Veeky Forums 2017 top 100 poll results!

Hello Veeky Forums! It's me, the polling user, back at you again with the results of the poll.

I closed voting 1 week ago and since have been spending my time counting the votes and constructing the graphic. I had to get some help from my friend, who will remain nameless, but to whom I owe endless thanks and gratitude.

In the first couple days of polling, I accidentally left the poll in such a state that it was possible to vote multiple times. Accordingly, I was able to go through and, by hand, compare votes that appeared to be made arbitrarily close to one another, or had suspicious parallels in style and content. Thus, I have conflated the votes that seemed too suspicious to be true. I've spent a lot of hours on this, and I can confidently say that next to no legitimate votes were affected and illicit votes were reduced to a negligible minimum.

I've also received a number of fake titles and authors, some of which were amusing. I saw a Gregory Berrycone or two, a number of plays on Thomas Pynchon's name, and youtubers. While I had to discount these votes, I have to say they brought a smile to my face as I was laboring over this for you guys.

Anyways, this is the last of me you'll be seeing for a while, but sometime next year we can conduct another poll...

Anyways, signing off,
The Polling user

P.S. How many out of 100 have you read?

Other urls found in this thread:

google.com/amp/s/amp.reddit.com/r/books/comments/595anx/lit_top_100_2016_edition/
imgur.com/gallery/4vOzM
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

tfw only 35/100

also here are some bonus results

oh shit this actually happened

thanks polling user

>Infinite Jest dropped to 42

what did he mean by this?

You god damn liars

I actually kinda like it better than the previous iteration, but a few books are missing--books that are talked about all the time here.

>no mein lampf
>no ego and its own
>no on women (Schopenhauer)
>no protocols of the elder of Zion

this is a redditor list

>BCE
>CE

Veeky Forums is a Catholic board, pls change

And no lolita at all. Wasn't it in the top five? I understand OP just sorted through data, but having that missing seems to misrepresent the board (that joke was, until now, unintentional).

I'm gonna be honest with you. This list is shit we just did 2016 4 or 5 months ago. Kill yourself. Disregard this list everyone.

Just use all the Veeky Forums top 100 lists from the last few years. Its a guide not an absolute.

I know but we honestly should have waited longer.

9/100

Fuck I'm not Veeky Forums anymore

who the fuck votes for stendhal and madame bovary-type shit? the fuck is wrong with you? don quixote should be higher. we need to get pedro paramo on the board

also - complete works of shakespeare is sort of cheap

the list changed a lot, probably because we had a big influx of members from /pol/ and reddit after the election

just look at dfw at 42...Veeky Forums ain't what it used to be that's for sure

the difference is probably mostly due to fewer votes

Women and men hahahaha top zozz!

I'd like to think this is Tommy himself having a giggle.

Nobody took voting serious because we just made the 2016 chart 3 months ago

can you post it?

Lmao we made it March 15th hahahaha OP you are a fucking idiot

>we made the 2016 chart in March 2017

user do you have downs?

Google lit top 100 and you clearly see it was at least 7 months old

google.com/amp/s/amp.reddit.com/r/books/comments/595anx/lit_top_100_2016_edition/

>the difference is probably mostly due to fewer votes

I voted and none of my votes got on the list. Seeing as it was based on a point system, atleast my first choice would've showed up if there were few people voting. The 2015 didn't have that many people for instance, I think, and so some books got on the list with only 1 or so votes. This is a weird list.

I definitely prefer this one

Veeky Forums definitely has more people now than befote. we've had a lot of influxes from reddit and other boards. if be surprised if there were fewer votes

too anglo

Veeky Forums is the cucktholick board, so no.

The Red and the Black was published in 1830, not 1930.

>we've had a lot of influxes from reddit and other boards

Based on the list, so it seems. It's a good thing they all took Veeky Forums's advice to start with the greeks, though, I guess.
>Homer, Euripides, Sophocles, Aeschylus all on the list, all of them before The Aeneid lmao
>IJ #42
>Ishiguro has 2 novels on the list
>Silence was made into a movie last year so that's probably why it's on the list
>that last row (deeply insulting to mcrelroy to be put there)
>Cormac McReddit has 2 books on the list
>Liu Cixin = literally w h o

what the fuck
is this reddit fucking with us?

At least mcelroy made it on the list even though it was just his meme book. I would have put a smugglers bible on the list but I didn't vote because it was too soon. Glad to see gaddis moving up.

Silence was popular here way before the movie came out.

>Zettels Traum
>tfw memed again
Fuck off, nobody here has actually read it.

(You): are a MaD brain=let.

Damn I thought we might be able to get Warlock on there this year. I like Lonesome Dove but it's not in the same league.
Two years in a row without Flann O'Brien is disappointing.
Pleased to see Willa Cather represented, though My Ántonia would be my choice.
The Unconsoled is an eye-brow raiser, doesn't seem to me to be in the top-3 most talked about Ishiguro novels on Veeky Forums.

DFW's recent fall from grace has been a joy to behold.

Wow I'd say this is the best one yet. Best looking too. Good work!

The one from pre 2015 had Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep and even fucking Hitchhikers Guide on it. This board has become more pretentious not less. Fucking lurk more faggot.

One time I said let's make an alternate list. It won't be the top 100 just an alternate. You can have 5 picks all can't be from the current top 100. I was laughed off of Veeky Forums.

While interesting, this list cant have anyones favourite books of 2017 as its not even half over fuckwit.
If you were the same shit that made the one last year, why make it 6 months early?
Was it some attempt to get attention and lots of (you)s?

It obviously was

>#3 the bible

tryhard as fuck

They got Pale Fire at least

2/100

Is Silence still worth reading if I've already seen the movie?

