For you, who are the most intelligent philosophers?

For you, who are the most intelligent philosophers?

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/dril/status/866709784539648001
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Definitely Foucault

Kant is a big guy.

The Tao Te Ching is probably the most intelligent book I ever read in my entire life.

Pelagius, Boethius, Confucius, Baudrillard

Castoriadis

Just read that nigga's biography.

Ayn Rand. Molyneux.

Most intelligent to me refers to the 2 philosophers who significantly contributed to many diverse disciplines and subjects. E.g. philosophers such as Mill or Bentham are very intelligent and influential in their field, but had little impact outside specific subjects.

So in this view I'd say Aristotle and Locke. Choosing Aristotle is self evident, seeing as he fundamentally influenced nearly all subjects for centuries (up until the 18/19th century really).

And why Locke? Well his views on politics (consent, social contract, natural rights, etc) and on ontology/epistemology (primary and secondary aspects, tabula rasa, empiricism, etc) still shape the current debate regarding these issues. But I would admit Locke could also be replaced by Hume or Kant for the same reasons.

Da Vinci, Leibniz, Peirce

Schopenhauer

In terms of intelligence, it must be natural scientists/mathematicians who also dabbled in philosophy, since pure philosophers such as Plato, Socrates, and Lao Tzu would be more properly termed "wise" or "mystical".

Therefore, the correct answers would be: Aristotle, Descartes, Leibniz

Spinoza, Sam Harris

>dubz
I think so too...

Aristotle. Nobody touches Aristotle. Nobody ever will.

Having said that, I've always had a soft spot in my heart for Anselm. He was a cool guy.

Best answer in this thread.

How do you deal with faggots who say that Aristotle was dumb because he didn't understand how gravity works?

> molymeme

Quote the man who came up with the first theory himself "if I have seen further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants".

Also, Newton was wrong. And Einstein is probably also wrong. Do you know how gravity works?

>Plato
>pure philosopher
>"Let no man ignorant in geometry enter"

>Einstein is probably wrong
Einstein presaged the discovery of phenomena that would render Relativity Theory obsolete. He wasn't wrong, he just chose to narrow the focus of his work to phenomena that could realistically be understood during his lifetime.

Aristotle and many other Greek philosophers who delved into science probably would have been wise to do the same, but unlike Einstein they weren't graced with being born into the era that could see the crest of the hill overhead, so to speak. So you can't really discount them for that.

How? I thought it had lost it's original meaning since nobody really knows the kind of chinese it was written in anymore. Also, which translation?

Simone de Beauvouir

user you silly, you silly as fuck.

Aristotle
>Invented and kickstarted formal logic
>Invented and kickstarted biology and zoology
>Devised a cosmological system that stayed vigent for centuries after his death
>His contributions to philosophy are still incredibly relevant nowadays

Honestly he may be one of the most influential persons to ever have lived.

>regurgitated Plato
>made some laughable unscientific claims
>had no original thoughts

7/10. Decent bait.

How do I start with him? I'm interested in his perspectives on learning from history and his critique of perceiving modern interpretations as somehow more "advanced."

>ctrl + f Nietzsche
>0 results

lmao

>>Invented and kickstarted formal logic
Which texts of his do I read to learn about this? Also, which Plato is necessary to start on Aristotle?

>people unironically name pre-20th century brainlets
>never heard of the Flynn effect

Bolzano
Aquinas
Aristotle
Leibniz

Bernard Placidus Johann Gonzal Nepomuk Bolzano

twitter.com/dril/status/866709784539648001

prob this guy

(You)

The organon

Nor can all the science, art, religion, and philosophy of the twentieth and twenty first centuries avail to educate greater men than Plutarch's heroes.

>Molyneux.

Leibniz, Nietzsche, Derrida

Ask how how the most top scientists now a day dont understand gravity eather with shit like anti matter ''existing''.

>didn't read more than two lines on Wikipedia on the Flynn Effect

>Derrida
I'm not against post-modernism like the /pol/babies that have invaded this board, but this is just categorically false.Of that entire French school of thought, Derrida was the least persuasive figure and a charlatan narcissist at that.To even mention in the same breath as Leibniz is a complete insult to philosophy.

Part of me hopes you're not joking, I gain an inappropriate amount of pleasure thinking that there are some people so stupid that they believe, in good faith, that Molyneux is one of the most intelligent philosophers.

Just drink it in.

>Of that entire French school of thought, Derrida was the least persuasive figure and a charlatan narcissist at that.

Who is Baudrillard?

tell him he's a massive degenerate for thinking that all scientific knowledge up to and including Isaac Newton is something that humans are naturally born with.

Nagarjuna, Leibniz

>tfw too 89IQ for philosophy

Badiou

Aristotle.

And, my boy, Jackie Derrida. Mainly cause he still rustles so many feathers.

reddit. jesus. locke. brainlet.

We all know Veeky Forums doesn´t read Nietzsche. If they did, they would not speak so lightly about him.

Heraclitus you plebs

Locke is unironically correct.

