>love books
>decide to be a lit major
>have to read four novels a week
>have to read books of theory and criticism to supplement them each week
>have to write a short paper about each novel each week
>free time is spent reading books and papers for research or theoretical essays
>only reprieve is being on the shitter or in the shower
>have to think ahead to next semester
>realize that to stay on top i have to spend my study break preparing for it by spending all that time reading more books
>start hating books
>my only rest from books is my part-time low-paying hard-labor job that i need to feed and clothe myself
>not allowed to bring books to work so on my work breaks i browse Veeky Forums
>every time someone posts a chart / guide i realize i've only read a fraction of the books
>plan to read them after graduation
>to-read list is over a thousand books

That's one of the main reasons why I never wanted to study lit in an atmosphere like that: I knew it'd make me grow to resent it.

Hope it all works out for you, though.

Thanks. Me too.

How the fuck do they expect you to read 4 books a week? Not even philosophy courses make you do this. To get through it all you would literally have to read 400+ words a minute. Surely you teachers would know that not everybody is reading all the assigned texts.

sounds like you dont like books as much as you thought you did

save the literature for the patricians kiddo, you obviously arent cut out for it>he thinks reading 4 books a week is absurd

kek

This.
>not reading at least 22 books a week
I share this board with mental midgets. Disgusting.

how come you don't read while on the shitter?

waste of quality time, that.

also, shit job-> audiobooks.

>faggot pretends to read more than four texts critically in a week.

Kek.

4 books a week is pretty easy my dude. But I believe it becomes infinitely more difficult if like OP you are doing some other job to go along with it.

>actually reading the books

You did this to yourself

>>not allowed to bring books to work
What the fuck?

This is like me but with science. I used to go to the library every day after school in a comfy corner and indulge in those huge DK coloured encyclopaedia type books, reading for hours till it was dinner time. Would lie in bed thinking about the facts I read and get all jittery about the prospects of science. Every waking moment would be filtered through rose coloured perceptions of how the world worked. Boring every day shit didn't seem so boring.

Until I went into uni and studied science. Lectures filled with boring autistic nerds that furiously typed away what the lecturers' said, word by word. Class after class of tasteless facts. The once magical dimensions of science and its invisible beauty reduced to facts which we needed to regurgitate. No time for anything to sink in, just have to memorise a whole heap of boring facts. In anatomy, don't even learn about how things worked together but just the names of muscles, bones, etc. basically a second language except it's dry as fuck. Only do well in research papers and barely passing final exams.

I no longer read science books because it just brings me bad memories of trying to cram an entire textbook the night before. Still the occasional academic article on neuroscience is still interesting but I no longer have the passion for scientific truth.

Oh well, at least I still have my literature.

This desu. Actually studying science killed all enjoyment of it.

And yet I'm going back for a PhD.
I just hope actual research can spark some passion in me, otherwise it'll be a grim few years.

>>every time someone posts a chart / guide i realize i've only read a fraction of the books
Then what kind of fucking books are they forcing you to read? John Green?

Aand then you realize a lit major does jack shit and no ome cares you spent your best years like a moron wasting your time

Ahahahahaha, now get me my burger and fries mister cashier

Probably modern feminist lit or some hyper specific time period that he has to get real acquanted with due to his modules

>now get me my burger and fries mister cashier

Not even OP or a lit major but these is baby boomer level banter.

What's next? A naughty Monica Lewinski joke?

Oh man you have a point maybe OP can go into academia and become himself another cog in the literature major scam that exists only to perpetuate useless writings with no impact whatsoever

>goes into panic mode and tries to spin my post so he can ramble about OP

OP might be a faggot but he didn't make you use that cornball baby boomer banter either, did he?

OP fell for a meme major that killed his passion and will ne jobless by the end of it, let me gloat about it

Hey man if you're cool with your banter sounding like some grouchy father of four who loved to rage about "liberal moonbats" on The_Donald a lot because Veeky Forums secretly confused him then have at it.

>hahaha get my burger OP consider yourself OWNED

You make it sound even more funnier than it was, thanks

That's only what it's like when you're grinding out the core classes for the degree. After a couple terms of that hell you just do some easy electives and then your senior thesis/capstone project. You will have loads of time in your senior year probably. That's how it was for me. I think the worst was junior year, doing all those upper division lit courses back to back it felt like I averaged 3 or 4 hours of sleep a night and my wrists locked up from all the scribbling and typing.

I gave you a quick glimpse into the banter that an actual personality can provide you. My pleasure.

>How the fuck do they expect you to read 4 books a week?
By reading them in your spare time? It's not hard. Most of the books are not overly long, or even particularly difficult to read. You actually finish a book in a day or two, then reread parts of it several times to participate in discussions and also make notes for passages you want to reference later in your papers.

I found when speaking to the EngLit students at my university that most of the books they'd been tasked with, I'd already read. That was first years though.