particular has always been known for stepping on everyone's toes, but more than often the criticism holds a higher knowledge for the object of critique than when the critique comes frome scientists to humanities, philosophers in particular - most of them either don't pronounce in public, and those who do go on some truly idiotic commentary of the sort Bill Nye became famous for.

>Why is STEM bashed so much here on Veeky Forums?
because they think they can learn everything from the greeks and classics. organic chemistry changed my whole lifes philosophy