Go to Veeky Forums

>go to Veeky Forums
>anywhere between one and five Jordan B. Peterson threads
>anti-feminism thread (OP has never read a single text of feminist theory)
>Sam Harris thread
>anti-Foucault thread (OP hasn't read Foucault)
>anti-Baudrillard thread (OP hasn't read Baudrillard)
>one or more blatantly sexist, racist or anti-semetic thread(s) (e.g. "Name one good book by a black author. protip: you cant")

This kind of stuff has cropped up occasionally in the past but the quality of this board has taken a nosedive recently. It's not the fact that these people have political views that differ from mine. It's that they're not here to discuss literature and apparently read rarely if at all. We can't even have a decent thread about a woman fiction writer without a flood of /pol/ crossposters shitting it up. This board has honestly become insufferable. It's right there in the sticky-

>Veeky Forums is for the discussion of literature, specifically books (fiction & non-fiction), short stories, poetry, creative writing, etc. If you want to discuss history, religion, or the humanities, go to Veeky Forums. If you want to discuss politics, go to /pol/. Philosophical discussion can go on either Veeky Forums or Veeky Forums, but ideally those discussions of philosophy that take place on Veeky Forums should be based around specific philosophical works to which posters can refer.

Therefore, if you're going to make another anti-Foucault thread, for example, you should be prepared to discuss at least one of his books. Mods need to do a much better job keeping things literature related. This is a meta thread so it's Veeky Forums related pls don't delet.

That's all well and good but have you considered the possibility of working with the new version of the internet

I'm trying r/literature.

You know it's getting bad when reddit is a better alternative.

blockheaded
boorish
doltish
dull

dumb
fatheaded
ignorant
imbecilic

impassive
lethargic
numskulled
oafish

obtuse
phlegmatic
simple
slow-witted

sluggish
stolid
thick
torpid
boorish
dense
dim-witted

doltish
dull
dumb

oafish
obtuse
slow

slow on uptake
stupid
thick

weak-minded

retarded

addled
backward
besotted
boring
brainless
daffy
daft
dense

dim
dim-witted
doltish
dumb
feeble-minded
half-baked
ignorant
imbecilic

indolent
insensate
low
moronic
not bright
numskulled
obtuse
scatterbrained

shallow
simple
simple-minded
slow
sluggish
stolid
stupid
tedious

thick
unintellectual
vacuous
wearisome
witless

Some days of the week are better than others. I no longer browse lit like I used to, instead I come here for something specific or for pleasant surprises.

lol look at this faggot snowflake getting triggered.

>Oh no! People with different sensibilities are now posting on my board!
Someone suggested reddit, maybe that's the kind of place you pompous twat would like

>It's not the fact that these people have political views that differ from mine. It's that they're not here to discuss literature and apparently read rarely if at all.
Just wanted to repost this from my OP since I know you guys don't have strong reading comprehension.

>reddit
Now, I'll admit to browsing reddit as a SFW alternative to Veeky Forums, but going to reddit to discuss literature is honestly one of the most retarded things I've ever heard.
Reddit is a hivemind. Anything you might consider posting that goes against this hivemind will get you e-lynched because they can't handle sudden changes to their world view. Sure, subtle hints towards any direction might eventually change their view, but that will take a long time and forcing it will fuck it all up.
Plus, it is honestly a childish website. /r/books, for example, has a hard on for Stephen King + a few childhood books they first saw as Disney animated movies. The rest is "why reading makes you have a big penis!!!!" tier posts.

Aww, the Veeky Forums meanies didn't read your favrit leftie books? They should be put in jail!

uhh... I'm not gonna go there to try and change people's world view, /pol/...

Positively absurd.

>Veeky Forums is for the discussion of literature
If you make a thread about an author you should be prepared to discuss their books. That's honestly all I want. Is that too much to ask on a literature board?

I agree that /r/books is absolute trash-tier, but /r/literature is actually not that bad.
If you look at the current What Are You Reading Thread, the top posts are Foucault, Dostoevsky, Pynchon, Nabokov, Aquinas, Proust and Judith Butler. All of them could be possibly construed as meme-tier ofc, but it's a much better place for literature discussion than most of the internet.

>I recently picked up a book on Amazon that I had been pining over for a long time now. I was super excited, until I received the book and saw, with absolute soul-crushing and life-ruining horror that there was a small review quote from a celebrity that I really dislike, mainly on a moral scale (not naming because it's not really that important).

>Of course my first reaction was to descend into mouth foaming rage, declare I was returning the book and never trusting Amazon, authors, printing companies or actual words ever again. Thankfully my partner gave me a metaphorical slap in the face and suggested much more logically that I simply remove the dust jacket and continue on with my life. If only I was that clever.

>So what are your thoughts on books that are endorsed by people that you don't support? Do you research and steer clear of them? Does it simply not bother you? Or do you go into a ridiculous illogical frenzy like me?

