I have a question of morals for you, Veeky Forums

I have a question of morals for you, Veeky Forums.
I go to a top 30 university yet am forced to take out loans to continue my education.
Currently I am in my undergraduate, sadly I don't expect to ever make much money at all, though I do wish to get a Ph.D, eventually.
What would you say to a man, let's suppose a version of myself in the future, who, after wracking up tens of thousands of dollars worth of debt and attaining a Ph.D, then moved to say, Canada, to become a permanent resident and later a citizen, renouncing his citizenship to the U.S and "escaping" those loans in the process?
All loans are taken out in my name only, no one else would have to pay them back.
Has anyone here done this?

Other urls found in this thread:

reuters.com/article/us-immigrants-more-depressed-than-those-idUSTRE7335VJ20110404
vice.com/en_us/article/talking-to-american-debt-dodgers-who-moved-to-europe-to-avoid-paying-off-their-student-loans-111
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I would say don't fuck with the bankers unless you have their balls in a vicegrip.

As far as morality where wealth is concerned, I say do whatever the fuck you want. Avarice and corruption run amok anyhow.

I've read articles of people that have escaped their grasp before- I should mention that all my loans are federal only.
Thank you, that mirrors my feelings toward the situation. I may not be knowledgeable enough for a full ride, or rich enough for my familial ties to handle it on my behalf, but I don't think that means I should be happy to pay so exorbitantly for an education.

Wait. You're doing a Phd and you won't be able to get a decent salary and repay debts?
What is the point of these 25 years of "education" then?
Jeez, start thinking about a sustainable future instead of betting on getting away with that.

As far as the morality of the situation, well you choose a shitty major and asked money for it.
If you don"t pay back, that's theft.
Now you can try to argue that it was unfair and so on and I do feel sympathy for that. But it is still theft.
You chose to invest, you asked money to do it, it failed. Take some responsibility.

>What would you say to a man, let's suppose a version of myself in the future, who, after wracking up tens of thousands of dollars worth of debt and attaining a Ph.D, then moved to say, Canada, to become a permanent resident and later a citizen, renouncing his citizenship to the U.S and "escaping" those loans in the process?

Don't do this. Trust me.

t. did that, now cant go home

I don't wish to live for temporal successes, nor do I find this country worthy of debt repayal-most especially so in comparison to other lands of the first world. I see no reason to suffer unduly in pursuit of knowledge based upon my place of birth. My undergraduate degree is Classics, yet I have no wish to teach below the university level, and the pursuit of archaeology would again simply carry me out of my own country into the welcoming bosom of that Mediterranean Mother. I have no interest in law, either, and see no reason to not simply gain a position at a small, quaint university in Canada, the United Kingdom, or any other country of similar standing, instead of having the weight of my tuition hang over my head like a Sword of Damocles until I'm likely claimed by the hands of untimely death.

He is following the herd, and the herd asay "get a degree!! your value as a human depends on it!!" then when he graduates and falls into the real world everyone will laugh at him for joining the ranks of the overeducated but under experienced and thus underemployed masses.

WOW ITS ALMOST AS IF THIS COULD BE APPLIED AS A HARSH TRUTH TO SO MANY PEOPLE ON THIS BOARD, I WONDER WHO COULD BENEFIT FROM READING SUCH WORDS

Did it work, user? I have no wish to return home, for my childhood was shoddy at best, and malignant at worst.
I have one question, though I never wish to return for an extended period, do you think I would be able to return for a week or so to visit, to wish those family and friends happy birthday, merry christmas, to enjoy the bountiful joys of thanksgiving with them? Even if I could only stay a day, I am interested in your answer.

Running from legitimate debts within the federal system is unethical. Morals are pussy ideology tools. But what you're doing spites the very system that made possible your pursuit of education.

You say that now, but you are stupid and young. and cannot predict the way your future self will react to this compulsive and life altering decision. If you were following your passion then youd go with it, but youre just trying to be lazy and think academia is a substitute for getting a job.

And no, the man always gets his money, no matter how far you try to run. This is why we have credit ratings. Your "genius" teenager plans will haunt you for the rest of your life.

What if "The Man" has no legal grounds for collecting this money? How will he get it? What happens when "The Man" gets caught with an egg on his face, in an entirely unethical, grossly illegal, and a scandal of the sort that will possess life-altering ramifications? Just wondering. How would "The Man" handle that?

