Anyone here reads latin american literature? like Vargas Llosa or Gabriel García Márquez??

yes, what do you wanna know?

How about Borges, Carpentier and Pessoa?

Yes, I read literature of my country often.

pessoa is portuguese brah

R U L F O
U
L
F
O

i just want to know what books people have read.
just curious desu

i haven't had the oportunity to read borges yet, but its on my list

i haven't had the opportunity to read borges yet
but it's def on my list

woops lol

Books I think Veeky Forums will be into:

El Hombre que Amaba a Los Perros (The Man Who Loved Dogs) - Leonardo Padura, Cuba

Sobre Hombres Y Tumbas (On Heroes and Tombs) - Ernesto Sabato, Argentina

El Señor Presidente (Mister President) - Miguel Ángel Asturias, Guatemala.

recommend me some gabo pls

Ojos de Perro Azul is a very underrated short story collection. More experimental than his usual work.

>El Señor Presidente
Very amusing book

I am Latin American but don't usually read Latin American literature. It's too much self-obsessed with identity, with the assertation of a distinct cultural heritage, usually rooted in indigenous culture and revolutionary, left-wing politics, to be really interesting.

I like writers like Borges and Machado de Assis because they have an "universal" quality in their work. They are not held back by their identity, even when they refer back to it, it's only to talk about universal themes.

If Bolano had survived he would be GOAT

Imagine. 2666 would have only neem his halfway point. But the only reason he had such a good output was that he knew his life was cut short.

Of course I love Borges and Marquez, but my favorite S. American author is Alejo Carpentier

He was prolific before he saw death on the horizon, but sure, death encroaching spurred him to greatness, but part of that greatness is the sense of doom that permeates his work so who knows. I have enjoyed everything of his so far, the only books I've not yet read are Novelita and Third Reich.

Introduction to the literature of Río de la Plata: Borges, Felisberto, Cortazar, Gelman, Onetti.

Reading this at the moment, this so-called "perfect novel"

dope cover but super overrated book

Read Lezama Lima, his complete endeavour was to create an apolitical literature for Cuba.

>pessoa is portuguese brah
well Ricardo Reis did emigrate to Brazil at least

He wrote better short stories than novels.

>my favorite S. American author is Alejo Carpentier

here's your you

Here are some titles that deserve attention:

- Machado de Assis, Epitaph of a Small Winner [The Posthumous Memoirs of Brás Cubas] (and the rest of the trilogy)
- Euclides da Cunha, Rebellion in the Backlands [Os Sertões]
- José Donoso, The Obscene Bird of Night
- Clarice Lispector, The Passion According to G.H.

>The Invention of Morel
Bioy Casares' other stories aren't as good, but Morel is fantastic, an innovative setup for a meaningful payoff

>Lispector
Hour of the Star too

Op here and i'm surprised that you guys don't read Mario Vargas Llosa. Conversación en la Catedral is one if not my favorite book of all time

R O S A
O
S
A

The Feast of the Goat made the top 100 list. While I enjoyed Feast of the Goat, I thought The War of the End of the World was better. The Green House is on my shelf and on my to be read soon list.

Works of García Márquez are must reads.

without a doubt.
i don't know how many time 've read El amo en los tiempos del cólera

Op here again I found some books at my sister house which one should i burrow?

Here are some others
I actually know Alonso Cueto personally lol

Try this:
Crónica de un naufrago-gabo
Diablo guardian- Xavier Velasco
Habana para un infante difunto _ Guillermo cabrera infante
Aleph - borges
Silla del Águila - Carlos fuentes

Does it get better? I read about...I think 1/3rd of it before dropping it. It just wasn't interesting at all to me compared to OYoS or Autumn of the Patriarch

Give it another try my man.
I promise you're gonna like it

Relato de un naufrago is more like a write-up if i'm not mistaking right?

Finished Morel last night. I like the idea, but loathed the prose style and the narrator being full retard. the concept and anxieties about photography feels both very archaic in the age of instagram, and simultaneously very relevant.

may have to return to this one later and write a longer response.

>something written in 1940 doesn't fit into my instagram-addled worldview
>narrator is the dumb one
>may have to return to this one later and write a longer response
nah you've said everything you have

no need to be a reactionary, if you finish my sentence youd see i noted it was actually relevant and poses some newt observations one could actually apply to our instant o gram culture. im returning to the book later once ive contemplated it more.

i know youre used to edgy posters but calm down

faggot

The Cortazar and Marquez are excellent,I have not read any of the other ones.

thank you for revealing your stupidity

double faggot

Brazils are so full of themselves. worse than Argentinians.

Just so you know, this idiot ( ) is not me () and he is invited to fuck off and speak for himself next time

You are absolutely correct that I'm too accustomed to edgy posters and I took your earlier assessment as more one-sided and dismissive than it apparently was. I will give some thought to the points you bring up

just get a room you FAGGOTS

hello Veeky Forums

The last book I read was El Tunel by Sabato, I think next i'm reading Rulfo

I really want to read El Tunel. It's part of Sabato's "trilogy" how did you like it?

Not him but it's fantastic

I really disliked Sobre héroes y tumbas. What did you liked from it?

I've found "Os Sertões" almost Lovecraftian in it's description of the Brazilian backlands and its people. It gave me ideas for cosmic horror stories in that kind of setting (if I were a good writer, at least).

2666 needed to be 100% rewritten, basically a rough draft. fun fact