If we were so shit you wouldn't be bothering with this faggy whinethread anyways.
Look kid, I'll let you in on a little bit of the secret.
Autistically dividing up boards by "topics" is just a metajoke.
The purpose of Veeky Forums is memeing. That's it. Full stop.
Faglords like you who need lots of rules need to fuck off to reddit for good.

>get called "kid" by a /pol/ crossposter
>muh memes
>"fuck off to reddit"
>post is reddit spaced
3/10

>Foucault, Dostoevsky, Pynchon, Nabokov, Aquinas, Proust and Judith Butler

So they have boring, unoriginal taste in books? Sounds like Veeky Forums alright.

Who are your favorite authors?

>not being open to migration and the new ideas it brings

filthy bigot

Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast ye your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn again and rend you.

Which means basically the same thing, everytime someone is arguing with you people it's always because they have misread the books or because they are ignorant

>You're not allowed to criticize Marx until you've read all 6,000 pages of Das Kapital and a shitload of exegesis that will probably set you back about $400 on the Verso Press online store!

it's okay i actually expected a cop out reply.

nah. you guys don't even put on any pretense of having read the authors you trash.

Sorry, I just prefer not to discuss literature with people who use reddit.

racist

Why is she so perfect?

>(e.g. "Name one good book by a black author. protip: you cant")
I ask myself how illiterate some people can be for not knowing that Alexandre Dumas.was black.

He wasn't really, you shouldn't trust Tarantino's memes
He had black ancestry though

Wrong use of greentext lol.

>one or more blatantly sexist, racist or anti-semetic thread(s) (e.g. "Name one good book by a black author. protip: you cant")

Name one then.

It's a quoting function you dip.

Quoting whom?

u r dum

There were a few "Feminist literature" threads lately and the /pol/tards, surprisingly, were capable to substantiate their positions quite well.
I don't mind these threads as long as they aren't mostly shitposts

This board really has gone to the dogs. It wouldn't happen if the mods/janitors were half decent.
other boards (eg Veeky Forums) are slowish and manage to keep on topic......because they have decent mods.

I'm probably too old for this....

>anti-feminism thread (OP has never read a single text of feminist theory)
>anti-Foucault thread (OP hasn't read Foucault)
>anti-Baudrillard thread (OP hasn't read Baudrillard)
I mean you don't have to eat shit to know that it tastes bad

>as a SFW alternative to Veeky Forums
Sometimes, you women appear cute, but I will always be reminded of your feral nature.

Why do sluts care about SFW?

Says the guy whose never touched a woman and not been arrested for it.

>witless
>those dub dubs
More like WITNESS amirite????

This is a dilemma that I've been in for ages. I try to get off chans and into more "normal" discussion platforms/sites. But its either complete and utter shite like reddit or you got chans were 95% are """ironic""" shitposts or just retards. There are more gems on a platform where people can freely express their opinion than language controlling sites like leddit.

slut or white knight?

>6000 pages of Das Kapital
First 2 volumes are around a 1000, nice hyperbole
And no shit, you can't understand Marx until you read his major works, what a shocker.

>you can't understand Marx until you read his major works
>what is secondary literature and wikipedia

Sure I have. Shame that she had been raped as a child so sexual things made her cry. Makes me feel like a rapist for touching her, though.
Until I am reminded of how her biological urges still tried to make her cheat on me.

>manage to keep on topic
So you want the Veeky Forums equivalent of frozen pizzas threads and fast food generals

>le being ironically suicidal reddit/twitter meme
STOP THIS NOW
>This is a meta thread so it's Veeky Forums related pls don't delet
It isn't and it should be deleted for you are a part of what you're complaining about

>Mods need to do a much better job keeping things literature related

This! I wish the mods would purge every single /pol/-shill. Remember the picture with the average IQ per board? The influence of /pol/tards have made this board plummet on that chart.

/leftypol/ is the only /pol/ worth having here, because they're the only ones who have actually read anything besides Ann Coulter and Lauren Southern.

both leftypol and pol need to get the fuck away from Veeky Forums. They are equally detrimental to the quality of this board

or how about no

how about anyone is welcome on this board as long as they can talk about real books, defend themselves reasonably, and not pseud the fuck out

and if you dont like what someone's attitude, ignore them and let the thread drop

LMFAO

>as long as they can talk about real books, defend themselves reasonably, and not pseud the fuck ou

/pol/ don't have time for this because they're too busy spending the entire day thinking about jews and jerking off to alex jones and being le quirky irony by spouting pepe memes instead of talking, reading and dicussing serious topics. it's ironic that they are in a way embodying exactly that which they say they loathe.

Stop trying to justify polluting this board you fucking faggot.

Again, another /pol/ faggot. You guys are so goddamn repetitive and mindless that you actively undermine whatever ironic power posts like this used to have.

Literal newfag

Posts like this easily demarcate you as a newfag solely because Veeky Forums has always had a hard right-wing undercurrent (that dominated the forum about this time last year iirc) that was respected because those autisic fucks actually read shit like the summa, city of god, and could talk about it.

Literally a fucking retard here. If you're not willing to read 6,000 pages you're a pleb anywaus so fuck off.