Banks are transnational corporations, and they have already thought out every angle of this plan long before you were even born. You are not as smart as you think. Pay your debts, or you will regret it some day.

Stupid and young I am indeed, but I am following my passion. I simply acknowledge that likely won't ever be lucrative enough for myself to pay it back timely, if ever, in this country.

Are you the same user as before? If so, could you explain why it didn't work? Is it simply credit ratings? Sources found online seem to indicate they do not follow you into different countries, as different countries have different systems. Has your evidence been to the contrary? If so, what country have you taken residence in?

What is this passion that requires you to spend thousands of dollars on an education, but isn't going to make you any money?

I think he's implying what happens when government is involved in an illegal scandal that has beneficiaries but don't want to be caught and brought to light as the criminals they are. How do they collect the lost money without revealing the scandal?

Personally I don't think its possible. Oh, wait, it isn't possible.

>What is the morality of the situation guys?
>JK I've already decided that I won't be accountable for my decisions because I don't want any responsibility in this shitty system. So I'll keep paying to study books and then I'll teach others what I learn because I am unable to provide value in the real world.
>That's right: my plan is to teach the next generation to be as worthless as I am. This incestuous pyramid scheme that we call education will be solved by the next generation.
Whatever, dude. But that's how you sound to me. You're a coward, arrogant and resentful. Don't get me wrong, you have all the reasons to be that way. But don't think that it will end well for you.

I will clarify, this user is not myself.
In addition, the loans I use are entirely federal. No private banks are involved, simply the U.S government. Articles are out there of those who have escaped at this very moment-their usual complaint being that they cannot return home, which is not too troubling a prospect for myself.

Is that really a thing you can do? Wouldn't it still destroy your credit and such? And wouldn't it make it impossible to go back to the US, to visit family and the like?

t. finished top 30 university and PhD, still has debt

Classics, user, I should have clarified. My fault.
Thank you for the insight into my myself, user. But why do you think it will not end well? That's far more interesting than anything about myself, as that deals in a good amount of people who, too, have considered and/or carried out this option.

Different countries have different credit systems, at least it seems to be that way, user.
As for the visiting, I wonder if it is possible to attain a new I.D, and a new passport, possibly a change of name from whatever country I so land and take root in. How would the U.S be able to tell if I came back on vacation to visit family under said conditions?

No, is me, and is right. What I'm asking is how does government/banks collect debts if they're involved in a scandal and attempting to collect will merely reveal their involvement?

What scandal do you speak of, user?
It sounds interesting, if unrelated to the matter at hand.

Look maybe I'm all projecting. But I would not advise you to flee responsibility and accountability. Maybe you'll make it nonetheless and without trouble, but I fear that you are refusing to face the shitty reality you found yourself in. This can prime you to a way of being that I would not reccommend.
In any case, good luck with your life.

Its purely hypothetical. Its a thought exercise in which an agency can't collect debts because they were

a) loaned illegally

b) corrupt

and could not attempt to collect from an individual without shooting themselves in the foot.

As in, any attempt to do so would prompt an immediate response from the individual in terms of legality and spark a multi-million dollar lawsuit that they just can't afford.

But what state of being is that?
Ah, that's interesting. Do you mind expanding more on the premises of "loaned illegally" and "corrupt"? Are there any examples of government agencies utilizing malevolent loan practices?

>loaned illegally

A backroom deal. No record of it.

>corrupt

Loan is there to see on paper, but appears that the individual is in no debt at all legally, because the nature of their debt is illegal and "off the books".

Ah, I see. Thank you for expounding on that.

Fuck you I earned every penny of that shit, its not like you fucking handed it to me.

Dude, what?

No problem. Does this user have an answer to the thought experiment? Or you?

What kind of schizophrenic logic are you operating on?

Why don't you just move to another country and still pay back your debts.

I suppose the same brand that understood perfectly?

Where is this "illegal" loan nonsense coming from?

Well I guess if you're retarded, you couldn't comprehend the workings of high society and the possibility that a large sum of capital could be loaned through nepotism with no record, and no possibility of asset recovery.