Do you think seeing the movie will ruin the book for me?

yes, the movie was fine but the book is much better. Seeing the movie won't ruin it for you.

Yeah.... old Veeky Forums was better if this is representative of /pol/'s shitty exodus across all boards.

This is the most patrician list we've ever had
Bravo Veeky Forums

>The Stranger falls off the list from #13, The Fall is a new entry at #51
>Siddhartha and Steppenwolf fall off the list from #24 and #40, Glass Bead Game is a new entry at #29

Doesn't seem credible to me. OP fucked smething up.

The new voting system fucked everything up, i dont know why they used that point system

Yeah, this list is really strange including what said, plus how Everything Flows made it on there and not Life and Fate, and how Gormenghast is above LotR, and how fucking Lolita is nowhere to be found. There's definitely a greater focus on classical classical stuff like the Greeks, the Decameron, Rabelais etc., but also more sci-fi/fantasy shit at the same time. Are these the result of a smaller sample size leading to greater deviation or what? Some of the changes are good for sure, but to me Lonesome Dove is not a top 100 book by any stretch of the imagination

Fucking 'ell who voted for Feast of the Goat? It's passable but hardly worthy, War at the End of the World or Death in the Andes are so much better

>This board has become more pretentious not less
>pretentious
This exposes the redditor.

I am not a redditor, and I think you're wrong.

Especially not this brainlet pseud

someone post this on imgur

>we need to get pedro paramo on the board
Fuck yes, we need the Rulfo Works on Veeky Forums

I can't help but feel that this OP has made their own top 100 and is shilling as polling user. Especially given how it's only been a few months since the 2016 list.

> I have conflated the votes that seemed too suspicious to be true
i.e. "pedoshits are voting Lolita and this triggers me so I discarded those votes"

BUILD

WALL

>Red and Black over Bovary
>Aeschylus over Sophocles
This
>Euripides over Aeschylus
>Canterbury above the Decameron
Veeky Forums you fucked up too hard this time.

>no lolita

No Turgenev, no Yourcenar

Filthy casuals

>no Mason & Dixon
bit sad that

Though I'm sad to see Lolita excluded from the list, and Finnegans Wake included, I have to say this is one of the better top 100 lists to come from Veeky Forums, which is all the more surprising given the state of this place lately.

wtf how can lolita not be on there

OP is a biased faggot for sure

finnegans wake is memed to #4

wtf lmfao

OP literally said they discarded votes based on how they felt. So it is very likely they altered the result to have Lolita removed. The list does look more Christian friendly than previous years.

Was the original voting thread for 2017 posted and bumped at peak times on week days or on and including weekends. Veeky Forums gets extra shitty on the weekends. We have higher quality Anons here on weekdays in late afternoons through the evening in my opinion.

A new years top 100 should be done in the last quarter of the year so around Oct/Nov of 2017.

Maybe Veeky Forums is finally starting to get some goddamn taste

>Bible is in top 3

You people are so hilariously pretentious it almost hurts.

>all these Japanese books
Embarrassing.

>complete works of Shakespeare
When the fuck did this become an option?

Whats wrong with Japanese literature? Are you one of those faggots that's so terrified of being called a weeb that you just decide to hate everything Japanese?

>moby-dick down to number 8
what fucke

Very happy to see Petersburg on there as I voted for it. My all time favorite book

>Whats wrong with Japanese literature?
I shouldn't have to answer that.
>Are you one of those faggots that's so terrified of being called a weeb that you just decide to hate everything Japanese?
I hate everything Japanese because it's bad and only ever relevant because it's Japanese.

Japan doesn't make good anything (outside of craft, like teapots I guess) but this boards always loads down their favorites lists with Japanese shit because it's Asian but accessible. Same with Truffaut and Godard back in the 60s, Japan is just Asia light for westerners.

>Faust at 15, Finnegans Wake at 5, and Ulysses at 1
>Infinite Jest at 42

Good list.

>Butthurt Chinese faggot detected.

Same, finally on a top list. Good list overall desu. I'm not sure why people are upset about lolita, is it just because it's one of the few books they've read?

Yeah Petersburg deserves more love. I'm not sure either, desu I prefer a few other of Nabokov's works to Lolita.

This looks a bit more credible.

2014: #5
2015: #8
2016: #5

Still get almost daily threads about it. It's not plausible that 100 books got more votes than Lolita.

>Red and the Black on a redditor list

Much as I hate this list and the imgur flood it will bring, I do appreciate that Stendahl, Jin Yong, Llosa, new Grossman, Kawabata, Endo, and Remains of the Day are on it.

Seeing Grossman on it was a pleasant surprise. Everything Flows is one of my favorite reads so far this year.

>book of the new sun getting higher each year
Wolfe memesters wins again

I'm on this stupid board every hour of the day and I never saw a voting thread. If you're going to bait us with this shit list at least make it believable by not loading it with your shitty nip lit.

At least China knows it's place of "Kung-fu I guess."

you missed it bud not our fault

Too many non males on the list

I call bullshit, the thread was open for half a day

>At least China knows it's place of "Kung-fu I guess."

What did he mean by this?

these were both top 10 the last time OP mentioned the numbers this shit was cooked

imgur.com/gallery/4vOzM

TOP KEK

>women taking up 6 (six) spots

Fuggin liberals I swear

lmao EPIC DISCORD WIN!

so can we ban on sight all discord posters now?

lol idgaf they made a good list

delete this

>Fucking 'ell who voted for Feast of the Goat?

the book had its weaknesses but Trujillo was a very compelling portrait of a mad dictator with his own strange code of patriotic ethics

unfortunately none of the rest of the characters were quite as compelling

fuck off winston

take your discord faggotry back to discord

the list is good so idgaf about le eben prankz but you faggots needs to stop /soc/ posting here