Somebody explain this stuff to me. According to their website, it’s cheaper and easier than traditional food...

Somebody explain this stuff to me. According to their website, it’s cheaper and easier than traditional food. I can see how it’s easier since you don’t have to drive to the store, buy ingredients, drive home, cook, eat, cleanup. But I don’t see how it’s cheaper. Am I missing something here? Also, general meal replacement thread I guess

It's a stupid gimmick for hipster faggots who are "too busy to eat." The only fuckers who drink shit like this are Elon Musk types who think everything in the world needs to be "hacked" and "optimized", ideally with a shitty Silicon Valley startup company behind it to rake in the inevitable profits from gullible morons.

Isn't it basically just like any other protein drink?

it makes you gay oeigg

No.
It's a nutritionally complete meal replacement.

Dude who developed it is a turbo autist who hates food.

It's an attempt at futuristic nutrient-gruel.

how gnarly are the liquid shits this stuff gives you?

It's not cheaper.
I liked drinking a bottle of Soylent with my breakfast. It's a lot better than Boost, Ensure, etc. I can't speak to the flavored ones, sounds gross. btw anyone who want to only eat soylent would give it up pretty quickly. There is a human need for pleasant subjective experience like a nice meal.

OP, there are people on restricted income that absolutely do believe a meal plan can end up cheaper than actual average weekly grocery bills/dining out. Nutrisystem is less than $250-300/mo, and that is certainly less than what I spend on my grocery and restaurant bills. If was more frugal I could spend no less than $75/week and get a balanced diet, and that is still not going to include incidental ingredients that cost money like dishwasher soap, certain spices and produce. Consequently, there are plenty of retired people who are sick of food, sick of effort, sick of food going bad, and they do delivered or liquid meals inbetween their indulgent nights out or when they have a mood for a good steak or seafood item. Rest of the week, they don't give a crap and might as well save money and eat right both.

food absorption and nutrient gradients are far more complicated than the average faux-scientist faggot understands. Very few people understand the complexities because it takes unlearning ameri-fat corporate propaganda. Soylent is good for you if you're extremely malnourished or have a severe vitamin imbalance, but for a healthy life it's garbage. Eat real, organic foods.

is this true?

yes
t. gay

Oh shit look at mr phd over here

>food absorption and nutrient gradients are far more complicated than the average faux-scientist faggot understands. Very few people understand the complexities because it takes unlearning ameri-fat corporate propaganda. Soylent is good for you if you're extremely malnourished or have a severe vitamin imbalance, but for a healthy life it's garbage. Eat real, organic foods.
>
>Oh shit look at mr phd over here
Well, he might have one, but what he said is true. There are diet freaks and muscle and cutting freaks who know a hell of a lot about nutrition and yet end up in the hospital and on dialysis.

The fact remains that when people go full on nursing home style of Ensure or have liquid poured down a feeding tube due to their stomach cancer taking away their stomach, and whatever awesome liquid diet of the future is given to them and their supplements, they still don't thrive. They waste in some fashion, from mental acuity to mood to muscles. Food enzymes aren't living in pasteurized liquids. You need more from your food than what can be pressed out of them and stored for long term.

Can't spend less than $75/week, what sort of shit are you buying? I am usually in the $25-40 range, depending on factors like toiletries.

I buy: 1 loaf of bread, head of broccoli, carrots, two cans of peaches, chicken, a bag of chips, and two two liters plus other odds or ends that normally last much longer than aweek, but these are the staples I buy almost every week.

Does it actually keep you satiated?

it isnt healthier, it isnt tastier, it isnt cheaper
the only benefit is that it takes less time to consume but the catch is the only people who eat this shit at nutter NEETs

Someone thought "what if we took some bullshit and applied a name to it that nobody under 30 would get?" and then they made a lot of money.

If you stick exclusively to a meal replacement liquid like pictured, you want to make sure that you still chew on something such as gum or solid food.

this nigga said 'consequently' lmfao dork

I had to take a meal replacement for a few weeks when I had a broken jaw. When I moved on to mashed potatos they were godly. Why someone would willingly subject themselves to that...

