ITT: books that turn you from child to man

I'll start.

Books do not induce maturity.

I'd honestly disagree. Reading above my level in youth certainly wrenched me out of naive fun of childhood into the cold reality of adulthood far too soon.

What should one read before tackling Stirner?

My fist in your face man

Just dive in and misunderstand it like most posters

In the middle of reading this right now. It's pretty infuriating how many assumptions Debord has to make in order for any of his poetic musings to approach even the shadow of sense, IMO. What's your take, user?

Assumptions such as...?

have you read marx or hegel?

They don't induce all of it, but they can certainly play a major role.

How do I experience Joyce? There's gotta be a chart for someone as prolific as him.

Prolific is probably not the best word to describe it. Read Odyssey, Hamlet, and preferably more Shakespeare and then Dubliners>Portrait>Ulysses, and then re-read everything, and even some more of the western canon if you like.

How is Hamlet/Shakespeare important here? I was under the impression it was just referencing the Odyssey?

The Greeks.

Why do people say "The Greeks" when they just mean Plato and Aristotle?

Because they actually mean The Pre-Socratics, Plato, Aristotle, Sophocles and Aeschylus. At the least.

Because the Greeks means Homer, Pre Socratic, Plato, Artistotle, Sophocles, Herodotus, Peloponnesian War, the Stoics etc. Greeklets will never understand how important they are until they actually read them.

Why do the playwrights/poets matter in the context of philosophy?

because alot of later philosophers pay homage to the greeks and critique their philosophies. It also allows you a better understanding of western society as a whole.

>critique their philosophies
Yeah, so why not just read the philosophers? I'm not looking for a literary critique of the Iliad.

>he read 1984 in highschool and now he wears a lot of black shirts

When we critique the philosophers it helps to understand on some level Greek culture and the impact it had on their modes of thought as cultural differences may lead to more nuanced differences than we may need understand. We can learn from the plays some of the cultural underpinning which later philosophers such as Nietzsche would learn from as well as being able to see beyond the judeochristian tradition that many westerners are influenced by, also they are pretty kickass.

i apologize for the spelling errors I have a migraine and this vodka isn't helping my typing ability.