It is feeling ultra reddit in here

Let's discuss things reddit will never understand.

Ancient history a paraphase: did Cy really have an effect on doms suicide? Was Cy a good person?

Smugglers bible: on a scale of 1-10 how comfy were the Duke and Tindall chapters?

The rainbow stories: do you agree with the skinheads when they said vollmann is a shit author?

The recognitions: what happened to hukilau the dog? Did wyatt and otto stat to redeem themselves at the end? Why didn't anyone learn to play life like max did? Who had the original table wyatt stole from his dad?

J R: why didn't bast just stop working for J R?

The sound and fury: why didn't Jason beat the shit out of Quentin jr?

Solaris: why did the scientists feel the need to get rid of there guests. I would have stayed on the ship and fucked mine until the end of time?

Mason and dixon: was mason afraid of his sons because they reminded him of Rebecca? How did dixon lift the tub? Why didn't he use his magic any other times?

The dead Father: what exactly was the dead Father? How big was he?

>to get rid of there guests

>>>reddit

Woops lmao. But honestly you didn't have to read that spelling mistakes to notice me stupid.

>Did Cyrus really have an effect on Dom's suicide?
They barely even fucking knew each other, that's like asking "did that dude he bumped onto in the street make him kill himself?"

I'd rather have reddit than annoying freshman pseuds discussing same mediocre American pomo trash. Fuck off and start reading actually good literature.

Are you retarded. Cy was stealing all the mail from doms family and hiding it from him

I already did now this is where I'm at. What would you like to talk about. Faggot.

>The dead Father
What's that?

Donald barthelme. Oh God reddit has taken over.

I've only read Cannonball and W&M so far from McElroy, planning on reading A Smuggler's Bible next. How do they stack up?

>Solaris: why did the scientists feel the need to get rid of there guests. I would have stayed on the ship and fucked mine until the end of time?

The constant reminder of a failed relationship where you feel guilty for someone's suicide isn't sexy fun times, you fucking sociopath.

Found the reddit fag.

American pomo containment general when?

Just make it up to her you little bitch. Make her breakfast in bed.

What's this spicy new anti Pomo meme?
Top zozz lads!are these the peterson fans from pol and tv ?

People who came from reddit and tried to read Pynchon, McElroy, and Gaddis but realized it's too hard for them. Now they have to meme it away before they're discovered as brainlets.

holy fuck lol

^^^ this. very very few people in academia give any kind of a fuck about the sot-weed factor or any of the books OP is posting about. these ppl have a ridiculously distorted understanding of the literary landscape because of their susceptibility to marketing campaigns and shit. you're not on some transcendent intellectual plane when you start doing basic psychological character analysis of the sound and the fury - it's just a single rung up from bottom of the barrel reddit-tier discourse. congratulations, the medium of your forum doesn't promote "le Hitchhiker's Guide is an UNFATHOMABLY sensitive & funny document of l'humaine condition" karmaposting, but Veeky Forums thread #400 about the fucking plot of infinite jest isn't much better. you people read books as though you were watching a movie, but there's just this whole plane of hermetic magic that you're missing out on - and the irony is that most of the books you jerk off into are completely tied up in the issue of text as a medium, trying to come to terms with the copernican revolution of postmodern subjectivity, while you're just treating them as a fun little intellectual exercise. there's nothing wrong with that per se, but again you're not some exalted intellectual for having read every flavor of the month literary sensation among american tastemakers from the last 50 yrs.

This is the most reddit post I've read all day.

BTFO

Is redditposting a thing now?

>an actually well articulated and thought out post is le rayddit xDDD
Why do you come to this board? Stay in you containment shitholes for ebin greentexts and contrarian memeing.

This is such a trite and shallow criticism of postmodernist lit and the people who like it. You've either never read the books OP listed, or refuse to admit that there are people out there who genuinely enjoy them because you didn't. If you spend a few hours on reddit, you'd see this same comment written 10 different ways every time someone brings up these authors. You're either ironically impersonating reddit, or completely oblivious to how much of a brainlet you look like. Please, expand on what you didn't like about The Sot-Weed Factor, without memes and Reddit-tier wording.

Okay if that guys so smart throw out some topics like OP did from some books he wants to talk about.

>well articulated and thought out
Just wow

Top reddit!
Up boat XD

Lads they have taken over.