I pound a protein or breakfast shake on occasion when I'm trying to put on weight, am sure they cost less than this stuff for that use.

They're nice if you don't feel like cooking. Would I live off of them? No.

imagine what your shit would look like after a week on this shit.

>drinking something named after a product in a movie made from people
>"complete" meal
>only 20% of your daily nutrition
>apparently healthy people eat five meals a day

I don't think I'd replace all food with it but it seems like you could replace breakfast or lunch during the week.

My friend drinks the powdered version and it has basically ushered him into full blown bug man status. He literally just goes straight to and from his soul crushing job, drinks his fuckin Soylent and then pulls out his laptop and keeps working until he passes out. He was thrilled when they introduced the caffeinated versions so that he could stay up longer to work more.

It's so fucking sad and I'm pretty sure he's going to end up killing himself because he hasn't experienced anything resembling human life in ages. He doesn't leave his house anymore but complains that we never want to hang out with him. Truth is we invite him everywhere but he refuses or backs out at last minute because of work / because now he's developed crippling anxiety from not going out enough.

I would buy a case of the chocolate one if I was going to a festival or camping something and knew I wouldn't have access to legit food for a couple days, but I'm warning you anons to stay the fuck away from this stuff. If you don't believe me, consider that my friend started drinking it so he could save time to go out and do more stuff he likes, instead it turned him into one of the pod people from the 'real world' in the Matrix movies.

Continued, after actually reading the thread instead of knee jerk reacting about my personal experience with it:

Is there such a thing as like "adult onset" autism? Because I'm pretty sure my friend has developed it. He's super evangelical about Soylent but doesn't realize that the "nutritionally complete" claim is not some legally enforced standardized phrase like "sugar free" is.

Also it tastes like fucking library paste, at least the powder does. My friend is also underweight now to the point that people make comments about it. I try to explain to him that meal replacement shakes are supposed to help you lose weight and that's why he is losing so much weight, but he reiterates the fucking meme about it being nutritionally complete. Soylent is Slim Fast marketed for spergs.

It's pure liquid. I know a guy who has been drinking it for 6ish months and claims he hasn't had a solid turd since. Pretty sure that's not something to brag about and that he might actually get ass cancer.

Stop shilling your tranny juice here degenerate.

I live in an expensive area and keep it down to 30-40$ a week to feed 2 people. What are you buying?

>Is there such a thing as like "adult onset" autism?
No, but there is such a thing as an obsessive personality finding a new focus. You know how some people become obsessed with their latest fixation, for him it's obviously Soylent.

Its garbage for your body and full of simple carbohydrates. Also makes you shit like a motherfucker and causes intense gas

you're supposed to have solid poops on soylent

source: i have solid poops on soylent

It's a bugman drink designed for the future mulatto underclass slave laborers that toil away in rare mineral mines with only 2 hours of sleep per day,because only the Asian-Jewish upper class is going to have access to real food in the ZOG NWO ruled future.

I have the dutch version (plenny shakes)
its pretty nice: fast filling nutritious cheap
1.66 euros for a 750 calorie shake with 40 grams of protein and at least 1/3 of the daily requirement of every vitamin/mineral/fiber/whatever the hell you need
I just eat it whenever I feel like it, mostly for breakfastor when im being lazy

Nutrition and what not aside how is that a replacement for a meal? It's just some liquid which I'd expect your stomach can process pretty fast leaving you feeling hungry again.

wow it's almost like different states and cities have different prices

>"expensive area"
>feeding yourself on 20 dollars a week
what do you eat; dirt?
I literally could not get my food bill down to less than 75/wk and still get a nutritionally complete diet. I live in western MA and spend 600/mo on groceries

$20 a day at the grocery store? How is that even possible? I struggle to spend the $6 I get in food stamps

Shit is $4 for 400 cal.

Not cheap and not even a meal replacement. What kind of faggot considers 400 cal a meal?

The chocolate one tastes delicious though.