But you're not retarded, are you?

user, why would I do that? I don't hold any special allegiance in my heart to this country.
I do not have an answer, unfortunately. Political philosophy, matters of law, and economics, are, as you can likely tell by my making of this thread-far from my specialty.
If you want essays on poets and philosophers from around the time of Homer until say, Dante, I'm at your beck and call. Anything else is out of my range, it seems.

Did you not see his comment about credit ratings? They will collect it via the exorbitant interest rates you'll be paying if you ever take out a mortgage, lease, loan, or purchase anything without paying 100% up front for the rest of your life.

There is no possible way to charge "exorbitant" interest rates if you have no actual record of a loan. I.e., no actual changes to credit.

If an individual is intelligent, and cultivates a proper approach to the situation, how would someone who ISN'T the same person crash his credit? Please, do tell?

The relevance of that to OPs decision to skip out on fully legal federal loans is....?

Its not, you fucking retard. Take two seconds to scroll up and you can see where this discussion spawned.

Beyond that, a bad credit rating will actually lock you out of the market on most of those things.

i'm sorry but no, your logic is not clear and I have no idea what your rambling about "illegal loans" has to do with the subject at hand. Apparently neither do you since you keep avoiding answering this very simple question.

Yes, that's not the point. How is an off the books loan going to affect your credit? It won't. In case you missed it, the "It won't." part, that's the point.

What "off the books loan" are you talking about?

Well, since you're a simpleton, I'll highlight it for you.

Some guy asked this question then this guy responded to him. It proceeds from there. If you can't follow it, I'm sorry, maybe you'll get more intelligent in the future.

Can you read homie?

Wow, its so complicated.

You misunderstood point entirely, being that a government could not demand payments from someone outside of their jurisdiction

Your inane rant about illegal loans is pure nonsense that contributes nothing to this threead and doesnt even seem to be based on reality

If you borrowed from the government you're fucked. That is literally the only kind of loan that can't be wiped without paying it back. If you borrowed a million dollars from literally anyone else you could do as the bankers do to get out of paying it back. If they can do it legally then so should you. Honoring your debts on principle is ridiculous when people are bound to different rules within the same country

Also there is a trend of American students moving to say Germany then arranging for a friend in the USA to have their debts paid off at a fraction of what they owed. Like 5k instead of 50k.

I'm all for screwing the Jews but you are just a double nigger.

I dunno, he seems pretty clear to me, especially if you take how and myself understood perfectly. I think its you, guy.

You, a delusional schizo, and OP, a delusional manchild, make for good company then. Enjoy living in your fantasy world.

And you, a pedantic whiny anonymous forum poster, have insulted thin air. How laborious your task in attempting to tear down a simple though experiment with vitriolic insults, attacking the person instead of the argument. I hope you take time to reflect on the fact that you did this, and it contributed nothing to your life.

Have a nice day.

Why does it being "wiped out" matter if I plan on never returning to live here, or even staying for an extended period? Can, or rather would they enter another country to hunt me for my debts? I've never heard of it, personally, but I'd be interested if it does happen.
What particularly makes me a "double nigger"?
Is it the refusal to pay back the government for my education? The want to be free from said responsibility? Were I given a choice between that of being a man by the name double nigger, living in a cheap flat in the rural U.K with no great debt upon his head, or a man in the united states with my own name as his calling card and 25,000 dollars worth of debt, well, surely, I think I'd like to be called a double nigger.

>Why does it being "wiped out" matter if I plan on never returning to live here,

there is a reason depression and suicide rates are high amongst expats and emigrants

Then you should've taught yourself at a library instead of paying tens of thousands at a university.

I can tell by the way you write that you're no where near man enough to "le move to muh austere life in the woods meme"

Your prose sucks, you're a faggot, stop larping and accept the fact that you're going to make payments on your loans.

Also if you really go to a top 30 university then we've fallen farther than I thought.

>living in a cheap flat in the rural U.K

You have no idea how miserable and depressing a lifestyle that is

Stop thinking of yourself as a character in a movie. Plan your life financially as if you already have children. You can still do and learn all kinds of cool shit.

