Recent purchases thread? rate if you feel like it

recent purchases thread? rate if you feel like it.

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Ramayana-Shortened-Version-Penguin-Classics/dp/0143039679
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bhagavad-Gītā_as_It_Is
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

oh that's the complete works of mark twain in the background if you were curious. not a recent purchase but it made it in the picture.

>An American reading American po-mo trash.

D
R
O
P
P
E
D.

>Ramcharit manas.
Well done.

ढोल, गवार,शूद्र, पशु नारी सकल ताड़ना के अधिकारी।
Drum, uneducated,low castes,animals and women are always deserving of a tounge lashing.

t. Tamil Vaishnav Brahmin that likes to annoy liberals on the Internet.

Though in all seriousness OP don't read Tulsidas's version of our epic.
It's not exactly suitable for anybody but people from India's northern central parts.
You should go for either Valmiki's original or R.K. Narayan's modern one.

If anyone got genuine questions about hindu mythology, literature or whatever else in Shri Vaishnav tradition, bump the thread with it until I come back in the morning and answer.

Gotta sleep 11:30 P:M here.
Btw here is link for R.K Narayan's Ramayan amazon.com/Ramayana-Shortened-Version-Penguin-Classics/dp/0143039679

Left is Fukazawa Shichirō's The Ballad of Narayama, I think. (Google isn't much help)
The right is Yasunari Kawabata's "The lake". Got this one as a gift

r8?

i don't know either book so i r8 u good job m9

hey you're that Hungarian that keeps posting books here

keep it up, they're good

[E-fame intensifies]
I like the stuff I get.
Most of it is dirt cheap.
How much do you yankees pay for books?

Not bad for $20

Just read "Notes from the Underdog" last month. I highly recommend it.
Kind of connected with me.
I rarely have this with books

not a yankee desu

typically £7 for 'small' books and £15 for 'large' ones at my local bookstore

to add, in pristine and new condition

there's a secondhand section where most books are under £5

Are those used prices?
They seem a bit excessive for used books.
What am I saying? These prices are ludicrous!

not used, pristine

I just bought
Inherent Vice
Forbidden Colours
The Left Hand of Darkness

I'm enjoying Forbidden Colours, and am looking forward to Inherent Vice. I've had to put a hold on Mason & Dixon because honestly, I'm having trouble staying focused. I'm going to start with IV, then read Bleeding Edge. Does anyone have any advice from where to go from there? Should I just resume M&D?

The used price you said isn't much better.
At least for me.
I could buy six books from 5 pounds.
Well, when the shop owner is dumb anyways.
But you have higher wages and income so it evens out I think.

probably

>implying all po-mo isn't trash

You spend too much time here. There's more to discover in literature than postmodernism and the Greeks.

fixed

most of my e-books i pirated aren't pomo or greek. but i'll try to get some physicals of other stuff next paycheck

Nice, I want to get ADA and the Niebelungenlied soon. You should make a thread once you read it.

What are your thoughts on Ananda K. Coomaraswamy?

Eyy, I bought a used copy of Malcom X's autobiograpjy as well the other day, looking forward to reading it. I also own that copy of To The Lighthouse,
I really like the cover

Genuine scholarly bridge between your(western) culture and mine.
Contrary to what the retarded mainstream contemptuous attitude that our independence struggle spawned.(fuck gandhi and nehru may they rot in hell for subverting hindu identity and political thought)

I'm reading Mason and Dixon now and I'm about half way through (its taken a couple of slow months). It is really a lovely book, don't be afraid to really sit with it and take your time.

you okay bud?

Ayyyy, not that guy but Malcolm X's autobiography is one of my favorite books. Make sure your edition has the epilogue, it's critical but some retard editions dropped it.

Not at my house rn but the next few books I want to work through are

> The Tunnel by Ernesto Sabato (in spanish wish me luck)
> Aristotle's Politics
> The Shipwrecked Mind by Mark Lilla

not for a very long time

> when the books arrive but the dust covers are dead

Pls kill me

Where did you order from? They should have stated the condition of the dustcover.

Hardcovercucks BTFO

Those are incredibly ugly editions of all those books. The Proust titles are fucked up too.

the only po-mo thing there is cosmicomics and it is italian

reddit is >that way

>The Sweet Cheat Gone
lmao

Our duplicitous deal darried long in degrading dust covers. Alas! I were fool enough, bought edition from surreptitious thought. Woe!

While reading LoTiT, the lit meme novel, Tao Lin was often mentioned.
Are his works any good?

That's a nice copy of Tristram Shandy

>recent purchases thread? rate if you feel like it.

I got some book on the Kenedies written before the assassination, talking about WW3 and Cold War implications, and I forgot it in a friend whom I visited that evening.

>forgot it in a friend whom I visited that evening
Must have been a wild night

Yeah, a wild night of drinking, eating, talking pseudo intellectual politics and philosophy and scientific speculation, while taking turns playing music on Youtube.
The only girl fell asleep with her head in my lap and woke up when I dropped chip dip on her, and got upset and left at like 2AM.

