Anyone read pic related? Seen him mentioned a few times on here, don't know a lot about him...

Anyone read pic related? Seen him mentioned a few times on here, don't know a lot about him, wondering if it's worth the 1300 pages.

>wondering if it's worth the 1300 pages
what did he mean by this

>wondering if it's worth the 1300 pages
You're not worthy to read Montaigne.

Yeah I know, I could of worded it better.

I just meant it's long and I don't want to invest in it when i'm not sure what i'm getting.

Meh, I guess my articulation is shit, whatever, i'll just buy the damn thing.

currently reading and it's fucking beautiful honestly, possibly the most well read man to ever exist

Yes, 1300 pages of timeless wisdom is worth the effort.

Absolutely.

>your first language wasn't latin

lmao

Besides the probable consensus (which my vote would support) that yes, he's worth the page count, also keep in mind the format. This isn't a novel; you don't have to read it all at once, and you don't need to remember details from earlier essays to enjoy later ones. Also many if not most of the essays are

the ultimate comfy bedside book

I have that book. You really don't need The Complete Works, just the essays. All his letters are about how he cannot stop thinking about his boyfriends cock while he is away on holiday.

they're short unconnected essays.

you're supposed to dip in and out of them for pleasure.

sort of like a woman.

OP he's the best friend I never met. If there was only one man in history I could have met for a coffee or a beer it would have been Montaigne.

I am not a clever man. How dense are these essays?

OP, here, thanks for the replies. Going to order the complete essays.

older translations available online. pick one at random and come back and report to us, why don't you?

I don't like his essays. They seem like a mixture of aphoristic plattitudes and intense navel-gazing. Loadsa peeps like him though.

I'd be very surprised if it was reciprocal; when Montaigne died, Shakespeare's career was just getting started.

Also, good post.

I don't think those are fair criticisms of Montaigne desu. The essays are a man making an attempt to understand himself in a more profound way and often he ends up with no real conclusions regarding the questions he asks, hence his skepticism. You seem to be treating him as if he writes 16th Century self-help books, but his goal with the essays is ultimately a deeply personal one.

One of the best experience you may ever had.

I recommend you read Seneca as well. It will help you understand Montaigne.

Yes, it is.

Quick aside: How much, if any, of Seneca builds on Cicero? I'd like to read Seneca (especially his moral essays) especially because there isn't a huge amount to get through, but he comes well after Cicero, of whom there IS a huge amount to get through (if one were to read even a decent chunk of his works).