Stout/porter/beer general

I have changed from red wine only, to drinking mostly dark beer. Im looking for suggestions for new beers to taste but also food that pairs well with darker types of beer.

Also beer general

samuel smiths stout is the only liquid you need to drink

Also what is this with local beers being the best beer of choice? Does the transportation mess things up?

Yesno. Heat, light, and pasteurization are noticeable but all are nearly as likely to happen to local brews as national ones.

It's mainly the burger joint problem, where national brands all standardized around a simple, cheap, not particularly intricate style.
It's starting to change now that many "local" brands have gone national or been bought out and not fucked with too hard, but just like wine, as the size of the brewery decreases the odds of the brewer being allowed to follow his own weird autism increases, and just like wine that produces a lot of utter swill but once you find one that matches your autism you'll swear by it and beg friends back home to airmail you bottles if you ever move.

Slightly above the regular Yeti! Just a tad better!

I had beef tips and onions with this and it was fuckin fantastic

This is actually pretty good.

Yo beer snobs. What the fuck is the difference between a "citra dry hopped saison" and an ipa with dry hopped citra?

Also, is there an actual difference between a stout and porter?

Do these companies just make shit up?

You have got to be swedish, Lund?

Saison and IPAs traditionally different malt bills and most notably different yeasts. Saison ferments at very high temperatures which leads to some interesting tastes you're not gonna find somewhere else.

Swede yes. not Lund. Stigbergets makes great beers!

Fresh beer is the best beer. There's also a sense of pride in your state when you drink local shit that's decent.

Porter has its barley roasted while stouts do not

various "stout" levels were traditionally a marketing description of porter, which is a fairly flexible name for aged ales.

at one point the english often used roasted, brown, and pale malt while the irish universally used just roasted and pale, and the marketing diverged. later the english variant died out due to wartime rationing. so revival porters will typically use all three while traditional stouts will typically be guinness expies and use only the two, but there's nothing requiring that either swing in any given direction.

>Yo beer snobs. What the fuck is the difference between a "citra dry hopped saison" and an ipa with dry hopped citra?
One's an IPA and one's a saison. They are pretty different tasting types of beer, you seem to be looking at ones that just happen to use the same hops.

>Also, is there an actual difference between a stout and porter?
>Do these companies just make shit up?
You can google this but the most common conclusion is that, these days, it's basically just whatever the brewer wants to call it.

See if you can find some bock or better yet dopplebock.

Dark beer is not a flavor. Dark beer can be a lot of different flavors depending the style. A bock will taste very different from a milk stout, dunkelweizen, etc.

>Fresh beer is the best beer.

Everyone who brews lagers and traditional IPA's would call you a fucking retard.

That isn't true at all.

St Peter's Honey Porter with some Lincolnshire Poacher and crackers.

>check RateBeers top rated beers
>8 of the top 10 are imperial stouts
>check BeerAdvocate
>7 out of top 10 are imperial stouts

I feel bad for anyone who doesn't know any better checking these sites for "the best beers". its literally just stouts and tripe double quad IPAs, and maybe 1% belgian styles. The memes are too much.

Had some pizza and Allagash Fluxus 2017 today, it was pretty delicious. I wanted some Bretta Weisse but they were out of it. I've been into sours lately.

That glass, it looks like FFVII meteor except Earth meteor? Plz say it so!

Op here, im lund

Those are the best styles though. If you want complexity, look for imperial stouts, double IPAs and quads.

Your an idiot

>det finns 2 andra lundabor med ölintresse på 4kanalen
ganska rolig slump

>general

Lundabryggerier up in this bitch

svarte petter (och fatlagrade versionen) var de enda riktigt bra ölen från lundabryggeriet favä, allt annat var ganska mediokert

DUDE

Ja, det är lite synd. Bra svensk öl är annars poppels och gotlandsbryggerier. Dansk öl är ju att föredra

poppels är helt ok - omnipollo, stigbergets, beerbliotek & brewski är väldigt bra också. under 00-talet var danskarna definitivt framför oss men t.ex. omnipollo är lika uppskattad som mikkeller internationellt nuförtiden

>What the fuck is the difference between a "citra dry hopped saison" and an ipa with dry hopped citra?
one is a saison, the other is an IPA, check the style descriptors
>Also, is there an actual difference between a stout and porter?
not really
stout used to be a stronger version of porter ("stout porter"), which then became much more popular than stout itself, and later got weaker because of wartime shortages, to the point where now there is basically no difference between stouts and porters

Du verkar ha koll. Har provat en del av de du räknar upp, de är tyvärr lite väl dyra. Köper mest sigtuna och poppels. Tycker att det finns en del kul på det tillfälliga sortimentet. Den här rökölen är grymt bra

>Du verkar ha koll
har haft över 1000 olika öl

>de är tyvärr lite väl dyra
sant (när man är så insatt som jag är väl det inget problem...)

