Hows that poem/short story/novel coming Veeky Forums?

hows that poem/short story/novel coming Veeky Forums?
how many lines/words/pages and how long have you been writing it?

I've been working on the same story for two years and I'm at about 10,000 words depending on the draft. It feels like a cancerous growth these days. I don't much like it anymore but I have put so much into it at this point I can't just cast it off.

Other urls found in this thread:

imgur.com/a/yuZQJ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

cast it off

Start afresh and don't allow yourself get into similar rut with the new one.

10k words in 2 years?
im at 35k, in 2 months, and the second of those months I've only written like 2-3 of the days

working on two books of poetry, nearing completion on one.

Only problem I see is publishing them. ;')

I've only been published 43 or so times (in low-mid tier outlets), is that enough to have some gatekeeper accept me?

whether I like the way it turns out or not I want to finish it. it's been my first real attempt at writing something and I want to see it through.

congratulations user, sounds like you are doing well with your writing. i would say I write daily but it's mostly shorter prose pieces and poems, this 10k proejct i have been working on and reworking only inconsistently over the past two years.

congratulations to you too user. i'm proud of you.

I'm not quite sure how to go about writing the next scene, even though I know what I want to happen. I'm scared of it not being as good as it could be, but the solution to that is to just do it. I could always scrap it and try again.

write a skeletal version of the scene. start with the objective, start with summary mode, get yourself an outline.

Working on some kind of autobiographical memoir/will/suicide note/idk and it took me an hour to write a page and a half. Its pretty shitty but I want to have something to leave behind if I ever actually do go through with killing myself. The notebook I'm writing in is like 256 pages long and I'm trying to fill the whole thing, or at least 100+ pages. Yes I'm a depressing special snowflake

Would anyone care to read my ~2k word story and provide some feedback?

Link: imgur.com/a/yuZQJ

Yeah this. Maybe you can revisit it after your experience with writing anew.

Not all words are equal. Editing may very well kill off a large chunk of words.

A lot of unnecessary adverbs but otherwise not terrible.

>10 year backlog of journals to dredge through for a glimmer of hope

eurgh

It's not a bad little thing as a whole, but your long sentences are awkwardly put together.

Set it to double line spacing, print it out, then try reading it aloud, either to someone or imagining that you are. See how the sentences feel when spoken. Make notes on the paper as you go, then edit them into the file after.

106k words and I don't know how I'm going to tie everything together. Maybe I won't and just call it postmodernism

Well. I am 220,000 words into my novel about a family that gets torn apart after the son commits a brutal murder.

I wrote this while working full time, moving to a new city, dating, makjng new friends, etc.

Stop making excuses.

I like it

Thank you.

Thank you. I will do that.

Thank you. Is there anything specific you like about it?

It's coming along in fits and starts.
17,000 words of this draft, built from 1,200 words of notation. I have 11,000 more words of notes to build on. That means I have enough material, at least in theory, to increase the MS by 156,000 words for a total of 173,000 but that's more than double what I'm aiming for, I'll definitely condense it.

Fuck off normo. Sounds shit anyway.

>le brootal murder

I bet there's a plot, you fucking retard.

bad post

I got an interview with a well known publisher this afternoon, so I am a bit ecstatic right now.

I finished my first novel last year and I spent the last months polishing it. It is a thriller, around 150k words long.

I just spent 20 minutes with two nice ladies who both encouraged and praised me, and gave me constructive criticisms regarding how I should reshape the whole thing.

So while they said they won't publish it as it is now, they did say they were highly interested with my work, and that I should send them an improved version as soon as possible.

It is both a vital validation for me (as it assures me that my work is not utter shit and that it can interest people that do not know me) and an incentive to get back to work.

Sorry for this awful post - both aesthetically and thematically. I'm a bit overwhelmed right now and I need to share.

That's really cool user, congratulations. What are the requested edits like?

Thanks user! They were rather precise: it felt to them that characters were not expanded on as much as they needed to in a thriller - their interpersonal relations and backgrounds felt too shallow.
Also, they said that while the story's ambition to encompass various plague of the modern world is one of the strenght of the novel, the different elements were not tightly enough interwoven. On this matter, they both thought that I should restructure the whole narration so as to underline more evidently what is the main storyline - to focus a bit more on essential plotpoints I think.

These are extremely solid advices; I think that's the difference between my friends, even those who are keen readers, and professionals.

All my writings are directionless constructions, routines, or unconscious streams. I can't write anything long form. I get too caught up in poetics. I'm probably never going to be a novelist in the traditional sense. I feel like everything in that category that's worthwhile has already been written.

The novel I'm still in the planning stages for is taking ages. I need to just sit down and do the fucking research. It's about a modern castration cult revival. I think the speaker is going to be journaling the activities of the character of interest. I just don't know how to connect them so that the speaker will have intimate knowledge of the other character's descent into religious fanaticism. I'm pretty optimistic that I can glean these sorts of details from primary sources dealing with this type of cult. Now I just need to get off here and take notes on my research materials. I feel like I'm stuck in endless revision of my fundamental research/writing methods to the point where I feel totally mired in an infinite plethora of historical events and religious characters. I still need to get a decent grasp on Russian Mysticism and the life of Saint Augustine.

Can anyone share research tips. Right now I'm taking notes (far too many). I'm planning on then doing second-order notes where I synthesize the first set of notes I've taken on the historical documents. I might even designate a final note taking period for synthesizing all the ideas. Then I can start. Maybe this is too convoluted. I have a feeling that most of my notes will go unused. I suppose masses of unused notes are behind many great works; The author just keeps them under wraps.

Started writing a short story based on an autistic concept that I came up with a month ago. It's not going to be anything amazing but I'm having fun so far.

so you didnt get an agent? you sent directly to publisher?

I've got the first draft of my first chapter done. About 5600 words - 22 pages. That took me about a week. Today I overhauled the beginning in order to front action and tie it more smoothly with exposition, added a more overt plot hook about halfway through, wrote some character sheets, and started writing a more detailed outline for the novel as a whole, because second chapters are fucking hard.

I finished a 6k short story like yesterday. But it's really underwritten in parts so alot will probably be added in a revision later on. But atleast I finally got started

Currently 93,600 words, more or less. On pre-BETA 2. I'll have been working on it for 4 years at the start of next month (12 concept-proofs, 4 outlines, 40 pages of schema and planning, 80 pages of research notes, 2 rough drafts, 1 fair draft, 11 official drafts). Once I finish this pre-beta, I'll give it one last-line edit and one final scan before sending it to my editor. If he okays the process, I have 6 beta-readers in my target demographic lined up to read it over the summer.
Over the autumn, I plan to work on the final manuscript.
Pic related is ~60-70% of the last four years of work on this project. Malcolm Lowry has kindly volunteered to conceal my name.

I finished another sonnet, hexameter, ballad and long free verse poem.

What's your schedule look like I'm interested. Do you take energy from your job?