He knew the philosopher's place.

Jesus Christ

Plato, Aristotle, Descartes, Leibniz, Kant, Hegel
honorable mentions: Aquinas, Heidegger

>muh autist g*rman poet muhfugga

Witty, Kant, Augustine, probably Korzybski.

Archaeology of Knowledge

This.

Avicenna, heraclitus and heidegger.

this is not a good post

What are the chances that we never heard from the most intelligent philosopher? What if the most intelligent philosopher never wrote because he deemed his conclusions harmful or 2deep for mankind to understand? What if wrote but his books never made it past the filters of history?

for you

Sadly, I was joking, but there are plenty of people that do. I've heard Stef refer to himself as the modern day Aristotle.

Plato. No context.

I second that.

Leibniz, although Kant is the *best* philosopher.

He calls himself a fucking philosopher king!

H E G E L
E
G
E
L

C.S. Peirce,
Aristotle,
Leibniz,
Kant,
Schelling,
Deleuze (maybe)?

These types of questions always bother me, it's like saying whos a better painter, Da Vinci or Van Gogh...It's anti-intellectual. That being said, Stefan is one of the better modern philosophers. He's not affraid to speak the truth. And his ideas are new.

Hi Stefan

You mock him, yet I suspect you haven't even read Against The Gods, or any of his other work. Furthermore, I haven't heard a single original thought emerge from /lit in months, only pretentious babble. Open your eyes to new ideas and your soul will reward you for it.

I read his book on UPB. I admire his goal (it was more or less Kant's goal of the second critique), but it's fairly easy to pick apart. Some of his truth about videos are interesting at 2x speed though.

You actually read his work?

His extreme arrogance leading up to the release of the book made me read it. He was claiming that he "solved" moral philosophy. That was a decade ago and he hasn't become a better philosopher but he is a pretty solid meme.

Deleuze.

Plato (Socrates falls under this umbrella)
John the Evangelist
Paul of Tarsus
Augustine of Hippo
Nietzsche
Wittgenstein

honorable mention goes to Hegel
Marx/Debord/Gramsci/Marcuse/Guattari & Deleuze are runners up

Aristotle kickstarted formal logic, and as a predecessor of computer science and therefore Landian accelerationism we owe him an intellectual debt, but as a philosopher he was atrocious. Neo-Platonists btfo'd the Peripatetics

I forgot to mention Berkeley. He is a member of my canon.

Plato/Socrates
Aristotle
Heroclitus
Montaigne
Kant
Descartes
Schopie
Zapffe
Bataille
are my favorites

>Extreme arrogance
There's a distinct reflection of humility in everything he does. Molyneux's writings are filled with mercy and grace. I'm not sure how you arrived at this bizarre conclusion. I can only surmise that you did not any of his works, or perhaps you simply didn't understand them.

>Read only one of his works a decade ago. >Assume Molyneux hasn't progressed as a philosopher despite not reading anymore of his work.
>Name drops Kant to bolster his non-argument.

/lit is going downhill fast.

>aquinas

Intelligent… Maybe. A little too hung up on his hang ups, I think. Still my life coach

aristotle, plato, hume, kant, husserl, scheler, heidegger.

if I had to pick one I'd say hume.

descartes was a reductionist hack who advanced the field no more than a single sentence.

>Who is Baudrillard?

Foucault and Lacan are worse.

why were these people all influenced by Bataille

Oedipal complexes. Specifically fixation with the Great Mother's sphincter. The French are freaks.

>writes an whole novella about depressed dude fucking his slut mother
>character in Story Of The Eye that's raped by the main characters was based in Bataille's mother

checks out

I'm plenty familiar with your cult leader. Ancap lolcow turned statist bootlicker to cash in on the alt-right. Please defoo back to /pol/ so they can tell you to fuck off back to thedonald.

>What are the chances that we never heard from the most intelligent philosopher?

He don't know Nietzsche.

How did you know?

How do you guys feel about Althusser?

>Cult leader
Don't make me laugh. Every single significant movement or ideology throughout history has been slandered with that word by people who are unable to mentally move forward. It's quite sad really. I pity you, and those who have to put up with your concrete mindset.
>Cash in on the alt-right.
As in, he is paid for his viewpoints? If you have paid any attention at all to time, he has been very consistent in regards to his views. And even where his viewpoints have changed, I fail to recognize your point. What person of intellect doesn't evolve given enough time. Are Plato's beliefs in his early period dialogues congruent with his later ones? Of course not!
>Implying I would ever go to such a scum pit as /pol, or TheDonald...
Perhaps you should retreat to /pol and whine to the other plebs about our little discourse.

he's very smart. i think his accounts of ideology and the mode of production are still the best we have.

I'm super sorry Mr. Patrician Molyneux Defender. Can I please stay on Veeky Forums?

Well, since you embrace Zizek, I suppose you couldn't be all bad. Just remember, try to be an open minded individual, the universe will bless you for it.

hate Plat if you want
the dude is too important