Who's the most cultured writer that makes sure his (or "her" [lel]) reader knows how smart and educated he is?

who's the most cultured writer that makes sure his (or "her" [lel]) reader knows how smart and educated he is?

My vote goes to Victor Hugo.

Tolstoy also gets a mention because of his walls of french text.

Joyce for his constant references to obscure writers and Irish history that only three people in Dublin know about.

Nassim Taleb, but he isn't actually smart or educated, he just constantly derails each train of thoughts with discussions where he tries to convince you he's the smartest man alive

complete garbage.

this

shitty w. tbqh

So much. He spends 5% of the time starting to make a point but will always tie it back to how much of a "flaneur" (closeted dandy) he is.

>puts the [] inside the () instead of the other way round

At the time in Russia the aristocracy knew French almost by default. Not impressive at all.

Of the writers I've read, Umberto Eco and Miroslav Krleža come to mind as good examples of what you're looking for.

Also, this

>My vote goes to Victor Hugo.

this tendency is general to frogs. Balzac was like this. Houellebecq is like this. the really good ones get away with it but it still can get annoying

and the funny thing is, you get a good sense of who they HAVEN'T read because of all the namedrops

nabokov pretnds to know a lot about shit he is clueless about. nabokov in general is fairly mediocre, he is hyped by the establishment because he is deeply conservative.

Actually the opposite. He's hyped for being le edgy pedo guy.

>As the glossaries lengthen, as the footnotes become more elementary and didactic, the poem, the epic, the drama, move out of balance on the actual page. As even the more rudimentary of mythological, religious or historical references, which form the grammar of Western literature, have to be elucidated, the lines of Spenser, of Pope, of Shelley or of Sweeney Among the Nightingales, blur away from immediacy. Where it is necessary to annotate every proper name and classical allusion in the dialogue between Jessica and Lorenzo in the garden at Belmont, or in Iachimo's stealthy rhetoric when he emerges in Imogen's bedchamber, these marvellous spontaneities of enacted feeling become "literary" and twice-removed.

thanks for letting us know you have no idea about conservative society, carry on in your low born way of thinking

Give me some passages from Victor Hugo that illustrate your claim.

The answer is obviously, indisputably Navakov. All style, zero substances. Makes up for his mediocrity but writing shit in French, namedropping poets, and 3edgy5me subject matter.

Borges.

Not op, but in les mis he used to interrupt the plot to tell you the history of the slum it takes place in.

I kinda wanted to read Antifragile, is it any good?

que

>Miroslav Krleža

what do you recommend by him?

Why didn't you just ask, "Who is the most pretentious writer of them all"?

2L of cheapest Badel brandy with a fist to the face

>(or "her" [lel])
The majority of readers, be it literary works or genre fiction, are female

That's right. She's ugly pal.

Almost 1/4 of Hunchback of Notre Dame are just descriptions of (Medieval) Architecture.

¿Because Borges would be hors concours?

the "his" or "her" in that sentence are related to the (((gender))) of the writer - not the reader -, my illiterate friend.

she has a good body, family.

Can't remember her name, though. Google search perhaps?

So it is, sorry.

Jessica Beppler. I'm warning, she's ugly.

What language do you speak? Asking because some of his essential works haven't been translated into English.

Romanian.

The shittiest of all Romance languages

True.

I didn't have that feeling in Fictions, haven't read more though.

Well then, in English you have his novels, all three are more or less equally highly regarded, but Return of Fillip Latinovicz is the most popular (because it is required reading in Croatian schools). It is pretty dark, morbid and with little plot.
I don't know about the situation with Romanian translations, but if you can find "The Glembays" drama trilogy about the downfall of Croatian nobility or at least the first drama, "Messrs. Glembay", I highly recommend those as well. They are his most accessible and popular works (he realized that he can't live off the earlier bizarre expressionist pieces) but are still very deep.

Shakespeare.

>he isn't actually smart or educated
Nassim Nicholas Taleb (Arabic: نسيم نقولا طالب, alternatively Nessim or Nissim, born 1960) is a Lebanese-American essayist, scholar, statistician, former trader, and risk analyst,[1] whose work focuses on problems of randomness, probability, and uncertainty. His 2007 book The Black Swan was described in a review by The Sunday Times as one of the twelve most influential books since World War II.[2]

Taleb is an author,[3] has been a professor at several universities, serving as Distinguished Professor of Risk Engineering at the New York University Tandon School of Engineering since September 2008,[4] and as co-editor in chief of the academic journal, Risk and Decision Analysis since September 2014. He has also been a practitioner of mathematical finance, a hedge fund manager, a derivatives trader and is currently listed as a scientific adviser at Universa Investments.

Institutions
New York University Tandon School of Engineering (current May 2015)
University of Massachusetts Amherst
Courant Institute of Mathematical Sciences

Alma mater
University of Paris (BS, MS)
Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania (MBA)
University of Paris (Dauphine) (PhD)

If this guy isn't educated then who the fuck is?

Arthur "My Prizewinning First Year Essay"/"Just Leaving This Fourth Language Here" Schopenhauer

William Winwood Read

drawing from and citing near infinite absurd obscure sources: Borges, Eco, etc. a random one is contemporary female writer named Helen DeWitt

in terms of it being jarring/annoying first that comes to mind is Bellow. Disagree with Nabokov. Disagree with Joyce.

Tolstoy is an awful example. The Russian nobility spoke French, it was necessary to include, esp to highlight russian Europeanization and pretension

You guys keep mentioning Umberto Eco but I have yet to see him do this in anything other than Foucault's Pendulum.

What about The Cricket Beneath the Waterfall? Is it good? Is the only one I'd manage to buy now (nothing else is available in my country).

Personally enjoyed his first two books. His general attitude reminds me of Kutuzov's (as rendered by Tolstoy in War and Peace) which I must confess to admiring as well. This runs counter to many absurd defenses of Napoleon I've witnessed here over the years. As drawn by Tolstoy, i.e.

Roderick Chisholm. But I'm sure none of you plebs have ever read him.

Shameless bump for this answer.

How fucking typical of DFW haters to not mention him here. I'm a DFW fan, and even I know he made sure his readers knew that he was smarter than him. Dave Eggers, in the introduction of IJ, describes IJ as being locked in a room with a smarter-than-you uncle. Just proves that all these redditors don't even know valid critiques, just the same three meme responses over and over again

yo thats gangsta as fuck where u found that

Robert Burton :)

>Just proves that all these redditors don't even know valid critiques, just the same three meme responses over and over again

t. outraged kid who likes to larp as oldfag

go to bed, ghost of dfw

Fucking Calvino

Every time I read "Nassim Taleb" I have to read it backwards to make sure someone isn't fucking with me.

John "Cunt" Banville

It's a short story collection and I'm unfamiliar with his works in that area. It should be fine, though, he's a consistent writer.

I just finished Toilers of the Sea and fully half of that book was just an in-depth description of life on the Channel Islands. But honestly it was comfy as fuck and contributed to the themes of the book so I'm ok with it. I also think he was legitimately really fascinated with Guernsey, as that was where he lived in political exile and the mix of English/French culture intrigued him.

most pedos are conservatives

most pedos are gays

What's wrong with Borges? I haven't read any. I heard he makes you wanna try acid.

>So much. He spends 5% of the time starting to make a point but will always tie it back to how much of a "flaneur" (closeted dandy) he is.
>>>
> Anonymous 05/25/17(Thu)16:20:03 No.9551488
How the fuck did nobody teach him that it went [()]?!