An article from reuters tells me that 17% of Mexican immigrants to the United States have experienced depression or anxiety, in comparison to American baseline of of 18%. They are, of course, rather close. Do you have any statistics for your case, user?
reuters.com/article/us-immigrants-more-depressed-than-those-idUSTRE7335VJ20110404
I suppose I should have, but I see no point in stopping now.
You can determine an entire man by the simple style of his writing? That's a pretty impressive skill, user. If my prose is bad that's quite alright, its not as though I'm writing an essay, merely asking a question on a peruvian sun watching forum. I'm not larping either, and see no reason to accept a fact that isn't even a fact-mostly in the way that, unlike death(which of course, happens to everyone) this scenario actually has different options, and others who have helped universities to "fall farther than you thought" have indeed done this before.
No more miserable or depressing than my current live packed with debts I cannot repay, I'm sure.

Well, you can repay your debts, but that involves getting a job.

You write like a semi-literate who's just discovered that subordinate clauses are possible. It's agonizing to read. I'm not saying this to insult you I'm begging you to stop for your own good. It's humiliating.

Well, I'm pretty thankful that you told me this, user, but I must admit-until I hear any complaints from a professor, a teacher's assistant, or someone of similar standing I don't think it wise to just "up and change" my writing style.

You are quite stupid.

I thank you for the insight.

That user's right
Ya talk like a fag and yer shit's all retarded

vice.com/en_us/article/talking-to-american-debt-dodgers-who-moved-to-europe-to-avoid-paying-off-their-student-loans-111
OP: The Article

>thinking you can run to Canada and escape the bankers
You'll have to go to some other shithole that's even less relevant.

>legal grounds
Surely the bankers give a shit about the law.

OP here, thanks user.
quite a good read.

>Many of the students I talked to fear the possible consequences of this strategy, but so far none of them have faced any repercussions. And according to some experts, they may never.

>Joshua R. I. Cohen, who calls himself The Student Loan Lawyer, tells me that this plan could work for some people, albeit only if the debt dodgers plan to never live in the US again. Students who move to a foreign country and stop paying off their loan debt "will only feel consequences if they're working for a US company on foreign soil," Cohen says.

If you're living abroad, earning a living from a foreign company, not paying US taxes, and not collecting social security, then loan companies can't touch you, nor will the government chase you after you move abroad.

>"The federal government doesn't have really strong tools for collecting debt from people who move overseas," says Mark Kantrowitz, another expert on student loans who serves on the board of the Journal of Student Financial Aid. "In theory, you could live the rest of your life in another country."

This settles it, I'm moving. Thanks, user!

>This settles it, I'm moving. Thanks, user!

Imagine being this desperate to larp and "be right" on Veeky Forums

mfw OP gets deported for some fucking stupid reason and faces the consequences

Your plan is predicated on being worth not only your salary but also visa sponsorship and all the hassle that entails to a university that already has an oversized pool of graduates who can probably write without sounding like a twat. And good luck actually becoming a citizen. Enjoy being paranoid forever about job security because losing your job means getting deported into the loving arms of debt collectors.
And let's not forget that the cost of living is so high over there that you might as well stay and pay your debt like a mature adult who understands cause and effect.

>a mature adult who understands cause and effect

oh, the irony

If you do well in undergrad, you should not end up with any debt for gradschool. Competitive candidates can score full funding and stipends in any field.

"I'm here too apply for Canadian citizenship"
"Ah, excellent my good sir, I'll just have to check your records to see if you have a criminal record or any outstanding debts before you can enrol... Ah says here you owe $40,000US in students loans. Not to worry, this happens all the time. I'll just transfer that debt to your new Canadian citizenship, you'll now have to pay $53,000 CAD to the Bank of Canada. Enjoy your life here."

tfw having a PhD and being unable to make a few bucks.

ivory tower thinking before you've even otten into that tower.

get a grip ffs./

At the end of the day, it's a matter of personal principles, integrity and character. Forget about the possible consequences, it's simply a question about who you are as a man.

In other words, would the ghost of Diogenes come knocking at your door in broad daylight with a lamp, exicted that he finally found a true man?

"Ah, that's a mistake, see, those aren't loans. I worked for them. Look and see, there's employment records. Dunno why they're classified as loans."

I wonder if that works. I guess you'd have to be a dirty, dirty dog to try it.

>leaving your home country, family and friends behind because you wanted an admittedly useless piece of paper
hahaha I'm legit losing my sides reading this thread. if this wasn't absurd enough, we have OP's autistic prose and gall as the icing on the cake

is this the power of a humanities degree?