The Divine Comedy

Convince me to read this Veeky Forums. What causes it to be heralded as one of the most important texts of the western canon?

is good and poetic

Thanks, Veeky Forums

Any opinions on pinsky's translation?

He was recommended to me, but he's only translated the inferno, so who should i read for purgatorio and paradisio?

It's christian wankery. Of course it's relevant to the western canon

>What causes it to be heralded as one of the most important texts of the western canon?

Historically it was one of the first major works to be written in the vernacular. Up until this Latin was the standard choice for works intended to have scholarly or artistic merit.

Culturally its influence on Christianity is pretty enormous. All of that stuff Christians believe in that isn't actually in the Bible comes from this or Paradise Loft.

ricky gervais pls go

It was the first Fanfiction.

Is it really funny though? Because you seem more mad than anything.

What is the Aeneid

When people do bad stuff to you, you can imagine them getting hurt after they die

Depending on the severity of what's being done it can hurt them while they're living (destroying reputations, making some persons a laughingstock, financial ruin). You don't have to 'imagine' people suffering in hell.

Why do I feel like you're the retard from the r/books thread earlier about the fake 2017 list?

Is The Aeneid enough to read before diving in?

I have already read Homer and Plato. I haven't read any of the bible but I think I have picked up enough knowledge in passing from the Russians and my dad.

I'm not. I just have several books at my disposal and I'm trying to pick which one to start next

Veeky Forums is a Christian website. Reddit is probably more for you.

And Don Quijote was the first cosplayer.

Read the Aeneid and Bible, Dante didn't have access to the Greeks

>paradise loft

would read

You really don't need to read anything, it references people more then anything else; so unless you read the census for the time, with a detailed description of their life and life choices as well as their relationship with Dante, you will probably be reading a edition with footnotes anyway

holy newfag

Back to r/books

simbly eric xD

Yeah, I am from r/books. So fucking what. Can someone explain the joke to me?