Is this a good introduction to literature?

Is this a good introduction to literature?

Other urls found in this thread:

nativlang.com/middle-english/middle-english-pronunciation.php
twitter.com/AnonBabble

read whatever you want, dumbass. i get that youre a stupid child who is afraid of his own opinions but for fucks sake do you need to seek approval for every action in your life?

how would you have opinions about books you haven't read

It's not like you're taking up a job. There's ways to get more easily acquainted with the classics or a larger variety of literature in general, but the best introduction to literature is obviously to simply read what you want to read.

That being said, you can follow what you proposed but I feel like most people wouldn't be able to get through those books if they were the first they read in terms of literature.

>simply read what you want to read
Except for YA trash and most genre fiction.

You don't have to "start" in any particular place (just what interests you - be that Harry Potter or Beowulf, both are equally as valid imo). It also depends what form of literature you're interested in - novels, verse, poetry, oral, etc.

Better than reading nothing at all. Most people who enjoy reading YA or genre fiction eventually start with actual literature. It's not like you can pick up classic literature as your first books. As long as they don't pretend like it's actual literature, I see no problem.

Fair enough

we all start somewhere, for me it was frank baum, paul jennings, and stephen king

I started with Brandon Sanderson, Song of Ice and Fire, Mark Lawrence, Joe Abercrombie, Goosebumps when I was young, Stephen King etc.

Now I'm an English major reading a lot of Old & Middle English.

I don't know anyone who picked up the Canterbury Tales and thought "shit this looks good" and whipped through it in two Red Bull-fueled nights instead of hanging out with their girlfriend. I know tons of people that did that with Name of the Wind and Stephen King and Terry Pratchett.

Without a proper understanding of the western canon, it can prove difficult and possibly even impossible to understand what is going on in "what you want to read".

I have a lot of time on my hands, besides with pic related and English being my first and only language I want to do it right.
nativlang.com/middle-english/middle-english-pronunciation.php

This. I was a big Goosebumps and Harry Potter fan, then in my teens read primarily fantasy. Eventually, my love for reading led to me read better, less vapid stuff, at a point where entertainment wasn't my objective. I think Faulkner and Nabokov initially did the trick.

lol fuck off with your shit standards ya damn pleb the projection is real
>just like haha read what makes you happy xD cant go wrong

As a student, sure. As a reader, no. Fiction has come a long, long way since those titles.

Readers should start with Catch-22, Slaughterhouse Five, Stoner, Confederacy of Dunces, The Old Man and the Sea, Of Mice and Men & Grapes of Wrath, Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy (and then the whole trilogy), Flowers for Algernon, Rats in the Walls & Dreams in the Witch House, Silence of the Lambs... I'll stop, but those are the best that storytelling has to offer for someone who reads for pleasure rather than historical curiosity or academic essay-writing. Probably forgot a few big titles. There's a wide world of literature out there.

No

Cervantes is a meme especially

Far better to read roman poets than homer

Dont just read the Canterbury Tales by Chaucer

bro my opinion is that the opinion of others matter, chill.

Why Chaucer before Homer? Why no Virgil? Why no Dante? Why no Bible?

The Canterbury tales will bore the shit out of you.

Also reading Borges before Homer is stupid.

My god...

You have to be kidding. Why would roleplaying like you're in Highschool reading assigned by teacher books be a good introduction to literature?

If you want an introduction to literature the Borges book you should read is Other Inquisitions, which is pretty much literary criticism, essays about other writers.

leave his short stories for later

I don't see why people shit on this ideology. It's human nature to try and be like those around you when you don't really know what you're doing.

>Not going out of your way to build a solid foundation of literature
wew

>Borges
Idk if his work is adecuate for beginners

We've literally been watching eachother since we've been telling stories. It's ancient.

Depends on your goal in reading books.
You might read it for it's great prose.
Or it's great intellectual substance.
Or how it touches your soul.
Or for its great creative inspiration.
Or motivation for something.
Maybe you just read a book to learn something new.
Perhaps you just wish to waste some time and read some dopamine stimulating story.