But you left a book IN your friend

Ooooh, thats just me not being native in english.
I suppose I should say I left it at a friend's. As in, in his apartment.

Doesn't matter.
I just found it funny.
And it's not like English is my native tongue either

do you mean Notes from the "Underground", user?

surely you wouldnt bullshit us about reading something as complex as Dostoevsky, only to fuck up the name

Plus glass bead game

>king lear

my nigga

Yeah a probably my favorite Shakes. Getting into the habit of buying Arden and Norten Shakespeare when I seem them used.

"Beware of pity" was great and also absolutely broke my heart. I think you'll like it, but it'll knock you out

>tfw I like buying books more than reading

Trouble in Paradise might be Zizeks best recent work. I say this without having read The Courage of Hopelessness fully yet, so take it with a grain of salt.

R8?

This was over a couple weeks of library sales

pardon the flip

tale of genji is a two volume set btw

Better than Parallax or Violence ?

Why is Fowles Magus suddenly so popular? Is it because of Trump?

Why does one thing have to do with the other? I'm not even American, I just thought it seems interesting

Some Hindu monk who may have been a fraud sold me that same Bhagavad-gita. Do you know if it's a legit translation?

i think so

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bhagavad-Gītā_as_It_Is

Were you on that Starship Troopers thread on /pol/ too?

That's the worst Hardy book

Read the Mayor of Casterbridge or Jude the Obscure. Mayor of Casterbridge is better.

fowles has been a sleeper meme for years

Tell me how shit I am.
Also does Veeky Forums have a pre-req? I mean in the same way that Loomis is for /ic/.

no
the magus is alright, i bought the book because i thought it would be this huge mindfuck but it wasn't really, thought it was a lot more conservative actually.

The prerequisite is drinking a bottle of bleach. Take your shit taste elsewhere.

I had to get moby dick for the read along

John Williams died the day I was born.

with this information I will find out where you live and have unprotected sex with your mother

Do you tend to keep borrowing library books and only focusing on them as well?

Stuff I got in the past fornight. V was a replacement from BookDepo from Feb or so.

cucks

Top book is Jünger's On the Marble Cliffs which I have finished by now.

I don't know half of these but it looks like a fun blend of science fiction and spiritualism. Hope it's research for your novel.

Based on Veeky Forums recommendations? I'm sure you'll find something you like in there.

Something about this pisses me off so much.

The books look like they are taken from the spooky house set of the goosebumps tv show.

The non Euro centric books seem a little tagged on. Trying to broaden your horizon?

Disgustingly french.

Somewhat erotic.

I think you can drop Dragonball. At this point he's already adult, right? The Incal is the best book in the pile.

Were half of the spines designed by the same person? They give me "world bestseller" vibes.

When does the read along start?

I struggled a lot with Ada and only got through 400 pages despite loving Nabokov

>rated all but mine

Which one is yours? I probably just didn't know anything about it, sorry.

mine was

I first wanted to say that the book on the right has a nice cover but decided against it. And Hungarian is a nice language.

Holy pomo.

>on the right
Both are pretty generic paperbacks though. The one on the right is more "uniform" though, since it lacks unique artwork. I'm reading that one now and it's amazing how well the japanese can describe sexual situations.

Legend of the Galactic Heroes books two and three-Yoshiki Tanaka
The Melancholy of Resistance-László Krasznahorkai
Woman in the Dunes-Kobo Abe
The Face of Another-Kobo Abe

Rate.
I'm making the Abe books and Melancholy part of my summer reading along with Ulysses and Moby Dick.

Nobody replied to mine either user

I'll reply to yours.

Generic maybe, but kind of on point in its minimalism.
I've only read Mishima and thought he does it quite beautifully even when it's icky straight sex.

>/pol/ thinking some fucking graphic novel is better than Joyce or Faulkner

never change

June 17 I'm pretty sure it's pinned in the discord channnel

It's a pretty good graphic novel. Don't know what /pol/ has to do with Jodorowsky.

I'm reading that twin peaks book right now and it is terrible. a review I read summed it up perfectly as it shows us how awful twin peaks would be without lynch.

Memes

That Zizek is really good.

ive already read Billy Budd. I don't plan on reading Decameron anytime soon.

pleb-tier but you're trying. some Veeky Forums-tier french books are Germinal, La Princesse de Cleves, & la poesie de Rimbaud. If you want mid-tier try Extension du domain de la lutte or Les fleurs du mal

Dick is the GOAT and makes up for the rest of your stack

i unironically want to read the pale king and nothing else of wallace's work

horrible. M&D seems like fun though and GR was pretty good.

throw everything away except Plato. read 5D before Republic.

goofy

on a weird fiction kick lately

Can someone explain why on Veeky Forums everybody seems to read only literary fiction and philosophy and no history?

>Reading anime books