This is such a trite and shallow criticism of this post and the people who agree with it. You've either never read actually books, or refuse to admit that there are people out there who genuinely have good taste, because you don't. If you spend a few hours on Veeky Forums, you'd see this same 'le plebbit' comment written 10 different ways every time someone brings up an objective assessment of American pomo. You're either ironically impersonating a typical sophomoric Veeky Forums user, or completely oblivious to how much of a brainlet you are. Please, expand on what precisely you don't agree with in the post, without memes and /mu/-tier arguments.

>le leddit kek
This board has really become nothing but retarded 13 year olds playing tribalism online. Sad!

ASSBLASTED 10000%TRIGGERED

>he writes five sentences to say 'lul reddit'
Impressive pseudery, my dude.

Well done. At least you have ten levels of sarcastic meta-post-ironic quasi-sincerity to hide your pointlessness behind.

The problem is that both sides act like "exalted intellectuals", all the fucking time. Everyone that's new to pomo looks down on people who don't like it as if they're less intelligent, and the other side truly believes they are smarter for having graduated past postmodern lit. It's sad to watch. I enjoy many works from both sides of that blurry line, and that original post is so reductive and based on assumption that I can't take it seriously. There are certainly people who fall into that category, sure, but to imply that anyone who enjoys Barth or Pynchon organically is doing so based on meme campaigns and never having read anything else is a little ridiculous as well.

Can we just stop being fags and discuss the books in my post. Jesus I come back and see a giant flame war lmao.

>The recognitions: what happened to hukilau the dog? Did wyatt and otto stat to redeem themselves at the end? Why didn't anyone learn to play life like max did? Who had the original table wyatt stole from his dad?
>J R: why didn't bast just stop working for J R?
>The sound and fury: why didn't Jason beat the shit out of Quentin jr?
>Mason and dixon: was mason afraid of his sons because they reminded him of Rebecca? How did dixon lift the tub? Why didn't he use his magic any other times?
These are the books i've read and they're the stupidest fucking questions I've ever heard. I'm guessing the questions on the other ones are as fucking stupid (I can tell that
>Smugglers bible: on a scale of 1-10 how comfy were the Duke and Tindall chapters?
>The rainbow stories: do you agree with the skinheads when they said vollmann is a shit author?
are shallow and stupid without having read the books).

back to le this

holy shit you're barbarians. you absolute fucking idiots. you're not even arguing.
i actually think postmodern lit is fine, almost every meme'd novel is fairly interesting in its own right - did you even read my post? my problem is the english 100-tier discussion of these books on Veeky Forums that holds itself to be some kind of gnostic mysticism that le redditeurs will never grasp. of course that's correct because you can't compare the understanding of a beetle to the understanding of a squirrel, but neither perspective is anything to brag about. you're spooked the fuck out to the point that you can only think of literary discourse in this absolutely base Veeky Forums/reddit dichotomy. stop being so fucking self-satisfied, clean your room etc.

I do see your point, and it's fair. I just believe that the same post could be made about the opposite side and be equally accurate. And, to be fair, a ton of people on reddit complain about how these books are too difficult (le art for art's sake meme) and give up on them, so, regardless of how misinformed or misguided the person making that criticism, it still holds true in a lot of ways.

>to imply that anyone who enjoys Barth or Pynchon organically is doing so based on meme campaigns and never having read anything else is a little ridiculous
True. However in the context of Veeky Forums it has merit. The amount of discussion both ironic and sincere about DFW/Pinecone/Gass/McElroy/Faulkner is absolutely insane and gets on the nerves. Even in the realm of pomo almost nothing else is properly discussed even though it's obvious that people read plenty of other works and mention them every once in a while. The parallel between HHGG on Reddit and IJ here is actually quite precise and poignant.

anyone mind a brief explanation of the Veeky Forums/reddit thing? i'm a simple person who roams Veeky Forums from time to time & i cant understand many jokes about this rivalry (im not english/kwan so i don't even bother in figuring out reddit unless i need the tutorials for dmt bongs)

reddit consumed Veeky Forums into its sphere of influence, making it a tourist destination at best, and a badge of honor at worst.

I agree. But, because I'm biased, I'd rather the here off be about IJ than any of the reddit memes. Either way, they are definitely valid criticisms, but I think it comes from something genuine. A lot of people are here reading Pynchon and Wallace for the first time, as they're a lot of people's introduction to postmodernism. I do wish there was a wider range of discussion, but this is the best we've got right now.

*the jerk off here...

