Ideas for a short story

I want to write something but I can't think of what to write. Any ideas?

write a story that reminds you of time your dad made you feel really small and embarrassed and try to find a way to incorporate stale food in some way

I didn't grow up with my dad so that's kinda hard to do.

Write a story about a suicidel homeless man that throws himself onto the subway tracks in the middle of the night only to find the mummified remains of a young boy clutching a wiffle ball. His life is forever changed.

Write about a sentient cherry tree and its observations throughout the years

Write about where you're from. My first stories were about a town like the one I grew up in. I tended to use some great upheaval as the trigger for the story. War, famine, etc.

That way, you can explore how some things change while others stay exactly the same, even under extreme circumstances.

Going with this

>Write a story about a suicidel homeless man that throws himself onto the subway tracks in the middle of the night only to find the mummified remains of a young boy clutching a wiffle ball. His life is forever changed.
While he had been following death, the boy was pursuing fun. Maybe this was the alternative he was meant to take. His one goal in life had been to stop his pain, but now it will be to have fun! The homeless man grabbed the wiffle ball and looked up at the people begging him to get off the tracks.
“Catch!” he yelled, tossing the ball as he was run over by the subway.

write about a society where there's a social expectation to be really really stupid

/b/?

If you need the help of visitors of an anonymous image board to spark your imagination, writing might not be for you.

Fucking a mermaid

If im blocked I usually try ripping off a movie....after a while i've gone off on so many tangents its bares little resemblance to the movie and has given me a whole bunch of different ideas.

its important to keep writing and keep up momentum

That's actually better. You could focus on the times your father should have been there, and with his absense caused you embrassment. You could also write him as some sort of ghost. His presence exists, but to what degree?
As an example

As I readied myself for the play, my mother sat waiting in the claustrophobic school gymnasium. Crowded with odd chairs from scattered classrooms or even scattered homes, they sat expecting the performance of their lives. That's how it felt at the time. My father was a ghastly shadow floating about. Not really present, but not lacking either.

Write about a mermaids desire to see what the world is like on land

This one's good.

It's been done many times

Name some.

write about a man who lives above a grand victorian ballroom in a moldy old attic space. there's a whole between floorboards where he can just make out the dance beneath. every friday a woman comes and joins the ball, and dances with a bunch of different people but absent mindedly as if she's waiting for someone else. the man starts to obsess about the woman but seeing as he is a pathetic attic dweller he starts masturbating every time he sees her there. his masturbatory frenzy grows by every weekend and he begins losing his mind. after a while, he accidentally comes into the crack in the floor, and sees his cum fly through the air and land in her hair. in the surreal ecstacy of this improbability he picks up his gun and shoots himself in the head.

Fine, a cactus then.

I can't remember the name of the book but it was about a tree that saw lots of things and there were battles around it. Then when it was cut down people saw all the bullets etc. inside of it.