>Den här rökölen är grymt bra
Schlenkerlas ölar är utmärkta, det är synd att Märzen försvann ur ordinarie sortimentet

kan även rekommendera att göra en beställning till lokal butik online, finns mycket intressant i andra läns Lokala och småskaliga sortiment. Bearded Rabbit & Emmaboda är två mindre kända bryggerier som är bra

It's because those sites appeal to enthused new craft beer drinkers, hence the bias towards massive beers with bold and obvious flavours.

these styles just happen to be the most falvourful and complex
a good pilsner can be very tasty, but if it directly competes with some barrel aged russian imperial stout it will always be rated lower

you can always just sort the ratings by styles

When was the last time you went for a pint with your dad Anons?

Complex doesn't have to mean being bludgeoned over the head by the sort of boozy monsters that are selected for by new craft drinkers.

>dad and me will never be bros

>delicious milk stout
The best ghost brand you have never seen.

bout half a year ago

you just can't achieve a certain level of complexity without an aged beer, and weak beers tend to age badly

I went and bought 1 of each beer at the store the other day.

So far, they all taste the same, the light lagers.

Starting to realize that lager is for drinking when youre thirsty, stout for when you want to enjoy a beer.
What else is there? IPA for hipster status?

A month ago

If you are in the states there are quite a few good micro stouts

>Left Hand Milk stout
>Left Hand Milk stout nitro
6 of one half a dozen of the other, the nitro version has a smoother mouthfeel and is smoother overall, but the flavors arent as pronounced. I like the regular version better.
>Bells Kalamazoo stout
A good stout brewed with some licorice
>Jackie O's Java the Stout
A great coffee stout

Those are 3 of my favorites. That being said, classic brown ales or bitter browns pair alot better with food. Most people that enjoy stouts, like browns as well. They share some similar aspects, vut tend to be less sweet.

I like ales personally.

Lots of different lagers m8. I drink stouts in the fall and winter for that roastiness. Ipas and hoppy lagers all summer long though. A wheat beer or two will come along sometimes as well. Very few Belgians are worth the price imo. La fin du monde is the best bang for your buck in the states I think.

macrobrew light lagers all taste like shit
there's more to beer than lagers and stouts
try some belgian or german styles, craft beer can be great too and isn't just hoppy IPAs like some would have you believe

Question for Trappist beer enthusiasts.

I bought some Rochefort beer a month ago and keep them in my fridge which is like at 4 degrees C.

Should I keep them in my cellar where it's like 10 degrees, so that it will age better? Or will that make it worse? I've read somewhere that keeping yeast-heavy beers in cold environments is not beneficial, since the cold prevents the yeast from doing its thing and adding flavor and complexity to the beer as it ages.

I want to try St. Bernandus, but they only sell the 750 ml where I live for like $10

should I still try it?

Can anyone here give me a straight answer on how much drinking is too much? Is it really bad to drink every day? I don't wanna ask the fucking alckies

It's too much when you lose control and let it control you rather than the other way around.

One of my favorites. Wish it were easier to find around where I live.

>Trading red vino for stout

we get 330 ml for 3$ over here, and they're great at that price
I'd say it's probably worth it, one of the better quads out there

So what is that in beers per week?

If you're asking it that way, you probably don't have anything to worry about in the way of a drinking problem.

I think so too, want to see how drunk I'll be when I finish

and I'm a huge fan of quads

It's different for everyone dipshit. Some people could drink 4 bottles everyday and be fine, others could have 6 every weekend and end up dependent.
Addiction doesn't have a hard and fast turning point like a video game.

go back to bant francophile

you should treat it as a master-slave relationship.

if you start using it almost constantly because you have the blues or are depressed, then it's a bad idea

I like how you can see the church key and the bottle cap in the reflection. I'm going to put this on my list based on this picture alone. Thanks.

Brewer here. Usually people go

Dark beers => brown ale => wheat => IPA => lighter beers like ESB, kolsch, lagers

this is fact. strong ales age well, dont forget.

Do heavy, hoppy beers lead to headaches, or am I just crazy

For me they do.
Most American beers give me headaches actually

Monday

no fucking idea mate sorry
i would imagine cellaring them would be better but i have no real basis for that other than it's what people do to age wines

if you get drunk every day it's bad

recently I had founder's breakfast stout and left hand nitro milk stout which were both good. also stone russian imperial stout and abita bourbon street stout which were also pretty good.

why would you go from drinking good beer to shitty ones?

Thats cheap mang, I spent 16 bucks on a pint of Mikellers.

This is spot on for me

Oh God, I love me some Samuel Smith stout. I'll have to remember to head to a pub before I leave London and grab a pint or three. Hopefully my nose will stop being clogged soon so I can taste it properly.

I recently tried the white dogs' stout. I wasn't displeased at all.

>Oh God, I love me some Samuel Smith stout. I'll have to remember to head to a pub before I leave London and grab a pint or three. Hopefully my nose will stop being clogged soon so I can taste it properly.

It's the logo of razethew0rld/the tek or whatever. It doesn't exist anymore after a lot of drama, but it was a channel about technology/computers/gaming on youtube.

t. /g/-fag