Why is sincerity so often contrasted with irony? Surely they are not mutually exclusive terms

Why is sincerity so often contrasted with irony? Surely they are not mutually exclusive terms.

What's so bad about irony?

And what's the difference between sincerity and authenticity, anyway?

Other urls found in this thread:

salon.com/2014/04/13/david_foster_wallace_was_right_irony_is_ruining_our_culture/
youtube.com/watch?v=zdzY49xlvdY
youtube.com/watch?v=S0MzeMfcGxA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Sincerity can be bad and irony can be good. You're primarily dealing with children on this forum though.

You can be ironic with sincere intent, but irony is often used to obscure intent, which is insincere.

>that file name
Yeah, race IS a social construct.

Those bitch is going be hideous when her face starts to age. So like by 24

>Sincerity is often contrasted with irony, because irony is often used to obscure intent, and obstruction of intent is insincerity.

I don't buy that. If I write a novel full of ambiguity, then I'm obscuring intent by definition, but why does that make me (or is it the novel?) insincere? Why is intent conflated with sincerity?

And even if I were being insincere, why is that bad?

Am I being ironic or sincere though? Are you?

>What's so bad about irony?
I mean don't you hate rain on your wedding day?

>all those moles
good god what the fuck cover up

irony: you're smart = you're stupid
sincerity: you're smart = you're smart

nothing is bad about irony it's just a method to express humor or contrast. people try and use to obscure their intent while lying to others and themselves which is bad. but they'll do that anyway

>Anyone with the heretical gall to ask an ironist what he actually stands for ends up looking like an hysteric or a prig. And herein lies the oppressiveness of institutionalized irony, the too-successful rebel: the ability to interdict the question without attending to its subject is, when exercised, tyranny. It [uses] the very tool that exposed its enemy to insulate itself.

salon.com/2014/04/13/david_foster_wallace_was_right_irony_is_ruining_our_culture/

You're being ironic by contrasting the statement 'race is a social construct' with a picture of an attractive white woman.
It's the same sentiment present in the image to the left- however, this image is sincere: it presents a clear argument with evidence to support it. The picture for the words.
The irony in your post is based on the juxtaposition between the statement 'race is a social construct' and the notion that white women are more attractive than non-white women. The irony comes from the difference between the intent of the statement and the actual statement.

>salon

>salon
>In the history of this country, no artistic tradition has done more to elevate the human spirit than black American music
i don't know why i read that article. i think the author is just frustrated cause the left is deconstructing itself into nihility and he fears it.

this person doesn't want sincerity he wants to dismantle the bridge after crossing it

>salon
Jesus fucking christ
I love new sincerity as a concept but people citing articles like this is why people turned to spewing vitriolic cynicism in the first place

>I think the author is just frustrated cause the left is deconstructing itself into nihility and he fears it.
The left has been doing this since at least Dostoevsky's Russia. I don't know why people are surprised by this. Anti-intellectualism and radical Leftism seem to go hand-in-hand.

Irony's a figure of speech like many another-- metaphor, hyperbole, synechdoche, etc. Like these, irony could be contrasted to simplicity of speech or clarity, although it could easily be argued that devices such as these render speech even MORE clear, etc. Because it is a tool, it doesn't really have a contrary other than its own absence. What, for instance, is the counter of wrench, or piano?
Authenticity is too bound up with novelty and origins to have much to do with sincerity in actual fact. Nonetheless most appreciate an authentic friend, or an authentic human being..
Iow's 'authentic' for 'sincere' is a hyperbole, but a telling one. That is it truthfully expresses a human sentiment, or feeling.

>Surely they are not mutually exclusive terms.
If sincerity means truthful, straight forward intent, then they're, in fact, mutually exclusive terms

Seriously don't get this. Picture of white person 'rAcE is A SoCial CoNsTruct." Like, go read what the fuck that even means before deciding you think you know.

>Irony is the form of the paradox. Paradox is what is good and great at the same time.

Elle Fanning is so pretty it makes me sad

what did he mean by this?

Are there any hot abos? Or do they all look like cavepersons?

when they mix with whites they are pretty cute.
I think the fact that the purer-blooded ones get ugly at age 20 might be why there's rampant paedophilia in their communities.

>Hey user, wanna come drink petrol with me?

Yes please. We can even get high test if y-you want.

What this user says.

But it's really an american thing where irony was interpreted as some sort of dissidence coming down from Melville's Bartleby, and then turned upside down by people like DFW on puritanical reasons: every sophistication was seen as a treachery, that is as being an immoral person.

It's the same reason why if you write "difficultly" in the US they will accuse you to be a bad person.

Naturally puritanism is just a way to feel superior to people that have better lives/more fun/more sophistication than you. In the 90s it was a way to be american and not european.

Irony produces obsfucation of meaning; intent and the literal meaning of the message aren't the same
Sincere discourse stands opposite to ironic discourse in that its intent matches the message

This isn't true. DFW wasn't against irony per se, there's plenty of it in IJ. A lot of the footnotes are completely ironic. He was against the prevailing attitude of irreverence and ironic detatchment he was seeing in popular culture. He was afraid shit like this would destroy society:
youtube.com/watch?v=zdzY49xlvdY

That kind of behavior died down in the 90s/early 00s, I think

>The irony in your post is based on the juxtaposition between the statement 'race is a social construct' and the notion that white women are more attractive than non-white women.
Nothing at all implied that. Blow it out your ass.

Is grunge ironic or sincere?

youtube.com/watch?v=S0MzeMfcGxA

Damn. Nice evidence. Wtf I am racist now.