Picked up a copy of pic related at the school store used for a few bucks. My question is...

Picked up a copy of pic related at the school store used for a few bucks. My question is, why is it so highly regarded in general but so hated on Veeky Forums? Who's right?

Are you really gonna listen to Veeky Forums? They think you should 'read the Greeks.' They're fucking retards.

Only fantasy/scifi these nerds like if book of da sun.

Why don't you read it and find out for yourself instead of making stupid threads?

It's a 1000 page book filled with purple prose and the plot is about a guy worrying about his debts. Rothuss is a terrible writer and his books need some heavy editing. You could condense book 1 and book 2 into a 500 page novel and you wouldn't lose anything

It's actually pretty good, the fanbase is just too Reddit

Its good, but could be condensed a great deal, theres alot of just nothing-ness, some will say it helps 'build the world'. Book 2.5 is the manifestation of this nothing-ness

I love genre fiction but that book was a complete letdown.

>book 2.5
Wait, what?

I loved it! Probably not loved on lit because it's not lit; it is however pure unadulterated entertainment that's incredibly engaging and fun. The writing is honestly not bad at all and I would even call it poetic at times

I think he's referring to a novella called The Slow Regard of Silent Things.

this one is merely bad. the sequel is the true monstrosity.

i agree

It's highly regarded because the bar for fantasy is set so low. It still made me cringe at certain parts. Veeky Forums shits on it because it's not patrician.

He did a novella following that homeless chick at the university whose name escapes me.

Rothfuss is a self-conscious pedantic bitchass pseudo. It's regarded because the writing sounds pretty at times (see title: silent regard of slow things) and Rothfuss is overeducated and stupid enough to act confident so he appears smart to dumb people.

I didnt like it because it is a whole bunch of emo bullshit and, Im serious, the main character is just Rothfuss but in a fantasy world where he is picked on and worthless but someday he'll prove everyone wrong. Its not all shit and you should still read it but i was pissed by the end. Also, those fuckers at the end of Old Man were straight out of Wheel of Time.

>watch panel with Rothfuss, RR Martin and who gives a shit
>Rothfuss goes all Ive been to college and starts making claims about Tolkien's use of maps.
>Martin goes all spergy and annihilates him over the fact that the he completely forgot the map of the shire which disproves everything Rothfuss just said
>i luld

agreed. the sequel is the first book but written even worse

>Rothfuss spent 9 years as an undergraduate at a shitty school

LMAO

Imagine everything wrong with contemporary fantasy writing taken to the extreme.
>way too fucking long for the sake of appearing epic
>enormous amounts of filler
>cliches and tropes out the ass
>protagonist is just a whiny dick who nobody would like if he wasn't the best at literally everything in the whole world
>prose which might look good if you've never attempted to read serious literature in your whole life
>Rothfuss does that annoying thing where every phrase is accompanied by an action, meaning that characters are constantly grinning, shaking their heads and flashing their eyes at each other during conversation

>gypsy piece of shit wants to learn real magic
>no money
>finally get into college
>starts having sex with broads, including a forest nymph which was the cringiest shit I've ever read
>how to be a beta orbiter: the character -- around some bitch not worth his time
>fuck around in college for way too long; tries to get in good with the autistic professor that rightfully hates his fucking guts
>story goes nowhere. He's a bartender or some shit with a satyr as a helper who said "fiddler's fuck" once

I read both novels. I should've stopped early into the first. I want Sanderson to smash his fucking head in.

Also if you're reading this, Pat, lay off the sex shit. I can tell that your character is a self insert idealized version of yourself.

that sounds great, you got a link?