And yet again you prove why we don't want fucks like you on this board. You earnestly admit your pleb status and prepare a justification for it unironically

I literally can't, like literally

you are right about this

/pol/ has taken over all chans pretty much, and the whole basis of that worldview is antiintellectual. Its not changing any time soon.

you need to leave

good post man

B T F O
T
F
O

We need better mods. It's fucked that pol-related threads and threads about Sam Harris and Jordan whatever even stick around for as long as they do. They get a lot of replies but it's mostly complaining about mods not removing them.

Just fuck off back to /leftypol/ guys, seriously.

>implying Veeky Forums isn't a hivemind

He was a mulatto and not really very good, Machado de Assis was also a mulatto and leagues above Dumas.

>he doesn't know if he just read marx he could btfo of marxists who haven't read it either
it's like when the feminists recommend beauvoir and we get to talk about the pedophilia letters :3

saging another peterson thread

I've already read those authors multiple times though. I want something new.

it's because of the recent push by the hard left media. the entire existence of that realm of thought is to provoke the "right" (or centrists who think they're right). these people are just reacting to that provocation.

I don't have a huge problem with it because any discussion of politics is going to lead to anti intellectualism. the study of man, a profoundly stupid creature, how is it possible to make it high brow? how is it possible to not inject some sort of personal bias, as subtle as it may be, into your argument? there's no way to be completely rational and distance yourself from opinion-altering personal experiences you may have had. no one needs to read "feminist texts" or any other political tract.

We've had these exact same threads when Veeky Forums was 90% people asking for Marxist fantasy.

Fucking cringe at that cop out

No, we didn't. True Veeky Forums is apolitical. Politics is ephemeral and sleazy.

Yes, lefties were louder than righties before /pol/ got here, but nowhere near as aggressive with post creation- and the posts at least tried their best to involve literature.

extreme newfaggery

This faggot doesnt even read

hardest greentext ive had to the displeasure to read, good-day to you sir!

also after reading that filth ill answer, yes, i've had double takes where ill dismiss books by the people who have read them, but it's wrong, not everybody takes the same lessons,morals or whatever from a book.

I've been on Veeky Forums since 2006, I think it may just be time for many of us to move on.

Stop samefagging or I'll paste you one in the jaw.

newsflash: the mod is probably a /pol/ crossposter

the general culture of this site has radically shifted, the entry point is no longer /a/ and /b/ but /pol/, so instead of weebs its angsty conservative reactionaries

I know this might be hard to imagine for you, but maybe user works

bro have you ever been recently to Veeky Forums? its a cesspit of flyover and mexican baiting

>paying for public domain texts

hmm, possibly true.

>wikipedia
>substitute for reading primary sources
god you're such an insufferable new age techy autodidact cunt. Veeky Forums is full of fags like you who think the internet can teach them all they need to know. if you don't want to read books, why are you even on this board? lurk more u fucking newpleb

before you drink a few gallons of bleach, ask yourself why you feel the need to anonymously defend your virility

yeah go on waste your time reading fucking marx lmao

Phoneposters are problem.

all of shakespeare's works were written by a black woman protip: you cant

>lol keep reading yeah, wasting ur time brah
>lmeo
just leave, honestly. if you are so mad that other people read more than you, just leave. this board has nothing to offer you.

you don't read more than me; I read smarter than you
you waste your time with 3000+ pages of debunked trash when you could have a BETTER understanding by reading fewer pages of secondary literature. I don't

Not him but, reading Marx is waste of time when you can just read the Wikipedia article on surplus value and be done with it. Better to read what you actually enjoy.

>semicolon
>no period
pseud detected

This is textbook shitposting

OP. it is right there in the sticky, if you want to discuss politics go to /pol/ stop making threads about board politics and discuss literature you fucking hypocrite.

t. wasted his time reading thousands of pages of quasi-philosophical ideological pamphleting and poorman's economics

>This kind of stuff has cropped up occasionally in the past but the quality of this board has taken a nosedive recently.

this is true of all of Veeky Forums, honestly. a few years ago there were still a few decent discussions among the garbage and at least a few funny posters here and there. now the memes are worse than they've ever been, no one is funny and everything gets derailed into idiotic political banter

I see you have adopted the reddit trend of capitalizing entire words you want emphasized.

On a side note, you're possibly the first person I've ever met who is proud of himself for not reading primary texts. How's all that understanding workin out for ya?

Phoneposters are the problem.

Oh, I read plenty of primary texts. Just finished my way through Heidegger's The Origin of the Work of Art earlier today. I don't waste my time reading primary texts of prolix hacks like Marx; I've read Das Kapital and that was more than enough, so I just looked for decent secondary literature like any reasonable human being would do

>muh boogeyman
I'm posting from a desktop, tard

>>one or more blatantly sexist, racist or anti-semetic thread(s) (e.g. "Name one good book by a black author. protip: you cant")

Well can you name a good book by a black author?

protip: you can't

>all this reddit-spacing
You need to go back

Nice Reddit spacing