Why does he trigger Veeky Forumsards so much?

why does he trigger Veeky Forumsards so much?

There are authors who are considered universally bad and so barely get a mention on here except as a meme reply. But I've seen plenty of people on Veeky Forums absolutely LOSE their shit whenever someone dares to make a SK thread or to mention they enjoyed 1 or 2 of his works.

Where does this fuming rage at one writer come from?

His entire career is built upon a marketing scheme.

>I've seen plenty of people on Veeky Forums absolutely LOSE their shit whenever someone dares to make a SK thread or to mention they enjoyed 1 or 2 of his works.
Really? I don't believe you. Find me some recent examples.

>Where does this fuming rage at one writer come from?

Probably because he's one of the most famous author today, and if you ask someone under ~40 what they read, they'll probably only mention him, even though there's so much better out there. Not that he's bad, but you know.

>There are authors who are considered universally bad and so barely get a mention on here
because they are not successful. they don't trigger jealousy.

he catered to all people when most authors focused on pretentious patrician intellectual bullshit. and now you're triggered that common people like him? contain your jealousy and incompetence.

This. And what's more, he's proud of it. Props to this nigga. Also IT and Different Seasons are fucking top-tier knoimsayn?

a lot of people on Veeky Forums live with the idea that they're uber enlightened patricians of literature and they can't be seen to tolerate something as base as an "entertainment writer"

it's like if you're a cooking expert you can't enjoy a greasy burger once in awhile because of your faggot reputation on an anonymous Basotho neck jewelry forum

There's nothing wrong with Stephen King, you pick up his books and read them in the airport and get a fun little story.

It's not great literature, it's not supposed to be. No one shits on Mark Twain despite him also doing little folksy stories for the masses.

>fun little story
IT is neither fun nor short, pally.

What you're talking about, we mostly just ignore him. He's arrogant and trying too much, but he's doing all that in a funny and appealing way that's hard not to like. Now, GRRM on the other hand...

I suspect that many of the people who have those sorts of reactions have never actually read King's stuff, they just want to seem clever.

You wouldn't be SK, would you?

i can eat a burger in 5 minutes, while it would take me a week or more o read a 400 pages long garbage book

What's wrong, buck-o?

I like King, "Misery" and "Carrie" were great books and I thoroughly enjoyed reading the "Dark Tower" Books and his writing-manual/autobiography "On Writing". I think that he gets a lot of crap for being a prolific writer, and yeah the dude pumps out the books; but I think people associate more quantity of books means less quality.

>But I've seen plenty of people on Veeky Forums absolutely LOSE their shit whenever someone dares to make a SK thread or to mention they enjoyed 1 or 2 of his works.

No you haven't.

In any case, he's written some really good stuff, but mostly he's produced total trash.

Kind of true. He was one of the first authors to start using tv ads for his work (probably not his idea btw, his publishers). I remember as a kid seeing his ads, then all of a sudden all our parents had his books sitting on their bookshelf. They basically sold because they were on tv, and his books were big, so it made the parents look smart that pretended to read them.

All that said, he has produced some genuinely good books however.

>It's not great literature, it's not supposed to be.

That's the point though. Stephen King gets praise from respected publications and earns literary awards. In a world of many underappreciated writers, overrating the mediocre ones is a bigger sin than usual.

>It's not great literature

I'd argue a few things he's written actually is great literature.

Let's argue. I've read many of his books, have failed to make it through some of them, and I just don't see what people appreciate about him.

His prose is usually nothing special, although I can forgive that if the story and characters are interesting, but that's not the case. His characters are predictable and shallow, the villains are cartoonishly evil, the protagonists are usually bland "good guys," (Jack Torrence was a pleasant exception, I imagine because King was writing from the heart about actual personal issues with his character), his plots lead to disappointing endings or just plain ridiculous shit, and his books are filled with pointless overlong scenes.

I can only bear his work when he isn't trying to be literary at all. I'll take the fast paced Richard Bachman thrillers or his schlocky snappy short stories over overwrought door-stoppers like The Stand or IT any day of the week.

It's not his fault if he gets given awards. That is a problem with the establishment, not Stephen King.

God forbid people actually enjoy something. Everyone on Veeky Forums pretends they don't do anything slightly mind numbing once in a while but everyone does. At least with Stephen King you can be mindlessly entertained and still be reading.

His shit is cliche

He catered to morons shortly after the American education system went to shit and general readership went into decline*

you'd be missing that I said a FEW things he's written are lit. Most is trash, sure, but you look at some of his short stories and maybe IT and a few other novels, I'd consider those serious lit.

His prose aren't great, but there's tons of accepted lit authors who aren't either. As a matter of fact, probably relitively few great authors had great prose. I'm also sick of the fucking word Prose, it's one of those words you just look like a douche whenever you use it.

Stephen King is essentially a master of the cliché. Most of his writing is an amalgamation of boomer pop culture tropes that have been ingrained in the American psyche since the country started watching television--spooky clowns, suburban paradise with a dark secret, the Man with No Name, Leave it to Beaver, wise old black lady, Sauron-like embodiment of pure evil... He's really more influenced by mass media than the Western literary tradition, which might be why his prose is so accessible and why his stories work so well as screen adaptions. I think that his best work is in his short stories, not his novels, which never seem to conclude.

>Most is trash, sure, but you look at some of his short stories and maybe IT and a few other novels, I'd consider those serious lit.

IT has many of the problems I talked about. What other of his novels do you consider serious literature?

>he has produced some genuinely good books

Like what?
The Stand and The Dark Tower series are the most frequently given as his masterpieces and they're both absolute trash.

I have never seen anti King posting outside of the angsty contrarian ideologues from that other board, who are mad King criticised their meme president

>The Stand and The Dark Tower series are the most frequently given as his masterpieces

They are....?

Those are his more successful ones but I haven't seen many people claim they're his best.