Reddit has very simple juvenile tastes and surface level discussion when it comes to any media. Veeky Forums has a more deep and critical view (although it's still pretty basic as far as serious analysis and studying goes). So in theory 'back to le reddit' is a valid reaction to naive and stupid opinions, however considering that this board is completely infested by autistic 14 years nowadays who use the referral to reddit as an argument in itself, it basically lost nearly all meaning. Plus of course the fact that reddit has very liberal political views and Veeky Forums nowadays is /pol/+ rather than /b/+ as it once was.

the valuable stuff that appears on Veeky Forums largely comes from Veeky Forums crossposters. there are (or used to be) relatively solid discussions on plato, aristotle, kant, nietzsche, heidegger, wittgenstein, etc., even some people who knew their presocratics and hellenistic philosophers. i'm betraying my biases because i think the study of literature is pointless if you aren't approaching it from the standpoint of a total philosophy and using it as a tool to further shape your total philosophy, but asking something like "was cy a good person?" (disclaimer, haven't read ancient history a paraphrase) is just fucking boring if you're not approaching it from a complex and well-articulated ethical/aesthetic/metaphysical/existential/whatever standpoint.

this board also used to have a fascinating undercurrent of mysticism, there would always be a few active threads in which OP, high on a dissociative, would perform some Landian prophesy-freewriting shit, but nobody really wants to talk about the construction of the new gods anymore.

>discussing books
gay

This was supposed to be correcting a typo on my post above. Ignore me, I'm on my phone.

LMFAO wHo cAREAS HAHA Xd

faggot

oh thank you, i had figured out reddit being quite liberal. personally i find it a bit too boring and polite, teacher's pet - tier, as far as my country's subreddit (italy)

>15 posters

You guys having fun?

Tell me more about your hermetic mysticism you get up to in your ivory tower.

Yes it's actually pretty sweet to have a decent conversation in here.

Thank you for finally clicking into place what killed Veeky Forums. It was the creation of Veeky Forums. The great divide.
Fuck I miss old Veeky Forums.

Ye, reddit is shit when it comes to media/art/politics/cooking. However it's miles better than Veeky Forums when it comes to science/history/tech. You shouldn't bother with Veeky Forums or Veeky Forums and Veeky Forums is probably the single worst board in here.

But Veeky Forums seems to be /pol/+Grand Strategy Games nowadays whenever I pop in. Am I missing something good?

goodposters are aging and thus limited in hours active

no, every board degenerated rapidly when /pol/ babbies lost the benison of kek and flooded the rest of the site. Veeky Forums and Veeky Forums used to be very slow boards.

>Veeky Forums is bad

Veeky Forums is abysmal if you're not underage. The best you can get from it is a piece of specific maintenance advice. Everything else is just /r/Veeky Forums-tier ebin memeing and contrarian shitposting by bus riders and poorfags on antique shitboxes cosplaying Initial D.

>a board for literal babbies with worst tripfags in the history of Veeky Forums is not bad

So do you all enjoy wasting your time? I'm at least getting paid for it.

By (((whom)))?

>1 single reply to Solaris and an idiotic reply about ancient history

Yup reddit has taken over. Or if it hasn't you lot are slacking. I'm outta here.

>did Cy really have an effect on doms suicide?
he literally stole his mail so that he would feel more alone

>Was Cy a good person?
No. He's not the worst person but he's not a good one. Just look at how he pawned off his encyclopedia on Al.

>very very few people in academia give any kind of a fuck about...
literally who cares
academia is an intellectual and cultural wasteland

>my problem is the english 100-tier discussion of these books
that's a fair criticism; obviously we have our share of mental midgets, but usually these types of threads receive few replies (e.g. the daily 'did the judge rape the kid?' thread).

Veeky Forums is a good place to find books and chit-chat. That's really all it is. Every so often there is a good thread up, but usually it deals heavily with religion and ends up getting pruned. You have to be able to take the bad with the good.

all the threads you mention were on Veeky Forums before the creation of Veeky Forums and still appear on Veeky Forums today. i've participated in multiple quality threads on heidegger, nietzsche, and post-structuralism within the last month or two. the landian mysticism is still rather prominent as well, with a 200 post thread just last week. i agree with you about the study of literature, but "used to be good" is and always will be an untrue meme. we've always been the same quality, which of course overall is pretty bad. but there have always been good threads and Veeky Forums has nothing to do with it