New Murakami

So has Veeky Forums got around to reading the new Murakami yet? Is it worth the time?

>So has Veeky Forums got around to reading the new Murakami yet?
Yes
>Is it worth the time?
No

>So has Veeky Forums got around to reading the new Murakami yet?
No
>Is it worth the time?
Yes

>So has /it/ got around to reading the new Murakami yet?
No
>Is it worth the time?
No

>So has /it/ got around to reading the new Murakami yet?
Maybe
>Is it worth the time?
Maybe

haha epic. pls put make sure to include me in the screencap so I can point myself out when I post on r/Veeky Forums.

Op what I've heard is that it's just more of the same Murakami. Think of the Murakami Bingo image and you'll have an idea. I havent gotten to it yet but Murakami is one of those easy comfort authors I read to pass the time so I'm looking forward to it.

>easy comfort authors
That's a pretty good description of his work.

>wasting time on Murakami

Just read one of his books if you really want and then you've read them all.

I too have not read this book, or any Murakami books for that matter, but I can tell you now that it is going to be very dull and full of cliches like all his other work that I have not read.

I would recommend to just skip this book altogether and read the superior Japanese author, Mishima, who I have also not read but know to be a masterful writer (particularly with Spring Snow and Sailor Who Fell From Grace With the Sea, neither of which I have read and do not plan on reading in the foreseeable future).

I know this is bait but I have read Mishima and while he is superior, I still read Murakami because I'm not a fucking brainlet.

This.
I've actually read Mishima tho.

What percentage of Veeky Forums does this represent?

Like... 95%?

FTFY

95% sounds pretty generous. Most posts on this board fail to even grasp a shallow understanding of the books they discuss. I've been guilty of this in the past too, though.

This post inspires me to write a copypasta suggesting that Tsukasa Fushimi is the superior Japanese author just to see if I can get someone to parrot the opinion.

I read Norwegian Wood and I will never waste my time with Murakami ever again. The book didn't deserve to be published. Its "The Fault in Our Stars" from Japan. Please don't post these threads.

>Japanese """""literature"""""

You'd honest to God be better off reading manga. But I'm sure /co/ would prove that even that is derivative. The Japanese haven't had a single original and creative thought in 2000 years.

You're very wrong, but I don't care to argue with you in a fun meme thread. Though I would agree that there is manga out there that is way better than Murakami.

Picked the wrong book, 'kafka on the shore' is a masterpiece. Only reason I really started this thread was my love for that story.

Agreed, Kafka on the Shore is great, my first entry to his stuff as well.

>he's wrong
>implying Soseki isn't bland as fuck
>implying No Longer Human isn't just another work on PTSD
>implying you actually know japanese to talk about Akutagawa's prose
>implying Tale of Genji isn't behind every western epic including Orlando Innamorato, The Lusiads and even I Juca Pirama

I did, and it was great. Murakami is crypto-patrician

Norwegian Wood is Murakami's worst by a long way, which is also why it's the most popular

Read Kafka on the Shore awhile back. I enjoyed the hell out of it. Can't say the prose was very impressive (or at all) but the plot was so fun to read

I also enjoyed the parallels between Ozeki's novel "A Tale for the Time Being" as it's full of references from KOTS

Mishima, BITCH

he peaked with dansu dansu dansu, fuck everything after that

> Is it worth the time?
I thought so. If you enjoy Murakami then you'll enjoy Men Without Women. For the most part its standard Murakami, with a few minor deviations (none of which I found particularly successful). Kino, Independent Organ and Men Without Women probably stood out as my favourites of the collection.

> Is it worth the money?
Not if you live in Australia... The collection will only take a few hours to read at most.

wheres that Oxford comma, my guy?

hahaha you thought that Veeky Forums actually reads? get out